So I made this Seax....Need ideas/opinions

• Authorized Vendor

So I made this Seax ....a very loose interpretation on my part of a broke back Viking/Saxon Seax. No...it's not historically accurate and don't claim it to be in any way shape of form. It's made from 1/4" thick 1070 carbon steel with texture and etchings in the blade. The handle has textured front and rear cast iron caps with pieces of copper, G10, bog oak, walnut and ash in between. The white ash has brass inserts and there is a good bit of carving in the handle. It is of hidden tang construction and the tang goes straight through the back and is threaded and capped.  12" blade and 17 1/2" OAL

UWhoSt1.jpg

1GL4Wbb.jpg

5kpjZOA.jpg

QfdQj5a.jpg

5lrw7O4.jpg

amMD9ng.jpg

Here is my questions to all of you. While this blade is perfectly serviceable as a weapon I'm thinking it may be displayed more than carried. Keep in mind the more options I'm about to offer up the more expensive It gets. So take a look and give me your thoughts and any additional ideas you may have and thanks.

One option is to offer a simple display stand along these lines...

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbj1cT4-5LmtFMcv00HQv1ujADcghtnnqgM_FY7pk1L2QH52MUY_Pg3VZmaqncP7XgKm9eOptpk5lTd9o8xouL3FTkluJCF7qb-jYbhUbB-Eh8rgHeL6UukA&usqp=CAE

Another is to offer a covered yet removeable case something like this...and can get expensive.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTg25w3zRpvQVmXILJSJhnrn94iyqkY29P7Xw1Wu7xkYmkV0nxE

Another is to offer a nice leather yet practical leather sheath something along these lines ...

small_100_4784_wm.JPG

Another option is to offer a more period looking sheath but doesn't really afford a modern belt carry option..

post-38879-0-58862000-1433181455.jpg

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Wow 1

:drool:

If I knew you could put Thor's hammer on a handle I would have talked to you about that before. Is it carved or branded? Can you do a Tiawaz rune?

I like and would use this, but the size does make it more of a costume or display piece. I would favor a stand or wall mount rack, maybe with the more traditional sheath displayed with but off it. A drinking flask would make a goid addition too. 

On the glass case, if you check with a local glass cutter, you might get something much cheaper than you think. I have had them cut me several custom pieces, but not a box. 

• Authorized Vendor
34 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

:drool:

If I knew you could put Thor's hammer on a handle I would have talked to you about that before. Is it carved or branded? Can you do a Tiawaz rune?

I like and would use this, but the size does make it more of a costume or display piece. I would favor a stand or wall mount rack, maybe with the more traditional sheath displayed with but off it. A drinking flask would make a goid addition too. 

On the glass case, if you check with a local glass cutter, you might get something much cheaper than you think. I have had them cut me several custom pieces, but not a box. 

If it's this then yeah I could do it.

tiwaz-100x100.gif

And the hammer is carved and power etched. Thanks for all your input.:up:

• Authorized Vendor
16 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

I like the open stand. Be interesting if could do a stand that knife and sheaf are both displayed. 

You selling this? 

I was leaning the same way. And yeah...I'll sell it but I was just trying to figure out the best way of offering it before I could nail down any kind of price.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Grand Torino said:

I was leaning the same way. And yeah...I'll sell it but I was just trying to figure out the best way of offering it before I could nail down any kind of price.

OK. I'm very interested in it when your ready. My new mancave is almost complete and this would be perfect for it. 

• Authorized Vendor
10 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Just curious, how much does this monster weigh?

I'm not sure but it's pretty hefty. And I think the ones made back in the day were even longer and heavier than this one. It took a real man to wield one back in the day I'd expect.:lol:

• Authorized Vendor
34 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

OK. I'm very interested in it when your ready. My new mancave is almost complete and this would be perfect for it. 

I'm gonna get my sheath guy involved and get some input from him. I'll let you know.

• Like 2

I'm thinking that since we can carry any blade we want, in the Great State of Tennessee, I would just want the sheath.  I'd be carrying that blade around while wearing my chain mail and Viking Helm!!!  Really beautiful piece! 

Along those same lines, my wife and I have been watching Netflix The Last Kingdom, which is about a warrior named Uthred, who fights for Alfred the Great against the Danes in South England circa 890.  Uthred carries a sword and long heavy Seax similar to this one, but throughout the show, you see several examples of smaller Seax.  It was the quintessential Bowie knife of the period and place.

For those with a more literary mind, this show is based on a series of books by Bernard Cornwell, with the same title.  In the first book, Cornwell goes into depth about the Seax that Uthred made and wielded.

• 4 weeks later...