Do It Yourself Gun Wipes

All right, I'll admit I'm cheap. But I get sick and tired for paying $5 and $6 for a Silicone cotton / flannel gun wipe cloth. I go through these things pretty quick. It doesn't take long before they wear, then they transfer a lot of lint on to your gun. Especially on any matte finished surfaces.

So I went to a fabric store and bought 2 yards of cotton flannel quilting fabric for just $2.49 @ yard. (I bought natural color. But you can get it in any color you like). I took a pair of pinking shears and cut it into 18" square sheets. I then spray them with silicone, (or you can use your favorite gun oil or rust preventive), fold them up and put them into 6" heavy duty zip lock storage bags. You'll end up with over 20 of them for what you will pay for one from Hoppe's or Outers. And they are of better quality.

You can keep several of them at home, in your range bag, on your reloading bench, or even in the pockets of your gun cases. Then you will never be without a way to wipe down your gun. And you won't be ripped off over paying for those crappy one's they sell at the gun shop.

https://www.joann.com/cozy-flannel-fabric/prd39349.html#prefn1=ecommercetype2&prefn2=refinementColor&prefv1=Snuggle%20Flannel%7CCozy%20Flannel&prefv2=Whites&icn=hpz1ba&ici=cozy-flannel&start=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/6-x-6-4-Mil-Heavy-Duty-Plastic-Reclosable-Zipper-Bags/107397076

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Pure genius @billt but you left out an ingredient.  What silicone spray are you using?

A modified version of "Ed's Red" (equal parts kerosene and synthetic ATF) provides good protection for stainless guns.  If you have wood stocks you have to be careful, though, since it can stain.  

8 hours ago, Garufa said:

Pure genius @billt but you left out an ingredient.  What silicone spray are you using?

I just use CRC Silicone Spray. It's available at Wal-Mart. But most any will work. I apply it sparingly. Just enough to provide a light coat on the cloth. Too much silicone isn't good for wood stocks. (Too much oil isn't either). I don't apply it with the provided tube. I just shoot it out of the nozzle. That way it provides a much finer spray on to the material, and disperses better.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-05074-Heavy-Duty-Silicone-Multi-Use-Lubricant-7-5-Oz/116439439

Another great product is Boeshield T-9. It was developed by the Boeing Company. It's rated very highly in Brownell's rustproofing test. It's available from West Marine. For high humidity applications, it will provide very good rust protection.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=boeshield+t-9

Edited by billt
  • Like 2

I should add that I like and use Microfiber cloths as well. They are cheap, soft, absorbent, and effective. But in many applications I find them too thick. That, along with the fact they hem them around the edges, which makes them somewhat difficult to get into small confined areas in actions, inside magwells, etc. But for a quick, overall wipe down, they are also good to have around.

One thing I have started doing that helps A LOT, is after cleaning, oiling, and wiping down, I allow the gun to sit for 48 hours with the muzzle down over a paper towel. (You can place it into a gun case with a piece of paper towel wrapped around the muzzle to prevent anything from soaking into the case itself). Then lean it against a corner of the room.

This allows any and all excess oil, solvent, and liquid to drain down out of the action, through the barrel into the paper towel. You'll be surprised at how much runs out. This prevents this excess liquid and lubricant from running into the action and soaking into the wood surrounding it. I even do it with AR's and other synthetic stocked weapons. Then after 48 hours, store the weapon normally.

I just cut up 4 yards of cotton flannel material I bought yesterday for $13.00. It yielded a total of 45 one foot square wiping cloths. I have 36 heavy duty 8 mil zip lock bags coming next week, so I can individually treat and package them. 45 treated gun wiping cloths at $5.50 each would run $247.50. These will most likely last longer than I will.

I'll treat them with different oils and rust preventatives. Then mark them on the bags. You can put motor oil in a trigger spray bottle to apply it. It works pretty well. Then allow them to soak it up for a few minutes. Then fold and package them, and you're good to go.

• Like 1