Neeed some thought about a problem!!!

bersaguy

I have a problem with Darby I cannot figure out. We went to bed at normal time and had our nightly routine of night snacks and TV and when she finished her milk she went and laid down on there bed for the night. I watched a little more TV as normal, turned of the TV, lights and said a normal good night Darby as always. I woke up about 3 am with heart burn from Pizza earlier so went in to the kitchen  still half asleep to  get some cold water and found Darby sleeping on the hard floor infront of the dish washer. She got up when I entered the kitchen and went and layed on her big bed in the living room which is where she was at when I woke up to get up and start our day. She wanted out as normal and went out as I got her breakfast made and I let her in and that was when I began to see the change in her. She didn't eat and she would not lay down and wanted to be very close to me. After I ate breakfast and had a cup of coffee I took her out for the morning walk and instead of her going and sniffing everything she stayed pretty much close to me. She did business and we played sticks with is fetch with a few sticks we play with. Then we walked more and I got to cold to remain out side so we came back to the house but she refused to come in the house. I spent 20 minutes trying to coax her back into the house. Finally I ask her about going by bye in the Jeep and she ran to the jeep and that is where she is right now. Laying down in the back seat.

She has never acted like thsi before but she acts like she is scared to death of the house. Has anyone ever gone through this with their dogs. If so please chime in cause I am baffled on what to do. I will be taking her for a ride in a little wile and see if that helps. I can tell by her breathing that she is stressed out.

4 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have a problem with Darby I cannot figure out. We went to bed at normal time and had our nightly routine of night snacks and TV and when she finished her milk she went and laid down on there bed for the night. I watched a little more TV as normal, turned of the TV, lights and said a normal good night Darby as always. I woke up about 3 am with heart burn from Pizza earlier so went in to the kitchen  still half asleep to  get some cold water and found Darby sleeping on the hard floor infront of the dish washer. She got up when I entered the kitchen and went and layed on her big bed in the living room which is where she was at when I woke up to get up and start our day. She wanted out as normal and went out as I got her breakfast made and I let her in and that was when I began to see the change in her. She didn't eat and she would not lay down and wanted to be very close to me. After I ate breakfast and had a cup of coffee I took her out for the morning walk and instead of her going and sniffing everything she stayed pretty much close to me. She did business and we played sticks with is fetch with a few sticks we play with. Then we walked more and I got to cold to remain out side so we came back to the house but she refused to come in the house. I spent 20 minutes trying to coax her back into the house. Finally I ask her about going by bye in the Jeep and she ran to the jeep and that is where she is right now. Laying down in the back seat.

She has never acted like thsi before but she acts like she is scared to death of the house. Has anyone ever gone through this with their dogs. If so please chime in cause I am baffled on what to do. I will be taking her for a ride in a little wile and see if that helps. I can tell by her breathing that she is stressed out.

What are you using for heat?  Do you have carbon monoxide monitors?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omega said:

What are you using for heat?  Do you have carbon monoxide monitors?

Natural gas heat and yes I have two smoke and toxic gas detectors in the house and just put new batteries in the at clock change time and tested both of them.

Update:  I have a friend that I called to come and see how she reacted to him. Back when I first got Darby it was a rocky start. I got here on Wednesday and had my heart attack on Saturday and after William got me to the hospital I asked him to take care of Darby and he promised he would. He fed her everyday in the evening. He came over a couple times a day and took her out and played fetch with her and some nights he would take her home with him to spend time with his two small house dogs then bring her back home. She still loves him to this day and when he stops by she won't leave him alone and keeps taking toys to him trying to get him to play with her. She even brings him a dog biscuit that she has hid someplace and gives it to him.

Well it took a little of William working with her to coax her out of the Jeep but she finally gave in when he walked over and picked up a couple sticks to play fetch. She seemed to be relaxing while playing so when she got ready to quit he threw a stick and she didn;t go after it so Wiliiam and I came to the front door of the house and she stopped about 20 feet from the door and laid down. William walked out and petted her a few times and walked towards the house and she acted like she was going to come in and got about 10 feet from the door and sat down. William took her short leash out and hooked her up and she followed him in the house.

After he left she seemed a lot less stressed but I was not going to let her get back stressed so I took here for a walk out around the yard and instead of coming back in the house I took her for a ride in the Jeep to a park ad we walked around a little, back in the jeep and go gas it up. Then come home like normal. Let her out and she jumped out normal and came in the house and began eating her breakfast I have put down earlier. She is acting like nothing happened. Ate supper and chased squirrels out in the yard and right back in the house.

I have no clue what was bothering her this morning at all the way till noon or a little after William left and we went for the ride. William said the wind was howling late last night I didn't hear anything but Darby is really scare of thunder storms but normally when they start I can find her in the bathroom laying on the bathmat. That is her safe place during storms. She picked that when the first thunderstorm happened when she came here to live.

Thanks to everyone that offered advice and showed concern. I don't guess we will ever find out what it was but I sure hope it never happens again.

• Like 1

Bersaguy, my wife and I talked this over and here is what we came up with.

We get wasps and even a rare scorpion inside our house in winter. It's possible she got stung, didn't know what happened herself, and was afraid to go back to that location or even to go into the house. That could also explain why she was off her regular eating for a while. Other than carbon monoxide or a gas leak, we couldn't come up with anything else.

• Like 1

Well new day and pretty much same as yesterday morning. I noticed right off that she didn't eat her night snack which is a first. She was sleeping in the same place as always so I did nt bother her. When I got ready to sleep, did as always and turned off TV and light. said good night to her and went to sleep.

Got up this mroning, dressed in warm clothes cause I knew she would want to go out right away. Made her breakfast and by then she is normally at the door needed to go out but was not there. She came running out of the bedroom when she heard me open the inside door. I normally just open the door andlet her out and she goes out and is back at the door to come in in less then 5 minutes but by the way she was acting I decided to finished putting on my big coat over my hoodie sweat shirt and went we out for our what would have been our normal walk after breakfast. We walked all over the three back yards we normally do and I could see she was much more hyper than normal. As I started to work my way back towards the house as I got about 20 feet from the door she stopped and laid down. I called to her about 4 times and she just laid her ears back but would not come to me.

I came in the house and got her short leash and went out and hooked her up and she stood up and reluctantly came to the house undragged. Once in the house she imediately wanted back out.

Back when Kasey was about a year old I began working with her on a cable run. I had one installed and the main run cable is 100 feet. On that cable was another 30 foot off lead and she could stretch it out off the main cable and actually go 130 feet at the far end. She went on that cable every morning and had her own dog house she could get in during the day when it was cold till I brought her in at night. It the summer time her favorite place to lay was under the boat in the carport on the concrete floor cause it was cool.

When I got Darby, because she minded so well I decded I would not use the cable unless forced to and up until now I have not needed it but I did always keep it in good working order such as cable lubed and runner wheels lubed and working perfect.

Well Darby really wanted to go back out so I hooked up the cable run ad put here on it and walked with her to the end of the run so she would know how far she could go and how big an area she would have to moved around in. I then came back in the house and watched he through the kitchen window. She came all the way back to with in 10 feet of the door and stood a few minutes and then laid down on the cold ground. I left her out another 10 minutes and went out and led her back to the door and into the house.

She stayed close to me and would stare at the bedroom like she wanted to go back and lay down but would not do it. Instead I kept to Bait room door cracked most of the time and she nosed that door open and went in and laid down in a corner of that room. If she is not scared to be in there I will put her a bed in the corner she has chosen so she can at least get some rest.

I have been racking my brain what there is of it to try and remember if Kasey ever acted like this and I can remember bits and pieces of her acting strange and I could not hear it but one of the smoke detectors had a batery get low on power and it would beep ever so often but not loud enough for me to hear it but she could and she would go to the door to go out which I had trained her that is they went off to go to the door so I could e sure and get her out in case of a fire.

I would let her out and if I didn't go with her in a minute or two she would come back in. About an hour later she would do it again. I ahd a friend stop by and while he was here he heard to detector beep and he said you have a smoke detector with a low battery somewhere and it was in the bedroom. That was an old one so I just took it down and bought a new Smoke and Toxic detector next time out and put it up. Kasey was fine again.

So today I will be taking down that detector and remove the battery and put all new batteries in all of them in the house and see if that might be Darby's problem. My fancy cell phone will beep like that when a message comes in so I will be plugging it up in the living room and turning it off.

I am determind to figure this out. If any of ya'll have any ideas please throw them out on the table regardless of how they sound cause I am asking for ideas.

Thanks

You say you have Smoke and toxic detectors.  You may want to look into a dedicated carbon monoxide detector.  Some of the newer dedicated carbon monoxide detectors are designed to be located 5 feet above floor level which is usually lower then where most smoke detectors are mounted.  Just a thought.

Edited by MP5_Rizzo
correction
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

You say you have Smoke and toxic detectors.  You may want to look into a dedicated carbon monoxide detector.  Some of the newer dedicated carbon monoxide detectors are designed to be located 5 feet above floor level which is usually lower then where most smoke detectors are mounted.  Just a thought.

I will look into getting one of those cause I have never trusted gas heat 100% anyway is why I got 2 Smoke and Toxic detectors when I moved in here. I'm not sure the detector your talking about would be of benefit being lower to the floor since all my vents are in the ceiling in this house.