Guitar guys...help me out please.

gregintenn

Would you rather receive for Christmas a new Mexican Standard Stratocaster, or a gently used 2012 American Standard Stratocaster?

These options are roughly the same price, and one of them will be my a Christmas present for my older son.

I think I know the answer, but would like a bit of reassurance.

Edited by gregintenn
1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

Not followed guitars in a while. Do they still make Japanese Strats? They used to be better than the Mexican but not as good as the US from what I remember. 

Is he a new musician  or older established one?

He's new. I don't think they still make a Jap Strat.

I am a guitar guy, with an expensive collection. The used American will hold it's value much higher. Used MIM Fenders sell of $300 regularly, with some folks thinking they are $500+. They aren't. The fit and finish of the MIA will be much better than the MIM. The MIA will also use much better components than the MIM. I own a lot of Asian guitars, I think all of them are to be honest. Korea and Indonesia are making some really solid instruments these days, and I have a few Chinese axes that aren't bad either.

Something else to take into consideration is an amp. An amp affects the sound as much as the guitar. Cheap amps are cheap. Even more so than a cheap guitar. A Fender Mustang is a good low budget option, because honestly, a good amp costs as much as a good guitar.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I am a guitar guy, with an expensive collection. The used American will hold it's value much higher. Used MIM Fenders sell of $300 regularly, with some folks thinking they are $500+. They aren't. The fit and finish of the MIA will be much better than the MIM. The MIA will also use much better components than the MIM. I own a lot of Asian guitars, I think all of them are to be honest. Korea and Indonesia are making some really solid instruments these days, and I have a few Chinese axes that aren't bad either.

Something else to take into consideration is an amp. An amp affects the sound as much as the guitar. Cheap amps are cheap. Even more so than a cheap guitar. A Fender Mustang is a good low budget option, because honestly, a good amp costs as much as a good guitar.

I went with the American.

Thanks everybody!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Would you rather receive for Christmas a new Mexican Standard Stratocaster, or a gently used 2012 American Standard Stratocaster?

These options are roughly the same price, and one of them will be my a Christmas present for my older son.

I think I know the answer, but would like a bit of reassurance.

I had a guy tell me once I could get a Fender made in Mexico by Mexicans or an American Fender made in U.S.A. by Mexicans. Anyway, I think you made the right choice.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

That's what I was thinking as well. 30 years or so ago when I played a lot, I had a Peavey Stereo Chorus, which was a pretty nice amp then. It doesn't work so well now. I went last night to look at amps. I was going to buy two; a cheap practice amp he could take with him to college, and a nicer one for home. The Fender Champion 20 I decided to get for him impressed me enough that I just bought two of them. It is much better than the old Peavey was when it worked as it should, and was less than $90 new!

If we get serious about it, I can always get a nicer amp, but I've been out of it so long I didn't know much about them, and the little Fender entertains me well so far.

They've come a long way in amplifiers it seems.

I bought his Stratocaster on ebay. I'm sure excited for it to get here so I can try it out before wrapping it for Christmas!

My younger son got a Taylor Big Baby for his birthday in September, and he seems to be learning quickly. This made his older brother want to learn as well. In turn, I'm starting to get back into it as well. Fun stuff.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 5