Arisaka type 99

I have inherited a WWII bring back from my step father who inherited it from his father that brought it back from WWII and would like to shoot it. So I'm looking for a soft load but being a chrome bore it really likes the high velocity ammo. Does anyone have any powder they would recommend for it. I am not looking for recipes as I will work up a load slowly, just looking for powder recommendations. Thanks every!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Sunfish said:

I have a box of 7.7 Norma brass you can have. I went out of the Jap rifle business long ago. Might have some .311 bullets I'll have to look. Message me if your interested

Absolutely!!! I am also in Sumner county, just let me know where and when!!

On 11/28/2018 at 6:09 PM, bucnball said:

From what I have seen the 7.7 Japanese & the British 303 are the same ,except the 303 is a rimmed base cartridge ! So it figures any load for a 303 Enfield would probably suffice. 

There are several 7.7mm Japanese cartridges.  The one used in the Type 99 rifles and light machine guns is timeless and NOT similar to .303 British.  It is similar to our .30-06.  

The Type 99 Arisaka is a very strong action.  Modern factory ammo is perfectly fine to shoot in your rifle. There are good online references for military copy loads.

Gunboards.com has a Japanese weapons board with knowledgeable folks.  You might start there.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.