Would You Prefer Your Hockey Puck in .357 or .45 ?

volshayes

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, volshayes said:

What's sad about this video is that is was done to be serious. If I saw it on Facebook or somewhere I would think it's satire.

3 hours ago, Tuffus said:

What's sad about this video is that is was done to be serious. If I saw it on Facebook or somewhere I would think it's satire.

Nope, it's for real.  Listen in the video below and around the 3:35 mark, they discuss the hole puncher.  It must be a 12 gauge hole puncher, since they talk about it being such a dangerous weapon.

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/372958151-video

9 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I saw that on TV yesterday. It just goes to show how little these people understand what it’s like to face an active shooter. they are making a joke out of it.

You got that right.  They've never experienced being on the receiving end of the barrel, and probably never on the giving end, either.

When I first heard about the hockey puck defense, I thought it was a hoax. After reading about it, I wondered if they were going to advocate an active opposition, why not use something inexpensive and easier to deliver to target.

My first thought was a slingshot with steel or lead balls. Then, I realized why a school board would NEVER vote to use slingshots... you could actually hurt someone with a slingshot!

I just did some research. A 1/2" steel ball weighs 129gr and can be shot at 240fps. That's 17ft-lbs of force. Not much compared to a 22LR at 40gr at 900fps for 72ft-lbs of force, but the slingshot would be a pretty serious deterrent.  Imagine stepping into a classroom and getting hit with 15-20 steel hex nuts moving at 240fps. One headshot would probably incapacitate the shooter.  As a kid, I could shoot a slingshot 3-4 times in a few seconds. 

Schools could keep the slingshots in a lockbox to only be used in a shooter event. Kids could attend a training session once a semester. 

I'll admit this isn't a great idea, but it is lightyears better than hockey pucks. Heck, half the kids today can't even throw a baseball.