Seasoned oak and hickory wood.

If no one knows of anyone selling any , , I'd get in your truck or car and go riding down some highways or back roads. I always see someone selling oak  and or hickory in their front yard for cooking and/or firewood. I built my own BBQ pit and I use regular oak wood that I cut myself and oak tastes just as good if not the same as hickory. Here's my old fashioned style pit I made myself  and my wood burn-barrel in the background. Best thing I ever made. I can cook about 20 shoulders at a time for around 12-15 hrs and it's worth every hour of it. Shoveling wood coals from my burn-barrel to the pit every hour to keep it at 220 degrees. Low and slow.

IMG_0898.jpg

Edited by tercel89
adding picture
  • Like 2

I don't know if there is any members here that travel Lebanon Road between Hermitage and Mt. Juliet but their use to be a huge place across from Shilo Plaza on the right side going towards Mt.Juliet that sold wood. Split and round logs for fireplaces and wood stoves. I have not been through there in a couple years so don't know if it's still there. Maybe a member here can tell you if they are still selling wood there.

I forgot to add that before I started cutting my own wood from the forest to cook with , I would go to a local saw mill and buy a bundle of oak slabs . A whole bundle is around $20 -$30 . They are heavy and so it took me 2 trips to carry them home in my utility trailer. When I'd get them home I'd use my chain saw to cut them into firewood size. I cooked from that bundle of slabs for several batches of BBQ . Here's what the slabs looked like after I cut them.

10538_594746700545591_299995853_n.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I have a feeling that pup loves a camera huh?..............😄

That "pup" is an old man 😄. My son picked him out when he was in kindergarden and now he is in his 3rd year of college. Now he's watching my daughter go through school. He loves the camera .

2 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

That "pup" is an old man 😄. My son picked him out when he was in kindergarden and now he is in his 3rd year of college. Now he's watching my daughter go through school. He loves the camera .

I was teasing about the Pup part........LOL I could tell by that gray face that he's a very old Pup.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, tercel89 said:

If no one knows of anyone selling any , , I'd get in your truck or car and go riding down some highways or back roads. I always see someone selling oak  and or hickory in their front yard for cooking and/or firewood. I built my own BBQ pit and I use regular oak wood that I cut myself and oak tastes just as good if not the same as hickory. Here's my old fashioned style pit I made myself  and my wood burn-barrel in the background. Best thing I ever made. I can cook about 20 shoulders at a time for around 12-15 hrs and it's worth every hour of it. Shoveling wood coals from my burn-barrel to the pit every hour to keep it at 220 degrees. Low and slow.

IMG_0898.jpg

Love that smoker.  Looking to build one like that myself.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, cmsmith712001 said:

Love that smoker.  Looking to build one like that myself.

All I did was level the ground and lay the blocks and fill in he holes inside the blocks with sand . I didn't even concrete them togather. The sand insulates the heat so it cooks better. One block from the top I put some rebar which holds the metal grate that I put the meat on. The top is just some old plywood.

13568791_1217711904915731_2318147563340483040_o.jpg

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 2