Shades of "One Second After" (book)

You can chain up to 4 of the Nomad 7s. One is good for charging small handheld devices like phones, headlamps, etc. It only outputs 1A so it won't charge larger items like tablets. Or if it will, it would take a loooong time. I don't know what effect chaining them has on the output. Check with GoalZero's site for details if that interests you. They also have larger models.

I'd probably use mine to keep my battery packs topped up and then use the battery packs to charge the devices. I have an Anker PowerCore 10000 (10000mAh) that does 2.4v output. That's enough to charge an iPad and the new iPhones, but not as quickly as the new Apple fast chargers. I get about 5 1/2 full charges of an iPhone 6 out of it. An iPhone X would get about 4 full charges.

• Like 1

To the OP, granted an EMP may never come, however the grid is getting pretty old and the fact that a lot of the huge transformers are custom made in foreign lands doesn't make me feel all that great. As for the"prepper" term, all of the generations from 1920 and before were self sufficient. They all grew a garden and had livestock as they only bought what they couldn't produce themselves such as salt, sugar, coffee, tea, flour. I have an older neighbor that told me his mother didn't feel good unless she had 100 quarts of green beans canned each summer. Food for thought, no pun intended.

@Dirtshooter

I agree 100% with your post. Our infrastructure repair and updating has been at the bottom our Elected Officials "To Do" list for some time now.

The preparations we make and skills we learn (speaking of my family) are to only improve our day to day life situations and lessen our dependency on institutions and the 3 day JIT delivery systems in place.

Even living in a subdivision we are still able to garden, therefore we've learned to can, dehydrate, and freeze (yes Virginia you need to prepare food for the freezer LOL) foods.

I was just out this morning setting up our new Honda eu2200i gennie. Sweet and quite little sucker. Much quieter and easier to run that the work site Coleman Vertex we had for 18 years.

We lost power for 9 hours last month due to winds. While I didn't mind a day without power, I love to read and we have several propane stoves and heaters, it'd still be nice to pop in a DVD if we choose.

And going to the basement pantry to "shop" is kinda convenient. :)

So while I hope, and Pray,a wide spread disruption isn't in our future, I hope to be able to maintain our lifestyle as close to "normal" as possible.

Just my ever devaluing $.02 worth.

• Like 1
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, Mark A said:

It's been a couple of years so maybe I need to reread one year after. It seems like I remember not liking it very much.

I'm hesitant to buy the final day...

I didn't like the book. It's just too depressingly accurate. I haven't read the last installment either. 

I've been depressed enough lately. I don't need any further help in that department.

But the book(s) are a great wakeup call for anyone concerned about life and living during and after an emergency or disaster event.

Jamie...thanks for the info on the lanterns. I just ordered one to check it out.

• Like 1
On 12/10/2018 at 10:39 AM, Jamie Jackson said:

I intended to ask about a solar charger the when you posted this...then work happened LOL.

Do you (or anyone) have a solar charger that would serve this purpose that you would recommend?

I have the Goal zero Nomad 20 with the power pack. The power pack consists of rechargable AA batteries. You can charge the power pack by day and then plug your phone, tablet, etc into the charged power pack, or you can just use the recharged batteries in something else. It works good. I got it for extended backpacking / remote hunting trips, but it serves double duty for a power outage.

https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Nomad-Solar-Panel/dp/B00GU64KV8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544976611&sr=8-3&keywords=Goal+zero+nomad

• Thanks 1