Shades of "One Second After" (book)

While a low probability it's still a high impact event.

My wife and I both read this article yesterday. We hadn't mentioned it to each other until we lost power last evening for a few hours. We just kind of looked at each other and said..".Hey, did you see that EMP article linked off of Drudge today?" ;)

Just food for thought. As I mentioned, very low probability. But it still makes me happy we've altered our lifestyles just a bit in so far as (and the term is becoming a bit antiquated) prepping has become a normal facet of our general way of life. I'm not talking a "bunker mentality", just making certain events would have less of a negative impact on our lives than would would have 15 years ago.

btw...we recently picked up 2 more Streamlight Siege Lanterns. That brought us up to 4 of them. They are 540 lumen D cell battery operated little lanterns and are a far cry better than the older Coleman lanterns we used post-Katrina. Having light is kinda nice. :)

Article:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/military-warns-emp-attack-could-wipe-out-america-democracy-world-order

Streamlight Siege lanterns:

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-44931-Compact-Alkaline-Batteries/dp/B00DII7CTI

One Second After... surely you've read it. Just in case...

https://www.amazon.com/Second-After-John-Matherson-Novel/dp/0765356864/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1543742705&sr=1-1&keywords=one+second+after

Jamie

• Like 1

I'm not a preper either. The way my health has declined in the last couple years I don't even buy green Bananas anymore. Found out the other day on the news that the FDA said some Blood Pressure medicines doctors have been perscribing for quit a few years causes cancer and one of them I have been taking for over 18 years. Can't really fault the doctors since acccording to the news they just discover this about 6 months ago.

My heart attack and surgery for it will be a year old next month and I'm still not running on all cylinders yet but doing everything to doctor tells me to do. He said walking was important. No need worrying about that part. Darby has to walk at least 5 times a day rain or shine. I know my neighbors think I have lost my mind out in a heavy  rain walking her but rain does not bother her as long as theres no thunder in it.

Oh well, just another day in Paradise!!!!..................:up:

Well I'm not exactly encouraging anyone to be a "prepper"... I thought it was interesting to see that even .gov and our Military recognize the EMP potential still exists and really haven't taken many, or any, steps to protect our infrastructure. At least to my knowledge.

And...I like having lights inside when it's dark outside LOL

• Like 1

I am reading the follow up One Year After  right now. Good stuff. 

I fully think every person and  family should be prepared for "normal" emergencies such as floods, blizzards, and short term power outages. Having basic supplies like extra blankets, flashlights (or lanterns 👍), ready to eat foods, and non-electric alternate heat is not being a "prepper",  but just being prepared. I know a bunch of people that would starve if they had to survive on the food in their house for more than a day or 2. I mean mystard and batteries are all that is in tgeir fridge. 

Now for the larger calamities such as an EMP strike, social collapse, or a pandemic each person has to decide for themselves. I personally hate not being prepared for things like taking notes at a meeting. So you can guess, I prefer to prepare for larger issues. My family does not share my concern. It is "crazy talk" according to them. Even though I am not a "bunker and beans" type of guy. 

I watch for older manual tools around and have tried to collect a few just in case. If I can find them at a bargain, then it does not affect the family budget. If things did happen, I want a few more options than a hammer, screwdriver and shovel. Especially with no power, rebuilding woukd be hard. 

While I try to plan ahead just like we do by buying insurance, I also hope we never need it, just like insurance. 

• Like 2

Back in 2003 Hurricane Elvis taught me some powerful lessons. I'm not exactly the bunker and beans type either. But, if it came down to it, I can survive for a couple of months on what I have.  So I can outlast most of my neighbors who will be starving in a week and moving on to greener pastures. 

That is if I can manage not to get murdered for my supplies.  :eek:

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Mark A said:

It's been a couple of years so maybe I need to reread one year after. It seems like I remember not liking it very much.

I'm hesitant to buy the final day...

This.

I think my expectations were set too high for One Year After. Still I feel kinda obligated to complete the series...so maybe I'll throw it in my Prime basket.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Back in 2003 Hurricane Elvis taught me some powerful lessons. I'm not exactly the bunker and beans type either. But, if it came down to it, I can survive for a couple of months on what I have.  So I can outlast most of my neighbors who will be starving in a week and moving on to greener pastures. 

That is if I can manage not to get murdered for my supplies.  :eek:

That is where your gun hobby and ammo come into play....

• Like 1
On 12/2/2018 at 3:27 AM, prag said:

Check out something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-Rechargeable-Collapsible-Flashlight-Emergency/dp/B00NIL1DFO/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1543845015&sr=1-4&keywords=thorfire

No need to store batteries. Add in a small portable solar charger and you'll only need the crank as a backup to your backup but it's there if you need it.

That said, in case of a massive EMP, nobody knows for sure if any of these LED lights will survive. Being able to supply power to a fried LED won't do much. The only sure way of having light after an EMP is a fuel-burning light source like ye olde kerosene lantern or a torch.

Edited by monkeylizard
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

Check out something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/ThorFire-Rechargeable-Collapsible-Flashlight-Emergency/dp/B00NIL1DFO/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1543845015&sr=1-4&keywords=thorfire

No need to store batteries. Add in a small portable solar charger and you'll only need the crank as a backup to your backup but it's there if you need it.

That said, in case of a massive EMP, nobody knows for sure if any of these LED lights will survive. Being able to supply power to a fried LED won't do much. The only sure way of having light after an EMP is a fuel-burning light source like ye olde kerosene lantern or a torch.

Great point. I have several kerosene lanterns and spare wicks set aside. We've used them after hurricanes in the past. They give off reliable, decent light but it's remarkable the amount of heat they generate. It's quite noticeable when the temp is 90+ degrees with matching humidity LOL. Having options is good though.

Have you tried one of the ThorFire's? If so, what's your opinion of their functionality? Brightness, etc? And Thanks for the link. 👍

I haven't tried that brand, but it's on my Christmas "Wish List" for Santa this year. I've used hand-crank devices and they generally work fine. A minute of cranking will get you X minutes of use. More for low-power items like a radio or LED, less for high power items like charging a phone.

• Like 1
On 12/3/2018 at 8:58 AM, monkeylizard said:

I intended to ask about a solar charger the when you posted this...then work happened LOL.

Do you (or anyone) have a solar charger that would serve this purpose that you would recommend?

I have a Goal Zero Nomad 7 that I picked up dirt cheap at an REI Garage Sale a few years ago when their garage sale events still had good stuff and didn't have a bajillion people lined up at 4am. I like it but almost never use it any more. With the advent of the small power bricks I can keep my phone charged from one of those even on a long camping trip. Now the Nomad 7 is sitting in the "I'll probably never use it but I'm glad I have it for a long emergency" category. Kind of like long-term storage food.

• Like 1