Erik88

Drinking and carrying leads to negligent discharge at Knoxville restaurant

Just now, Capbyrd said:

You have better eyes than I. 

Nah, my tablet has zoom built in¬†ūüėÉ

10 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yea, the bullet fully opened, so it hit something solid, a table, chair..something besides the glass.  All the petals seemed to be peeled back, but can't tell if the core is present or not, it may just be the jacket.

There is a fairly clean hole in the glass where it entered.  Not so sure that it hit somethings first.

Here’s some news:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbir.com/amp/article%3fsection=news&subsection=crime&headline=glass-shattered-after-gun-unintentionally-discharged-at-kingston-pike-restaurant&contentId=51-620993096

Edited by Garufa

Just now, Garufa said:

There is a fairly clean hole in the glass where it entered.  Not so sure that it hit somethings first.

Still haven’t heard anything on the local news and they would be all over this.

One of the restaurant workers said he even reached out to the local news. Odd that they haven't mentioned it.

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

One of the restaurant workers said he even reached out to the local news. Odd that they haven't mentioned it.

Reread my post, lol.  I edited as you were quoting.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Here’s some news:  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wbir.com/amp/article%3fsection=news&subsection=crime&headline=glass-shattered-after-gun-unintentionally-discharged-at-kingston-pike-restaurant&contentId=51-620993096

IDK, seems either (or both) the manager seen a divot in the cement or he doesn't know what a bullet looks like. 

The manager could not say if it was the bullet or a piece of concrete that had broken off from the shot had shattered the glass.

All I know is I get nervous thinking about SOME FOLKS that carry or have access to guns Drinking or Not Drinking). Some might be more dangerous that the BAD GUYS even when they don't have bad intentions.   

As far as drinking and having a gun or a vehicle to drive, I would venture to say, "Leaving it up to a drinker to decide when he has reached a limit to make good judgement about anything would likely lead to problems".  

On 12/3/2018 at 3:16 PM, Cruel Hand Luke said:

I'll come at this from a slightly different angle...

As Prag mentioned he does not drink or  "fiddle with his damn gun either". THAT is most likely the real reason-sober or not- that the gun went off. Modern pistols with drop safeties only go off ONE way and that is for the trigger to be pressed.  I would be interested to see exactly WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED to cause this. Needless (and careless)  handling of the gun caused by poor carry methods tend to lead tho this sort of thing more times than not. The odds are OVERWHELMING that he did not pull the gun out and intentionally discharge it, It was most likely an accident caused by unsafe carry methods.  

My guess (and I could be wrong) is that he probably was either carrying without a holster (anyone remember Plaxico Burress shooting himself when his pistol fell down the inside of his pants leg after being "Mexican carried" in his waistband?) or was carrying with a crappy holster and the gun came dislodged somehow. He probably was trying to readjust it and got trigger either wrapped up with finger or clothing and gun then predictably fires. THAT is how they are designed to work. Pull the trigger..... get loud noise. 

Now before anyone says "yeah but.... he shouldn't have been drinking"  that does NOT change the veracity of my point in the least. If he were .10 BAC but not TOUCHING THE GUN it would not go off. Guns do not go off on their own in the presence of alcohol....someone has to be handling the gun and there is no reason to do that in a restaurant ...unless it is no longer secure....  Right now as I sit here sober as a teetotaler typing this the ONLY way my gun in its holster can possibly go off is for me to pull it out of the holster far enough to manipulate the trigger. Alcohol is largely irrelevant if the gun is not handled.....the CARELESS HANDLING caused the discharge...not the presence of alcohol. It may have contributed to the careless handling but alcohol was not the CAUSE of the discharge. 

So what do we learn from this? Carry it in a REAL professionally designed big boy holster not some cheap garbage that does not prevent the trigger from being manipulated or just stuffed in a pocket or a waistband. Stone cold sober or not there is no reason to carelessly handle the gun in a restaurant . If you are having to handle it because you refuse to buy a real holster and it has come loose from where you are carrying it then stuff like this happens.  

Pull the trigger.... get loud noise. 

I love that! I am easily amused.......

Kinda like:  Lay on ground, light fuse, get away.......

Edited by Fourtyfive