Criminalizing Private Gun Sales

• 3 weeks later...

I think I would feel better about selling a gun to a stranger, a neighbor, a friend, a relative that I knew was legal (Background Check Legal for what that is worth) VS selling to one of those above I THOUGHT was OK. 

I had to get a background check when I bought mine - what the heck, no big deal. 

41 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Kind of surprised it hasn't been tried in a serious way.  This kind of cost would be a death blow to NFA numbers.

Screenshot_20190102-211942__01.jpg

I think there would be a shortage of maglights if this were to happen.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Does anyone here know of ANY mass shooting where the shooter got the gun through a private gun sale, or inheritance, or gift?

Top of my head, Farook and chick in the San Bernardino slayings.

- OS

When are lawmakers going to learn that full on outlaws/nut jobs could care less about their insignificant waste of resources. The horse has died from old age it has been out of the barn so long. And if you call a representative about any of their hair lipped proposals it will get shot down in committee according to them. They all think that they can reinvent the wheel.        

10 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I think I would feel better about selling a gun to a stranger, a neighbor, a friend, a relative that I knew was legal (Background Check Legal for what that is worth) VS selling to one of those above I THOUGHT was OK. 

I had to get a background check when I bought mine - what the heck, no big deal. 

It's not the BGC that bothers me, it's all that statistical information they could use against you later on that I don't like. I enjoy privacy and being left the hello alone

• Like 1
16 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

If you are uncomfortable selling a firearm, then don't sell it.  Problem solved.  Nothing is stopping you from going to a gun shop and letting them handle the transfer, but don't force your feelings on me and my private transactions.

Another alternative would be for the government to pay the transfer fee and the background check fee, since it is all for public safety, so the public should pay for it.  Keep it within the licensed FFL's to do the transfer and fees, to minimize the chance of keeping an accessible gun registry.  I may be agreeable to this IF and ONLY IF, we could get something back for it, like national carry permits, removing SBRs and silencers from the NFA, etc.....

• Like 3

Background checks are coming; and I doubt there will be much negotiation by anyone. However, I wouldn’t be for allowing trading background checks for a Federal Carry permit. As soon as you take the carry permit process out of the hands of the state and turn it over to the Feds; the Feds will determine where, when, and what you can carry, and what “reasonable restrictions” are on the 2nd amendment. That might be a good thing if you are in NY or CA, but it would suck for us here.

Background checks and state gun carry laws don’t have anything to do with each other; I would like to see it stay that way.

• Like 5

I'm leaning against mandatory BG checks for private sales.  What I would support, is free, voluntary, access to the BG system for those that chose to use it.  No paperwork, no records, just a go or no-go.  And I'm not willing to give up anything, to get back a right that was taken away, illegally IMO, in the past.

• Like 6

I have a driver licenses, I can drive just about car, truck on the road. I have a permit that allows me to carry just about any pistol. So why in the hell do I need a back ground check?!!!

It is all about the record of when and where, PERIOD!!!

• Like 3

The thing that stinks about this kind of law besides making transfers between friends and family a pita, a secret gun registry and and an expense is....

Lets say you have a situation where your family member/spouse is getting suicidal/ homicidal or just acting crazy suddenly and you want to quickly remove a gun or two from the home.

You can't just drop them off at a friends anymore. That would be illegal. What about a gun owner who travels for work or is in the Military and wants to leave guns with a family member?

The gun grabbers don't give a crap about that, they just want the public disarmed at any cost.

More laws, more hassle and threat of legal problems =less and less people wanting guns every year.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Omega said:

I'm leaning against mandatory BG checks for private sales.  What I would support, is free, voluntary, access to the BG system for those that chose to use it.  No paperwork, no records, just a go or no-go.  And I'm not willing to give up anything, to get back a right that was taken away, illegally IMO, in the past.

That wouldn't be good enough for the anti-gun Democrats. It would ever so slightly decrease bad hombres getting guns but not help any with their real goal of disarming honest citizens.

It would be nice though for me to have an easy way to see if a person you are selling to is legal to buy. As you say, no serial numbers or make model. Just input buyers name to see if he's a go or no go. I'd even be o.k. if it cost me 5 or so Dollars.

And of course it should be Voluntary. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

The thing that stinks about this kind of law besides making transfers between friends and family a pita, ...

Actually, the last bill that almost got there (Manchin-Toomey amendment), made transfer among relatives easier! Including interstate transfer.

- OS

The one they passed in Oregon had a very narrow definition of Relative if I remember right. And it didn't make anything easier because you used to be able to transfer without going through an FFL for anybody but a minor.

Don't remember much about the Manchin Toomy law but it didn't make it.

13 hours ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

It would be nice though for me to have an easy way to see if a person you are selling to is legal to buy. As you say, no serial numbers or make model. Just input buyers name to see if he's a go or no go. I'd even be o.k. if it cost me 5 or so Dollars.

This actually makes so much sense that it will never pass. 

• Like 3

After years of private sales a lot of stolen guns would be turning up. Many of us have done private sales on guns where the history has not been checked. Any of us could have stolen guns.

That could be a big problem, in some states possession of a stolen firearm is a felony; it doesn’t require they prove you stole it.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Has anyone considered that Uncle Sam won't know if you are selling your guns without telling him exactly what you've got. I'm going to freely volunteer a list of what I've got, NOT!

I regret taking mine with me fishing that horrible day back in June. Was a sad sad day. 

37 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Has anyone considered that Uncle Sam won't know if you are selling your guns without telling him exactly what you've got. I'm going to freely volunteer a list of what I've got, NOT!

Whats a list of guns you have got to do with private sales? :confused:

34 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Whats a list of guns you have got to do with private sales? :confused:

Meaning that unless they know you had it, they won't know you sold it.  That's the problem with these laws, they won't be able to enforce them without a database.

1 minute ago, Omega said:

Meaning that unless they know you had it, they won't know you sold it.  That's the problem with these laws, they won't be able to enforce them without a database.

Unless you sold it to a cop.  Then they’d know more about you than you do.