Rural King

Murgatroy

Rural King kinda upset me this afternoon.

I have my CCDW in Kentucky, which exempts me from the background check. The biggest reason I have my CCDW is because I seem to get a delay every time a BC is run.  I went to RK today to grab a Chiappa 1873-22 because it is a full size rimfire SAA clone. The cat behind the counter was not the most helpful guy and refused to use my CCDW, claiming company policy to use my DL and run a BC. I was miffed, because I knew it would come back as a delay and told him as much. I had planned on going to the range today with my Heathen today with that new pistol, as we go shooting every Saturday. Sure enough, I got hit with a delay, and then the cat forgot to return my DL. I accept a portion of the blame, as it was my DL,  but at the time I was bent out of shape about the fact he refused to even acknowledge my CCDW. So I then drive into the `Ville to go shooting, and realize I don't have it. So I get to turn around an hour to drive back to get my license back.

I am rather salty about the whole ordeal. I get the idea of the policy. I am legal and clean I know that. But a big reason I got my CCDW was so that I wouldn't have to deal with the Brady Delay EVERY PURCHASE... The fact he forgot to give my DL back was just the icing on the cake. And then you add in that RK is selling the gun for 20% less than anyone else...

Anyways, I just wanted to vent about something I completely understand and have no control over, but still upset me.

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, Raoul said:

Sometimes price isn't everything. I have a shop I deal with that is more than reasonable but not always the least expensive. Just saying......

That is where I am at, the whole experience was so upsetting. The guy behind the counter today was rather distressing. They had my phone number and everything, and no one tried to contact me to inform me that I left my license.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

That is where I am at, the whole experience was so upsetting. The guy behind the counter today was rather distressing. They had my phone number and everything, and no one tried to contact me to inform me that I left my license.

I would have asked the guy why he didn't call you when he realized you left your license there? Sounds like the guy was a bit on the shady side to me............JMHO

10 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

In KY the CCDW negates the background, so it has been a moot point for a while now. 

Rural King of Clarksville is in Tn, Does your KY CCDW work the same in TN as it does in KY?

6 hours ago, RED333 said:

Rural King of Clarksville is in Tn, Does your KY CCDW work the same in TN as it does in KY?

I would not think so. Even then I would only be able to purchase long arms. As silly as it is, I don't think I have ever had a delay when purchasing a long arm, only handguns. 

I have been informed it is a corporate policy, as they are based in Illinois. 

Having visited 3 different locations, I've browsed once and attempted to buy twice.

On both occasions, I gave up. The wait time to never be acknowledged or served was not worth the pennies I could have saved.

Shame too, because they have a lot of good quality products available.

• Like 2

I like Rural King. Prices are better than TSC.

Sucks you had to go back and get your license but maybe in the end it was good you didn't commit a felony...

A question for those more in the know than me, If you attempt to make this purchase, and are denied, did you commit a crime with the attempt?

52 minutes ago, Mark A said:

Sucks you had to go back and get your license but maybe in the end it was good you didn't commit a felony...

A question for those more in the know than me, If you attempt to make this purchase, and are denied, did you commit a crime with the attempt?

If the denial is legitimate, yes. Has anyone ever been prosecuted for it? Very few of any.

15 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If you knowingly lie on a 4473 it is a crime. 

and with some of those questions, you could be lying unknowingly.   And that gets back into intent and all of that which is difficult to prove, yet even more difficult for you to disprove.  

On 12/10/2018 at 4:31 PM, Mark A said:

I am failing to see where I was committing a felony in my narrative? I have the KY CCDW, which is a bit more stringent than the TN HCP as the background check is run monthly. 

There are a few reasons you can be denied without outright lying. A delay is far different from a denial. A denial can stem from a simple charge that was never processed out, a delay usually stems from a bad person who has the same name. Both can be appealed. I have purchased a *few* firearms in my life. Something in the last five years occurred to someone with my name, as it started triggering delays, prior to that, I never had issues. My name is not common, by any means. 

For those following, today they called me and told me that I was given the green light, but I am not entirely sure I am going to grab it. I am, it was a good deal, but I am still bitter.

Edited by Murgatroy
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

and with some of those questions, you could be lying unknowingly.   And that gets back into intent and all of that which is difficult to prove, yet even more difficult for you to disprove.  

Most of the questions are pretty straight forward.  One yes, a dozen no's.

12 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

Most of the questions are pretty straight forward.  One yes, a dozen no's.

Question 11h, 

Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?

You can absolutely be subject to a court order and not know it.  

7 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Question 11h, 

Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking, or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?

You can absolutely be subject to a court order and not know it.  

If you haven’t been served or it can’t be proven you know about the order; you have answered honestly. If it can be proven you knew; you have a problem. Of course if the order was in effect when you made the purchase you could be charged and have to defend yourself.