Did I miss it somewhere?

bersaguy

Did everyone including myself fail to remember Pearl Harbor. I know there are only a few World War II veterans left but that is no excuse to not remember that day. I'm guilty of it and it is the first year I let it slip passed me.

God Bless all that died on that fateful day and I hope to never let it slip past me again.................:wall:

I was aware, actually watched some of the Pacific War in Color on Smithsonian.

What I learned was on 12/7 and the subsequent 48 hours, the Japanese attacked Pearl, Wake, Guam, and Hong Kong. They hit Midway on the way back from Pearl, but the defenders beat them off.

In the wake global political correctness, we certainly can't have any kind of remembrance since, all those crack pot, narrow minded, nationalist Trump lovers will want to re-open internment camps.

Edited by Gotthegoods

I have a calendar pop-up for 11:48 our time on Dec 7th, and have a brief moment.  I never want to forget the enormity of how our destiny as a nation was changed by that event, and remind myself how thankful that men like my grandfather were able to answer the call it rang out. 

But I understand how enough time has gone on that the majority of the population could let it slip by.  We have busy lives in the life of plenty it provided, and missing the moment of the day isn't necessarily an indication of ingratitude.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Always stop and say a prayer for all those who fought. Both of my grandfather's served, 1 Army, 1 Navy. My maternal grandfather was a BIG part of my upbringing, when my mom passed away she left me all of his medals and burial flag. Just recently finished my man cave and they are displayed front and center. We must never forget all the good, bad and ugly parts of our countries history. Trying to erase history doesn't change it. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Always stop and say a prayer for all those who fought. Both of my grandfather's served, 1 Army, 1 Navy. My maternal grandfather was a BIG part of my upbringing, when my mom passed away she left me all of his medals and burial flag. Just recently finished my man cave and they are displayed front and center. We must never forget all the good, bad and ugly parts of our countries history. Trying to erase history doesn't change it. 

" Trying to erase history doesn't change it." You are very correct with this statement here. They think removing statues and other things in our nations history is going to make history go away or be changed somehow. There is nothing you can do to change the past. The only thing people can hope for is a better future................JMHO 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

My guess is that most people under 30, maybe 40, don't even know the significance of Dec 7.  Schools don't teach history anymore. :mad:

I think it's just the opposite. Once it becomes history it's no longer personal. Then it just becomes a historic event. Kinda like a 4th of July furniture sale.

• Like 1

Well maybe to many these days it is like 4th of July Furniture sale but to me it was a very tragic time in our nations history and many people lost their lives that day and many days for 4 years after it. We have to remember Pearl was only the beginning of what was to follow it..............JMHO

To forget Pearl Harbor is like forgetting 9/11. They both cost 1000's of lives that day and people & troops are still dying today from it............JMHO

One of my favorite movies has to do with the Pearl Harbor bombing. It's called The Final Countdown. It's where the USS Nimitz in the 80's goes through some bad electrical storm and goes back to 2 days before the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Pretty neat ! It has a great cast with Kirk Douglas , Martin Sheen , Katherine Ross , James Ferentino, and more. Made in 1980 . Pretty cool movie . You see F14 Tomcats fighting Japanese Zero planes. here's he trailer from 1980

Edited by tercel89
1 minute ago, tercel89 said:

One of my favorite movies has to do with the Pearl Harbor bombing. It's called The Final Countdown. It's where the USS Nimitz in the 80's goes through some bad electrical storm and goes back to 2 days before the bombing of Pearl Harbor. Pretty neat ! It has a great cast with Kirk Douglas , Martin Sheen , Katherine Ross , James Ferentino, and more. Made in 1980 . Pretty cool movie . You see F14 Tomcats fighting Japanese Zero planes.

I thought they were taken back into the present time before they could have any effect?

6 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

I thought they were taken back into the present time before they could have any effect?

They went back to that time and right when they launched all the aircraft to fight the Japanese fleet  , the same storm popped up and the captain decided that the planes should come back on board and they did go back to 1980 . But while in 1941 , the 2 F14's faught 2 Japanese Zero's  , and one Japnaese pilot was captured. Great Movie ! I bought the movie and watch it at least 3 times a year. Kinda Science fiction with the time warp but still cool .

Edited by tercel89
2 hours ago, tercel89 said:

They went back to that time and right when they launched all the aircraft to fight the Japanese fleet  , the same storm popped up and the captain decided that the planes should come back on board and they did go back to 1980 . But while in 1941 , the 2 F14's faught 2 Japanese Zero's  , and one Japnaese pilot was captured. Great Movie ! I bought the movie and watch it at least 3 times a year. Kinda Science fiction with the time warp but still cool .

If you like movies like that one you might like the Philadelphia Experiment. Link to it is below that tells about it. It is also kind of science fiction but I have watched it several times and enjoy it each time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087910/

• Like 1