1st outing with thermal

A couple of weeks ago, I got tired of waiting for ATN to put out software for the 4K Pro scope I had just bought, so I returned the scope to retailer for a refund before that window closed. Glad I did.

I replaced that scope with a Pulsar Apex XQ38 thermal rig.
That scope is currently mounted on a 12" Grendel pistol.

I don't hunt at night.
But I wanted dark thirty capability.

This past Sunday afternoon, I carried the setup to the deer stand.
In this particular spot, there is a thicket of brush, weeds, and small saplings about 35 yards out in front.
There is open hardwoods between the thicket and the stand.

After being on stand for maybe a half hour, I decided to start scanning the woods/thicket to see what I might see.
About 45 yards out, inside that thicket were 3 deer that I could see plain as day.
Pull off the scope ... can't see anything but thicket.
Get back on scope ... deer!

After 10-15 minutes, as I watched thru the scope, 2 of those deer walked outta the thicket directly in front of me.
I could see them plainly and could have dropped the hammer.
They were both does and I have the 094 license.
I didn't.

The point to this story, is that I knew they were there because of the thermal.
And I knew where they were going to come out because of the thermal.

To be continued ....

• Like 1

15 minutes or so after those deer leaving the area, I get down outta the stand.

Just outside the woods is a very large open field that I shoot into quite often, so I'm familiar with the landscape and yardages of it.

It's getting dusky by this time, so with naked eye, I could see maybe 200-250 yards out.
Again, scanning thru the thermal, I see, and count 25 deer at 500 yards out in that field.
Pull off scope, big empty field.
On scope, deer!

I walk into the next field over.
Even "duskier dark" still by this time.
Scan the next field over ... Yep, about 25 more in another group.

The point again ...
I saw all of these deer because of the thermal capability.
I could tell which direction all of them were going.
Therefore it would have been possible to intercept "upstream".

To be continued ....

It's still legal shooting hours as I walk back to the car still giddy at the doors that have been opened by the thermal capability.

I decide to try slow walking, and scanning at the same time.
30 yards ahead to my left, is a small hot spot just off the edge of the field I was in.
As I get close, that hot spot leaps into the field and runs across in front of me looking like a bouncing ball of light that lunges into the brush to my right.
It's a rabbit. And he thinks he's safe in the weeds to my right.
With the naked eye, he would have been.
With a .22 and thermal he'd have been supper.

All of a sudden, to my left is another hot spot in the weeds no more than 30' away.
It's another rabbit. I didn't know there were 2 rabbits left in my area!

Long read guys.
But the point is ...

Thermal is NOT just for the night.

21 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Cool stuff.

Sadly at $2500 that is way above my tax bracket

Full disclosure ...
It's above mine as well.
I'm far from being a wealthy person.

I have struggled with the decision to take this leap for almost a year.
After doing so, thus far I'm not sorry for it.

FYI

Per the Hunting and Trapping guide:

Use or possession of the following equipment is prohibited:

Any electronic light amplifying night vision scope, thermal imaging device, or similar devices while in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, graydw1 said:

FYI

Any electronic light amplifying night vision scope, thermal imaging device, or similar devices while in possession of a firearm or archery tackle between sunset and sunrise.

I was wondering about that myself. Does that mean that as long as you’re not out between sunset/sunrise it’s ok to use? 

7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Does that mean that as long as you’re not out between sunset/sunrise it’s ok to use?

I would sat yes you would be OK. However getting to and from the hunt you do have both and that is a no no, as you travel before sunrise and after sunset.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
35 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I was wondering about that myself. Does that mean that as long as you’re not out between sunset/sunrise it’s ok to use? 

Who knows?? These appear to be TENNESSEE FISH AND WILDLIFE COMMISSION PROCLAMATIONS and not part of the TCA. But it looks like if you even possess it during those hours they might beat you senseless with their night sticks.

49 minutes ago, graydw1 said:

FYI

46 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

The problem for hunting is legal shooting time is 30 min before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset.  So if you are in your stand before or after legal shooting time it appears to be a violation.

Update ....

This past Saturday morning, I confirmed what I had read about using thermal.
You cannot see antlers thru it.

I had a spike buck walk to about 40 yards from me.
Through the scope, I could just barely see bumps on his head where the antlers came out.

As on the previous occasions, I let him walk.
My time in the woods right now is primarily for learning the scope, and spending time with my Son.

4 hours ago, DL126 said:

Update ....

This past Saturday morning, I confirmed what I had read about using thermal.
You cannot see antlers thru it.

I had a spike buck walk to about 40 yards from me.
Through the scope, I could just barely see bumps on his head where the antlers came out.

As on the previous occasions, I let him walk.
My time in the woods right now is primarily for learning the scope, and spending time with my Son.

There's at trick to that. A buck will be darker on the top of his head.  He's head will also appear to be flat. A doe will be round. You can see the horns with a good thermal, but judging size is difficult. A gun mounted range finder is your best friend. 

1 hour ago, alleycat72 said:

FYI....If you are in your stand 31 minutes before legal shooting light, you're in violation. Walking to your stand with a rifle is considered hunting.  

Actually just walking to your stand 1 min before sunrise or after sunset is a violation.   Can’t have the thermal before sunrise or after sunset. 

I appreciate everyone's concern for keeping me legal.

I'm aware of the law, and I'm not breaking it.

Please keep conversation geared toward tips/tricks to using thermal.

Thanks again.

ac72 ... thanks for the tip.
I was on the ground and couldn't see the top of his head other than from straight on face to face.
And only after he got to 40 yards could I see those bumps.
The resolution might not be enough on the Apex to see what you're referring to.
But I'll start looking for such.

Edited by DL126
1 hour ago, DL126 said:

I appreciate everyone's concern for keeping me legal.

I'm aware of the law, and I'm not breaking it.

Please keep conversation geared toward tips/tricks to using thermal.

Thanks again.

ac72 ... thanks for the tip.
I was on the ground and couldn't see the top of his head other than from straight on face to face.
And only after he got to 40 yards could I see those bumps.
The resolution might not be enough on the Apex to see what you're referring to.
But I'll start looking for such.

You've probably noticed atmospheric conditions make a big difference. You kind of learn a new language using thermal.