Earthquake

owejia

That quake reminds me of my mother searching for new homeowners insurance and I was at her house when the agent came by. Now taking into consideration my mother lived in Greenbrier and it is up on a hill so high that when you drive up it your ears will pop.

She tells him what she wants and ever so often he would butt in on her. That was his first mistake so after about 4 interuptions she stopped what she was talking to let him talk and he told my mother that she forgot her flood insurance.

She looked at him and said son, did you come from Nashville up here and he said yes. She said do you remember coming up a great big long hill to get here and he thought for a minute and said yes.

She said that is why I did not include flood insurance cause the only flood that would have reached that house has already happened. Now I do want Earthquake insurance was her next statement. He opened up a folder and searched for it and turned out his company didn't offer it. She looked at him and said then you can't help me.

I showed him to the door and on the way to the door he asked me if she was serious about Earthquake Insurance and I said Yep and that is why your leaving.

Edited by bersaguy
57 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

It was actually a series of 4 main quakes, with hundreds of aftershocks.  The "big 4" occurred between December 16, 1811 and February 7, 1812, with aftershocks large enough to be felt until 1817.  Numerous events have occurred since, with a few in the @6 range on the Richter Scale.  Since Memphis State installed monitoring equipment in 1974, over 4k quakes have been recorded.  The New Madrid Fault Zone remains as one of the most active in North America, with potential for massive destruction. I live in the area, which gets quakes that can be felt every couple of years, about once per decade one causes some sort of damage, albeit not very widespread or serious ...

When i was a kid growing up in Memphis (Midtown) there was one big enough to rattle the whole house in the early evening.  I do mean rattle as in serious shaking.  Forget the exact year but it was maybe between ‘76 and ‘78 timeframe.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

By the Mississippi River flowing backwards as the story goes.  It was a big one.

Yep. If the New Madrid throws a big enough quake to cause the Mississippi to flow backwards again, especially into the local tributaries, it’s gonna be bad for Memphis. Real bad. Most folks don’t realize that Memphis is essentially an island. Between the Mississippi, the Wolf River and Nonconnah Creek, the three of them almost completely surround the Memphis metro area. Enough backflow from the Mississippi coupled with some bridge failures and Memphis is a ferry town again. 

19 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yep. If the New Madrid throws a big enough quake to cause the Mississippi to flow backwards again, especially into the local tributaries, it’s gonna be bad for Memphis. Real bad. Most folks don’t realize that Memphis is essentially an island. Between the Mississippi, the Wolf River and Nonconnah Creek, the three of them almost completely surround the Memphis metro area. Enough backflow from the Mississippi coupled with some bridge failures and Memphis is a ferry town again. 

Not to mention the liquefaction, man.

i wonder how many here know how to say Madrid right, lol.

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Garufa said:

When i was a kid growing up in Memphis (Midtown) there was one big enough to rattle the whole house in the early evening.  I do mean rattle as in serious shaking.  Forget the exact year but it was maybe between ‘76 and ‘78 timeframe.

That's about right.  I was a teenager at the time, hanging out in the kitchen talking to my mom, who was ironing in another room.  When the windows and dishes started rattling, mom yelled for me to stop shaking the house ...

57 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Yep, I remember that one.  I was walking into our living room when it started.  My dad gathered us all up and us us in the car.  I've always wondered what good that would have done 🤣

58 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Yep, I remember that one.  I was walking into our living room when it started.  My dad gathered us all up and us us in the car.  I've always wondered what good that would have done 🤣

My dad went flying up the stairs to check the attic.  😂

We have the occasional quake now most of the damage is to concrete floors and walls. Causes cracks in them. Back in the early to mid 50's remember some that actually caused the ground to tremble. Not a lot you can do about a earthquake.

I can only remember being in 1 quake back when I was about 10 years old and one struck the Fault Madrid back in the 50's while I still lived in Illinois. I can remember it because at the time I had about 5 or 6 dogs that I had rescued that people brought out of Chicago to farm country and dropped them. Anyway all of the dogs began barking and jumping around wildly and running around in the back yard and about a minute or two later our house began shaking. Some of my mothers knick knacks fell off here end tables onto the carpet floor and a few dishes got broke in the kitchen. It lasted about 2 to 3 minutes and there were 2 after shocks that were much smaller in size. I have always tried to have a dog or two after that because they do make short but good early warning services for quakes. I have heard of dogs reacting as long as 5 minutes before one hits. People just need to be able to realize what the dogs are acting the way they are and react accordingly such as getting outside a building and away from power lines till it's over...............JMHO