GOP congressman wants Marijuana users to be able to legally purchase guns

Someone on Reddit posted this. I promise I don't follow this website.  😁

From everything I've read Massie is the real deal. He's honestly what the rest of the GOP should try to be. 

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/gop-congressman-wants-marijuana-consumers-to-be-able-to-legally-purchase-guns/

MM: Are you hopeful that marijuana reform will be accomplished in the next Congress?
TM: I think it was a huge missed opportunity for Republicans. I think if we had passed a bill that left this issue up to the states, I think we might still be in the majority. There are, believe it or not, there are one-issue voters out there and this is their issue for some of those voters. For some of them, it’s a secondary or tertiary issue. But it still affects which party they decide to vote for. I’ve polled constituents in my district—it’s a very conservative district—and whether or not they’re for outright legalization of marijuana, 75 percent of Republicans and 75 percent of Democrats in my congressional district are in favor of leaving it up to the states. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Someone on Reddit posted this. I promise I don't follow this website.  😁

From everything I've read Massie is the real deal. He's honestly what the rest of the GOP should try to be. 

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/gop-congressman-wants-marijuana-consumers-to-be-able-to-legally-purchase-guns/

MM: Are you hopeful that marijuana reform will be accomplished in the next Congress?
TM: I think it was a huge missed opportunity for Republicans. I think if we had passed a bill that left this issue up to the states, I think we might still be in the majority. There are, believe it or not, there are one-issue voters out there and this is their issue for some of those voters. For some of them, it’s a secondary or tertiary issue. But it still affects which party they decide to vote for. I’ve polled constituents in my district—it’s a very conservative district—and whether or not they’re for outright legalization of marijuana, 75 percent of Republicans and 75 percent of Democrats in my congressional district are in favor of leaving it up to the states. 

I see this no differently than alcohol use. I also saw my neighbor eaten up from pancreatic cancer who suffered under conventional care due to the "opioid crisis" who's last days were made considerably more bearable from turning to marijuana wax. I can't understand how the party of personal responsibility can say you're not responsible enough to decide what to put in your body nor how you meet your maker.

• Like 7

“warning: the use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medical or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.”

Seems pretty simple to me. The Feds need to remove that line or enforce Federal law; one or the other.

11 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Why not simply remove cannabis from the Controlled Substances Act, so that it's use is no longer a federal crime period, and let the states handle the rest of it?

- OS

After Cohen's sentencing yesterday I was speaking to a coworker about the fact that we have people serving life sentences for weed while white collar crime gets off with a slap on the wrist. It's ridiculous. 

I think Massie is right, had the GOP legalized weed I think they would have kept the house. Alcohol is far more dangerous and just worse for you in every way. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What about those that don’t like weed and their recreational drug of choice is Cocaine?

Yeah! What about us....errrrr.......them?  Yeah, that’s the ticket. What about them? 😬😇

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What about those that don’t like weed and their recreational drug of choice is Cocaine?

When I was a cop I was paid to enforce the law. Today I just don't give a crap what someone else shoves up their nose because it's their choice. We have a drug problem in this country largely because we make it illegal. I'm not discounting the wealth of this country as a factor too but the same extreme right that brought us Prohibition that didn't stop drinking and allowed gangs to flourish into syndicates. And the, "What if your family was killed by a stoned driver" argument doesn't wash because the same happens every day from alcohol and drug use.

• Like 2

Anytime anyone asks about the "dangers of marijuana" I ask them when was the last time they saw a news story about a stoner beating their wife and kids.  I just can't see a reason to prohibit marijuana when the negatives are available in legal options from tobacco and alcohol. 

Rep. Massie is spot on when he says Republicans missed an opportunity on this issue. 

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What about them? If someone wants to do coke and own a gun, a background check isn't going to stop them. If we're going to ban gun ownership for drug use it needs to apply to alcohol and the opiods your doctor perscribes. 

20 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yeah! What about us....errrrr.......them?  Yeah, that’s the ticket. What about them? 😬😇

Considering how expensive cocaine is, I'm really not that worried about a huge influx of coked out gun owners. Ironically, the only 2 people I know that like coke are both Trump supporting gun owners. 😅 they don't concern me.

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

What about them? If someone wants to do coke and own a gun, a background check isn't going to stop them.

And you think it’s going to stop a pothead that wants to own a gun?

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

If we're going to ban gun ownership for drug use it needs to apply to alcohol and the opiods your doctor perscribes. 

Okay.

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

And you think it’s going to stop a pothead that wants to own a gun?

Of course not. Just like I don't think ANY gun law is going to do much of anything. I don't think the government should make someone a criminal for owning a gun because they smoke weed or do coke. 

I think you and I are saying the same thing in different ways. Even if you hate weed/cocaine/etc you have to agree that this question on the form isn't going to stop them from getting both.

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

After Cohen's sentencing yesterday I was speaking to a coworker about the fact that we have people serving life sentences for weed while white collar crime gets off with a slap on the wrist. It's ridiculous. 

I think Massie is right, had the GOP legalized weed I think they would have kept the house. Alcohol is far more dangerous and just worse for you in every way. 

Sh#t. Old link.

Yep. Legalize it.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3

One of the reasons not to legalize it is the big pharma  companies would lose billions of dollars in revenue, no one would need to buy their pain killers because everyone could grow their own. Always follow the money, money rules everything.

1 hour ago, owejia said:

One of the reasons not to legalize it is the big pharma  companies would lose billions of dollars in revenue, no one would need to buy their pain killers because everyone could grow their own. Always follow the money, money rules everything.

That sounds like a great reason TO legalize it. 

• Like 1
On 12/13/2018 at 4:36 PM, Erik88 said:

What about them? If someone wants to do coke and own a gun, a background check isn't going to stop them. If we're going to ban gun ownership for drug use it needs to apply to alcohol and the opiods your doctor perscribes. 

You hush your mouth!  Don't give them ideas.  

On 12/13/2018 at 4:38 PM, Erik88 said:

Considering how expensive cocaine is, I'm really not that worried about a huge influx of coked out gun owners. Ironically, the only 2 people I know that like coke are both Trump supporting gun owners. 😅 they don't concern me.

If that's true, you know two people that like coke and one that effing loves it.  And the one that loves it is definitely not a Trump supporter.