CWD in TN, Near Memphis

Seems you Memphis boys may need to do some culling of the herd to keep this under control.

https://www.wkrn.com/amp/top-news/tennessee/preliminary-detection-of-chronic-wasting-disease-in-tennessee-deer/1661471123

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) - - The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) is enacting the Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) Response plan, following a preliminary positive detection of the disease in white-tailed deer.

Seven deer in Fayette County and three in Hardeman County have preliminarily tested positive for CWD. Additional samples are being tested and the TWRA is actively trying to contact the hunters who harvested these deer.

“Once arrangements are made, TWRA will be encouraging hunters harvesting deer in these areas to submit their deer for testing,” said Chuck Yoest, TWRA CWD Coordinator.

Edited by Omega

KY reaction: https://kentucky.gov/Pages/Activity-stream.aspx?n=FishandWildlife&prId=342

FRANKFORT, Ky. (Dec. 15, 2018) — To further safeguard Kentucky’s deer and elk from chronic wasting disease, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources announced new restrictions Saturday on the importation of deer from Tennessee.

Effective immediately, hunters are prohibited from bringing any deer from Tennessee into Kentucky unless the brain and spinal column have been removed first.

The move comes in response to a preliminary positive detection of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in 10 white-tailed deer in Tennessee. Chronic wasting disease has not been detected in Kentucky.

Chronic wasting disease is an infectious neurological disease that affects white-tailed deer, elk and other members of the deer family. It invariably leads to the death of affected animals. There is no known treatment or vaccine for the disease, which has been found in more than two dozen states and three Canadian provinces.

Deer parts that are allowed under this new restriction include quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached, boned-out meat, antlers, antlers attached to a clean skull plate, a clean skull, clean teeth, hides and finished taxidermy works.

Chronic wasting disease can be spread across the landscape, either directly through the natural movement of infected deer, elk or other members of the deer family, or through the interstate movement of infected captive deer, elk or other members of the deer family. It also can be transmitted indirectly through the movement of infected carcasses and parts from hunter-harvested deer, elk or other members of the deer family, as well as contaminated soil and water sources.

There is no evidence that suggests CWD is transmissible to people or livestock.

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

Half the time he speaks, he sounds like a flat Earther.  

Maybe, but I must say on this I agree with him.  With all the deer harvested over the years in CWD areas, you'd think there would have been at least one person infected if it were possible.  With common sense handling of your harvest, you should be ok. 

Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission Makes Regulatory Changes in Regard to CWD Confirmation

Action Taken at Special Called Meeting
Thursday, December 20, 2018 | 02:32pm

NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Fish and Wildlife Commission (TFWC) has made regulatory changes in response to the confirmation of chronic wasting disease (CWD) in deer in Fayette and Hardeman counties. The changes came at a special called meeting of the TFWC on Thursday (Dec. 20) at the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency headquarters.

The commission voted to establish a CWD management zone which currently includes Fayette, Hardeman, and McNairy counties. The commission took action to create deer carcass exportation restrictions and a restriction on feeding wildlife within the high risk area of the CWD management zone, exceptions apply. The high risk area of the CWD management zone includes counties within a 10-mile radius of the location of a confirmed CWD positive deer.

Another regulation change for the CWD management zone, is the creation of a new deer hunting season. An archery/muzzleloader/gun deer season was established there for Jan. 7-31, 2019. The bag limit for the season is one antlered deer and unlimited for antlerless deer. All wildlife management areas and other public land on which deer hunting activities are permitted within the three counties will be open during this newly-established season.

On or after Dec. 29, 2018, all hunters harvesting deer on weekends (Saturday-Sunday) are required to check the deer in at a physical check station. The TWRA will publish the locations of these stations on its website.

The TWRA is continuing its efforts of targeted sampling for CWD outside of the CWD management zone. Emphasis will be placed on those counties surrounding the CWD management zone.

With the positive confirmation, Tennessee became the 26th state to have documented CWD. There have also been three Canadian provinces to have CWD.

The TWRA enacted the CWD Response Plan last week following the preliminary positive detection. The response involves a coordinated effort between TWRA, Tennessee Department of Agriculture, and other partners.

Although CWD has no known risk to the health of humans or livestock, it is a contagious and deadly neurological disorder that affects members of the deer family. It is transmitted through animal-to-animal contact, animal contact with a contaminated environment, and with contaminated feed or water sources. It is the most significant threat to the deer population nationwide, as it is 100 percent fatal to deer and elk. Wildlife agencies across the country are working to inform the public about CWD, its deadly results and possible impacts to economies.

More information about CWD, including cervid import restrictions, and videos that explain how to properly dress an animal before transporting it, can be found on TWRA’s website at www.tnwildlife.org. (https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/twra/hunting/cwd.html/)

---TWRA---

• 3 weeks later...

What do y'all think the chances are that those three counties will be under similar restrictions next year?  

I think these restrictions will be the new normal.  And I do suspect they will include more counties next year.  They will probably be looking hard at the high fence operations and other hunt clubs in the immediate area, as they should, but I doubt it will do much beyond that next year.  Of course they may also implement restrictions on feeders, salt licks etc, TN wide, to keep it from spreading as fast.

Edited by Omega
Speeling
  • 2 weeks later...

It's looking pretty bad, 91 confirmed positives, 3 pending,  especially because it was just "discovered".  This really looks like somebody missed this for years, or somebody imported some infected deer.

1548275154108.png

Edited by Omega
Edit numbers.

No positives in my area yet.   Still in the management zone though.  

You in Shelby?  My money is for them to use the Mississippi to go north, if they haven't already.

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Are there any high fence hunting facilities in that area?

Yes, one by the center of the hotzone, and an other to the northeast of it, and the Ames hunting area too.  I'm betting that it was imported deer by one or more of them.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Omega said:

You in Shelby?  My money is for them to use the Mississippi to go north, if they haven't already.

Yes, one by the center of the hotzone, and an other to the northeast of it, and the Ames hunting area too.  I'm betting that it was imported deer by one or more of them.

I live in Shelby but my land is in McNairy.