5.56 ammo from 1971 in can with bandoliers

hey guys,

I recently ran across a rare find ( I guess). Found 420 rounds of 5.56 ball ammunition still in bandoliers with the stripper clips and quick loaders all in the original green military steel ammo can. the bandoliers have a date of Mar 1971 (iirc). Anybody have any insight on if its safe to shoot? it looks like any other ammo ive ever seen but the brass is tarnished. A193 is the nomenclature of the ammo I believe. What would it be worth? as I no longer have an AR.

If the rubber seal on the can is still good and if the ammo hasn't been underwater for extended period of time, I would not have a problem shooting it. You can vibrate it in corn cob or walnut media to polish the brass if tarnish is very bad.

• Like 1

I agree w/ owejia, unless it was stored under extremely harsh conditions it should be fine to shoot.  I've shot mil surplus ammo from the 50's that was fine.

Mil ammo tends to look tarnished (compared to commercial ammo) even when it is brand new.  The brass has the discoloration on the shoulder/neck from annealing and they don't polish the brass.  As long as there's no actual corrosion (blue/greeen/white deposits) forming on the brass that will feel noticeably more rough than "normal" brass, I'd have no problem shooting it.

• Like 1

Do not listen to these guys, the ammo is junk, junk I tell ya!!! Send it to me, you pay shipping and I will dispose of the junk. For a small fee I will let you watch me "dispose' Of it down the barrel of my rifle.:bowrofl:

Now that we have that out of the way, shoot the stuff.