Wilson Combat magazines model 47D

I keep hearing these mags will make a bad 1911 run reliably . My 1911 runs good with it's factory mag but I am where I am now reloading a lot of 45acp and where I can do a lot shooting with it . I only have 2 factory mags and was thinking about these. Any thoughts or experiences ?

I used them in my MC Operator and my LW Champion Operator and never had a hiccup in either gun. I don't have the LW anymore but have several thousand rounds through my MC Operator and it's been as reliable as my Glocks (gasp). Ultimately I'm a Glock guy though due to my work requirements but would not hesitate to carry the Operator with 47d mags.

Edited by cch2a
  • Like 1

If you check out the 1911 forums you will see that CHIP MCCORMICK POWER MAGS and WILSON COMBAT are the two most popular. You will also see that some people say their gun doesn’t “like” one of those, some the other.

I’ve never had a problem with a Chip McCormick, or a factory mag. I’ve never tried cheap aftermarket mags.

I think mags get a lot of the blame for junk ammo and guns that need attention. But that’s just my opinion based on what I’ve seen.

You tell someone they need the feed ramp polished on their precious 1911 or it is failing because it’s filthy and they act like you called their kids ugly.

Neither mag will fix a “bad” 1911. What’s wrong with your gun?

• Like 1

As far as CM vs WC, I have no solid preference.  I use both.

I got started on WC when I had a Kimber Pro Carry back about 2008. It was prone to fte issues, so I took it to the man/shop I bought it from to ask about it.

Rabbi looked it over and told me to try some different mags, as Kimber mags were sort of a hit or miss type and problematic. He handed me a couple of used Wilson Combat mags and told me to try them out.

I did. Problem solved. I've been buying Wilson mags ever since. I also have some Chip McCormick and his other product, Shooting Star mags. All have been completely reliable.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

If you check out the 1911 forums you will see that CHIP MCCORMICK POWER MAGS and WILSON COMBAT are the two most popular. You will also see that some people say their gun doesn’t “like” one of those, some the other.

I’ve never had a problem with a Chip McCormick, or a factory mag. I’ve never tried cheap aftermarket mags.

I think mags get a lot of the blame for junk ammo and guns that need attention. But that’s just my opinion based on what I’ve seen.

You tell someone they need the feed ramp polished on their precious 1911 or it is failing because it’s filthy and they act like you called their kids ugly.

Neither mag will fix a “bad” 1911. What’s wrong with your gun?

Nothing wrong with mine. I only have 2 factory mags and since I'm reloading 45 now I am gonna try to get at least 4 more mags. I have 2 factory mags plus one Chip McCormick mag and they all run good.

Yes I should add that I also use Chip McCormick Power Mags as well and have no issues with those either. I dont own any cheap mags to say that they are the reason my MC Operator runs so good. I imagine if your gun has an issue then mags won't fix it but quality mags are a good place to start when trouble shooting a gun's problem. They are relatively cheap vs gunsmithing and who couldn't use more good mags anyway. 

I also had a buddy that had a Kimber SIS and was having issues. I ran my mags in it and had zero problems. So in his case it did fix it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hipower said:

As far as CM vs WC, I have no solid preference.  I use both.

I got started on WC when I had a Kimber Pro Carry back about 2008. It was prone to fte issues, so I took it to the man/shop I bought it from to ask about it.

Rabbi looked it over and told me to try some different mags, as Kimber mags were sort of a hit or miss type and problematic. He handed me a couple of used Wilson Combat mags and told me to try them out.

I did. Problem solved. I've been buying Wilson mags ever since. I also have some Chip McCormick and his other product, Shooting Star mags. All have been completely reliable.

Awesome ! I hear the same . My 1911 is a S.A. Mil Spec made in 2003 . Had around a 1,000 through it but now I'm gonna run it hard. Never had a malfunction. Paid $400 new in box near the end of 2003. I wished I had got a few Norico 1911's then . They were around $275 used if I remember correctly .

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

I've been shooting 1911s for about 35 years now. I've used every kind of magazine from dirt cheap to top of the line. While some people love 'em, I've never really cared much for McCormack  mags. The only magazines I use for competition or carry are Wilson Combat.  Absolutely reliable. There is no better. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 2

Seems you've already decided.  But, I have had problems with ejection of empty CMC mags.  Wilsons have always worked very well.  I understand that Wilson now owns CMC.  I don't know if that will have implications.

The one thing I make sure of, is to get mags with followers (no tilt,) like Dan Wesson mags, and the Wilson ETM mags. 

• 3 weeks later...

47Ds are good mags. I have never had a problem with them reliability wise but they do tend to fail to lock back on the last rd after a while, just replace the follower and problem solved.The 47D is really the mid range Wilson mag now. They sell a $20 7 rd mag and the higher priced ETM variants as well as a new mag called the Elite Tactical Mag.Wilson bought CMC last year so it sounds like the Elite Tactical might have been a new CMC design they were working on.