Trump administration moves to ban bump stocks

5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’d put money on a fair number of folks modifying their bump stocks with say, a bolt through the outer portion just behind the innner portion to prevent sliding. You know the kind of setup that’s easily reversible. 

What good would that do? If you get caught, having a bolt through it isn't going to prevent being charged.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

What good would that do? If you get caught, having a bolt through it isn't going to prevent being charged.

Yeah that’s the wrong way.  My understanding is that these things have a friction fit that you can tighten and loosen.   I would use a little epoxy on that to keep it so it wouldn’t slide.  And you can always sand it off later.  But it’s permanent. 

7 minutes ago, Whisper said:

What Erik88 wrote.

The directive says the stocks must be destroyed or turned in to the government.  It doesn't give a third option for modifying the stocks in some way and then keeping them.  

Cheers,

Whisper

If it can’t function as a bump fire stock, it isn’t.  

37 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

So that’s different.  That’s already been registered as a firearm and exists on a registry.  

Don't think that will matter, like finding an old machingun in the attic and welding the barrel shut to keep it.  Inop yes, legal...I don't think so.

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

If it can’t function as a bump fire stock, it isn’t.  

Your lawyer could argue that in court I suppose..

If your 95 Ford Ranger hasn't started in 10 years it's still a Ford Ranger.

Edited by Erik88

Wonder about people having a latex "glove" that goes over the stock to obscure what it does....

I bet someone does something like to avoid it being readily visible.  Still illegal, but some people don't care. No condoning it at all either.

Btw, an unassembled suppressor...is not a suppressor,  so if you dissassembled the stock, woukd it still be illegal?

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Wonder about people having a latex "glove" that goes over the stock to obscure what it does....

I bet someone does something like to avoid it being readily visible.  Still illegal, but some people don't care. No condoning it at all either.

Btw, an unassembled suppressor...is not a suppressor,  so if you dissassembled the stock, woukd it still be illegal?

Actually, according to the ATF suppressor parts are in law suppressors. Having spare items such as rubber wipes for suppressors that use them is considered having an unregistered suppressor and people have been prosecuted for that. 

• Like 1

They will lose this one in court IF the court follows the law.

They're trying to say it fires more than one bullet per pull of the trigger in their new ruling.

We all know that is not true. 

Even the former BATFE Analyst who made the ruling on them making them legal to begin with says the one way to ban them is congress to make a new specific law banning them.

Meet One Of The Analysts Who Determined That Bump Stocks Were Legal (HBO)

And even if they ban them they still can't stop bumpfiring...

Bumpfire without bump/slide fire stock...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am kind of like some others on Bump Stocks, Fully AUTO, Machine Guns, Bazookas, Bombs, 50 Calibers, etc.,  "Why Do I Need Them".  Maybe fun to shoot if could afford. 🤑  And, I don't think folks are trying to take our guns, it's a political route.

This Trump thing is funny if not so sad.

I can remember his campaign. recent rallies, his behavior as president (not to mention his behavior long before running for president), the folks he has appointed (what 20 have bailed out or kicked out  and 5 been indicted and pleaded guilty), so I wonder why anyone would support him.

It is hard to understand that even  2nd Amendment groups, extreme right wingers, and racists  would support someone of his character.  Only a minority did, the Electoral College gave him to us.  Now we see what we got. 

Looking for a Blue Cap "Make America Decent Again". 😉