What podcasts are you listening to?

Chucktshoes

• Moderators

Before this year I was never really a podcast guy. The Shooter’s Nation podcast along with The Joe Rogan Experience finally got me into listening to them. There’s about a bajillion of them out there, so what are y’all listening to? 

The two I’ve been really into lately are 

https://www.themeateater.com/

This is Steven Rinella’s podcast. Rinella is probably the best public face of hunting out there. He’s a great talker and makes a really fun podcast  

https://cocaineandrhinestones.com/

Tyler Mahan Coe’s podcast is about the history of country music in the 20th century. It’s the stories behind the greatest storytelling genre in American music. The podcast is sometimes dark, sometimes NSFW, sometimes disturbing (watch out for the episode about Spade Cooley) but always incredibly detailed and informative. 

What are y’all listening to?

Of course Shooter's Nation, but here's a few more.

I'm an avid podcast listener as I download several at a time and listen to & from work each day.

Civilian Carry Radio. Very professionally done and formatted with top notch guests.

https://firearmsradio.tv/civilian-carry-radio/

Firearms Nation. Cop and competition centric...but very well produced. Bob Vogel, Brian Enos, Yong Lee...hell yeah!

https://firearmsnation.com/firearms-nation-live-with-yong-lee/

The American Warrior show aka Seeklander: Kinda over the top with much bravado but some great guests nonetheless...

http://americanwarriorshow.libsyn.com/

Ballistic Radio; Twas better when John Johnson still had a degree of humility about him, but worth the effort as he frequently has quality guests such as members of the Shivworks Collective...

http://ballisticradio.com/

• Thanks 1
  • Admin Team

I'll add a few.  I was just thinking about a thread like this the other day.

1. If you've not subscribed to Shooter's Nation - David has done a great job with this new effort.  He can chime in here about the amount of work it takes to do a weekly podcast beyond just gathering the content, but it's a huge lift and he's done a great job.

2. Cocaine & Rhinestones - this was a commitment, but I really enjoyed the later episodes - especially the one on Doug and Rusty Kershaw. Also, if you're just going to listen to one - listen to the Wynonna one and you'll come away wondering how either of the Judd girls are still standing.

3. In the Dark (Season 2) - In my opinion this is the best podcast since season one of Serial - including season one of serial. It's great. And, following the podcast, the Supreme Court has taken up the case.

4. Farm to Taber - a bit of an odd choice, but this is a thoroughly enjoyable podcast on modern agriculture from a doctor of plant medicine out of North Carolina.  

5. Atlanta Monster - this one probably messed up my world more than anything I listened to in 2018. It's about the Atlanta child murders that happened between 1979 and 1981. And, as someone who grew up in Atlanta during this time - if you asked me to draw a picture of the boogeyman, it would probably still look kind of like Wayne Williams. Fast forward 40 years - and they interview a bunch of victims' families who not only do they not believe that Wayne Williams didn't kill their son - they don't believe he killed anyone. Crazy.  The podcast will leave you with as many questions as answers - and Williams is not a reliable narrator. But, it's a good listen.  

6. Up and Vanished - by the same folks as Atlanta Monster - this follows the case of the murder of Tara Grimstead - a teacher in south Georgia who happens to be my same age. The podcast actually prompts renewed attention by the GBIU and results in two arrests

7. Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls - follows the stories of some historical women of accomplishment.  My kids really enjoy this podcast

8. How I Built This - this is with the guy who does Ted Radio Hour - interviewing founders of companies you know.  Start with the first one, where he interviews Sara Blakely the creator and founder of Spanx.

9. Make me Smart - this is probably my single favorite regular listen.  It's from Kai Ryssdal and Molly Wood of Marketplace just discussing economics and issues of the week in real time.

10. Left, Right, and Center - nuanced political discourse without screaming. 

11. The Promise - from WPLN here in Nashville - on several national top 10 lists this year.  An in depth look at public housing in a growing city - specifically the James A. Cayce homes here in Nashville.  It's short - maybe 6 episodes.  There's a major plot twist in the middle.  Well worth a listen

I could add a few more - but unless you're on the road a lot over the holidays, this is a bunch of listening.

• Like 1

I can't add a ton of value to this thread but I do listen to True Crime Garage. I'm a sucker for true crime stories and they do a good job of covering some cases you've heard of and some you probably haven't. They have covered several famous cases from Tennessee.

If you do decide to listen to their podcast the first one I would recommend is The Vanishing Man. @Chucktshoes, I think you would enjoy this episode. 

Here is a teaser,

https://www.truecrimegarage.com/podcast/blog/the-vanishing-man-177-178

Actual episode,

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/true-crime-garage/e/53003500?autoplay=true

Besides the obvious, ShootersNation, here are a couple more I like.

The Pat McAfee Show 2.0 - former punter of the Indianapolis Colts - really funny guy.

Heartland Radio 2.0 - the rest of Pat McAfee's crew with their own podcast.

This last one a lot of you probably will not like.  It is two very liberal, feminist, New York female comedians.  They interview a lot of people whose ideas and opinions I would never be exposed to.  Some of the stuff I agree with and a lot of it don't but it is always interesting to hear other peoples views and opinions.  The podcast is called:

Guys we F*****, the anti slut shaming podcast

• Admin Team
31 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Besides the obvious, ShootersNation, here are a couple more I like.

The Pat McAfee Show 2.0 - former punter of the Indianapolis Colts - really funny guy.

Heartland Radio 2.0 - the rest of Pat McAfee's crew with their own podcast.

This last one a lot of you probably will not like.  It is two very liberal, feminist, New York female comedians.  They interview a lot of people whose ideas and opinions I would never be exposed to.  Some of the stuff I agree with and a lot of it don't but it is always interesting to hear other peoples views and opinions.  The podcast is called:

Guys we F*****, the anti slut shaming podcast

On the topic of podcasts by New York females - I have a guilty pleasure in a podcast called By the Book - where these two women buy self help books and try to live by them faithfully for two weeks - then discuss the results.

I can only listen to so many at once - but it's good for a laugh at ourselves.

Living Free in Tennessee

The Survival Podcast

Grass Fed Life

Farm Small Farm Smart

Hack My Solar - Another local podcast. Not super entertaining and he is in the middle of a big life change so it has been a while since he put out an issue but he has solid info on Solar.

Homesteady - Also on Hiatus. Production value is really high and he has some great stories to tell. Hopefully he will get it going again soon. He and his family just moved to a new farm so he has been busy getting that under control (you can follow a lot of that on his youtube channel)

I drop in on others from time to time, mostly in the regenerative ag or permaculture space

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
15 minutes ago, Mark A said:

Living Free in Tennessee

The Survival Podcast

Grass Fed Life

Farm Small Farm Smart

Hack My Solar - Another local podcast. Not super entertaining and he is in the middle of a big life change so it has been a while since he put out an issue but he has solid info on Solar.

Homesteady - Also on Hiatus. Production value is really high and he has some great stories to tell. Hopefully he will get it going again soon. He and his family just moved to a new farm so he has been busy getting that under control (you can follow a lot of that on his youtube channel)

I drop in on others from time to time, mostly in the regenerative ag or permaculture space

You ought to give Farm to Taber a listen. You’ll enjoy it. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

I can't figure out how people find time to listen to podcasts. 

Well, I have a pretty large sales territory so that consumes a lot of it. I used to have a list of AM talk radio station listed by area but I got tired of angry white guy talk.

Next, when I'm at the office I have a 45 minute commute each way.

Finally, I spend a decent amount of time on the zero turn and the tractor. I mostly enjoy that but some of what I do is mind numbingly boring. I've always been a huge fan of music but now I don't fish, I've been happily married for 26 years, my dogs like me, and I've never lost my truck so country music doesn't interest me much any more.

Combine that with a desire to know a lot about a ton of useless topics and podcasts really work for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a decent sized sales territory so I've been in on podcasts for a couple years now. I love the Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcast, in particular his series on WWI. 

I will also listen to Jocko Willink, Jordan Peterson (Phenomenology of the Divine Series is excellent) and Sam Harris.  

• Like 1

My favorite is "Stuff you should know". The topics are usually interesting, and I like the format and banter between the hosts.

Ridiculous History is good. They tell you about some off the wall thing that happened long ago. Truth is stranger than fiction stuff.

BrainStuff is another one. It is usually really quick, explain like I'm 5, segments on how something works.

• Administrator
  • Administrator
On 12/19/2018 at 12:20 PM, MacGyver said:

David has done a great job with this new effort.  He can chime in here about the amount of work it takes to do a weekly podcast beyond just gathering the content, but it's a huge lift and he's done a great job.

Thanks!  Yes, it's quite a heavy lift to do a weekly show.  Consider that only a small percentage of podcasters make any real money off of it, and most are sending more money out the door each month than they take in with advertising, and it's pretty easy to see that it is a labor of love for most of us doing it.

We spend the largest amount of our time each week lining up new guests and doing research on the subject being discussed.  I'd say that is a solid 4-6 hours worth of work.  The actual mechanics of editing the audio and producing the episode take anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on how much editing I have to do, or how bad the guest's audio was due to them not using a good mic and headphones or having a sub-par Internet or phone connection.

The reward for us certainly isn't money or fame.  It's getting an email here or there from someone who says that you made their life better or safer somehow.  :)

• Like 2
On 12/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, MacGyver said:

5. Atlanta Monster - this one probably messed up my world more than anything I listened to in 2018. It's about the Atlanta child murders that happened between 1979 and 1981. And, as someone who grew up in Atlanta during this time - if you asked me to draw a picture of the boogeyman, it would probably still look kind of like Wayne Williams. Fast forward 40 years - and they interview a bunch of victims' families who not only do they not believe that Wayne Williams didn't kill their son - they don't believe he killed anyone. Crazy.  The podcast will leave you with as many questions as answers - and Williams is not a reliable narrator. But, it's a good listen.  

This was an excellent suggestion. I had never even heard of this case prior to you mentioning it. I must have changed my mind on his guilt vs innocence at least 10 times throughout the series. It really does leave you with more questions than answers as you said. I'd be curious to get your thoughts on whether or not he murdered anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
59 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

This was an excellent suggestion. I had never even heard of this case prior to you mentioning it. I must have changed my mind on his guilt vs innocence at least 10 times throughout the series. It really does leave you with more questions than answers as you said. I'd be curious to get your thoughts on whether or not he murdered anyone. 

I’m conflicted in this case simply because Wayne Williams may be his own worst enemy.  He’s not a reliable narrator, and his taking the stand during his trial is likely what sent him to prison.  

I don’t know whether he killed Nathaniel Cater or Jimmy Ray Payne, but I’m pretty certain he wasn’t involved with killing the children.  

I doubt you could get a conviction today. 

But, I also don’t think he’ll ever leave prison. 

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Contrast this case with Curtis Flowers’s case presented in season two of In the Dark and let me know what you think. 

12 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t know whether he killed Nathaniel Cater or Jimmy Ray Payne, but I’m pretty certain he wasn’t involved with killing the children.  

He never could explain what he was doing on that bridge. That's what bothered me. I wondered if he did murder those 2, and disposed of them there in hopes that they would just get roped in with the rest of the child murders. It was clear that he had been following the case on the news so he likely knew that kids were being dumped in that river. It's clear that there is a lot we may never know.

11 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Contrast this case with Curtis Flowers’s case presented in season two of In the Dark and let me know what you think. 

I'll check this one out next. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• 3 months later...

Just finished a few more good ones. Dr. Death by Wondery. This one will make you do a lot more research before you ever go in for surgery. It's a tale of hospitals putting profits over patients and not suffering any consequences. It's believed to be the first time a Dr has ever been criminally charged for actions during a surgery. It's worth a listen.

I found another podcast called Something's Not Right.  They cover true crime specific to Tennessee. The production quality and commentary isn't great but it's interesting to hear about local cases. They have a lot of cases from Nashville and Knoxville. 

Lastly, if you haven't listened to the one MacGyver mentioned(In the Dark), you really should go listen to it. It's made it all the way to the Supreme Court and even Justice Thomas has some interesting remarks. If memory serves, it's only the 2nd time in his nearly 30 years on the court that he's asked a question during oral arguments. Powerful case.