What podcasts are you listening to?

Chucktshoes

• Moderators

I just finished the very last episode. That was, Man, I don’t even have the words to describe the journey that was. And it was heartbreaking and at the same time there’s nuggets of real joy and hopefulness involved in there.

Now, personally, I have been disconnected from the church since not long after I started driving truck. The schedule does not lend itself to developing or maintaining a solid relational community with a congregation. I will say that this podcast definitely added more fuel to the fire that’s been growing inside me as of late to put in the work and make the changes necessary to get myself and my family back into a church community. Kind of ironic in some respects, considering how many hours I just spent listening to the damage and destruction done to such a large group of people in the name of God by a very broken man. 

• Love 2
  • Admin Team
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

it was heartbreaking and at the same time there’s nuggets of real joy and hopefulness involved in there.

Yes!

I found myself in awe of some of the people involved.  I found myself in tears several times listening to them - that despite everything they’ve been through they not only had their faith intact - but were thriving. Some of those bonus episodes left me so hopeful.

There’s a saying that I love - and use often, and it’s “as churches were going to disappoint you. And when we do - don’t leave.  Because if you leave you’re going to miss the Spirit shining through and filling in those cracks.”  I think we’re witness to that here.  The Spirit is still at work.

That’s the whole crux of it to me.  If I can take the liberty of preaching the gospel - salvation comes to communities.  I need my people.  My family needs our people.  It’s one thing when things are going great in our lives - faith is pretty easy the.  But life is hard sometimes - and that’s when a local faith community is so important.  Sometimes you need someone who can prop you up.  Sometime you need someone who can believe for you for a while. And maybe sometimes I can be that person for someone else.

I believe in a new heavens and new earth.  But I also fully believe that eternity starts today - and that we can participate in it starting today.  Despite the brokenness - the beauty can still shine through.

All that to say - let me offer encouragement on that journey.

Glad you enjoyed the podcast. You must’ve been listening in your sleep - that was a commitment. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

-76 Tuesday black diamond  guns and gear (from maryville )
-Risky Chrisky 
-Trench grenade 
-Minuteman initiative 
-The prepared mind set
-Hatchet cast 
-Brass facts
-Lodestone training and consulting 
-Rifle and mountain 
-The long house
-Strong men hard times podcast
-Dirty civilian 
-Project 22:3 preparedness 
-Modern day sniper podcast
-S2 underground 
-Primary & secondary podcast
-Precision rifle media
-The everyday marksman
-Guns beer and gear podcast
-The adaptive citizens 

About a year ago I started listening to podcasts. Didn't think I would enjoy it but fortunately I do, it also helps the radio likes to play the same 10 songs so doesn't take much not to want to listen the mainstream channels. Currently I enjoy Mike Drop podcast with Mike Ritland and The Shawn Ryan Show. I have started reading Mike Ritland's book Unf*ck America. Nice listening to people who can understand others have views that may at times oppose but be respectful and just let people live. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I've changed jobs and my commute is now much longer.  I've started the Mars Hill podcasts and found them interesting so far, so thanks to @MacGyver and @Chucktshoes for those. I'll check out some of the other podcasts recommended here. 

Question... are you guys using an app to listen or just through a web browser? I use Chrome on my android phone and it just stops playing every 10-15 minutes. If I unlock my phone, it starts back up. I don't know why it does that, but it's annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, peejman said:

So I've changed jobs and my commute is now much longer.  I've started the Mars Hill podcasts and found them interesting so far, so thanks to @MacGyver and @Chucktshoes for those. I'll check out some of the other podcasts recommended here. 

Question... are you guys using an app to listen or just through a web browser? I use Chrome on my android phone and it just stops playing every 10-15 minutes. If I unlock my phone, it starts back up. I don't know why it does that, but it's annoying. 

I stream them through Spotify. 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, peejman said:

Question... are you guys using an app to listen or just through a web browser?

I use (and like) AntennaPod.

I too listened to The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill, and the bonus episode with Tim Keller was my favorite.  It helped me appreciate why he became such a "celebrity" (for luck of a better word).  I listened to the first episode of In Plain Sight:  Lady Bird Johnson.  I found it interesting, but I'm going to catch up with Project 22:3 before I continue that one.

Am I in serious need for mental health services, or is everyone else hearing Better Help ads on most of their podcasts, too?

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I can highly recommend Sold a Story - by Emily Hanford at APM:

https://features.apmreports.org/sold-a-story/

It's about the "reading wars" and specifically how many districts use curriculums that are based on debunked methodologies.  Up until recently, there have been a lot of districts in Tennessee that have used some of those curriculums.  A lot of the methods are still being employed..

Maybe you've listened with confusion as Tennessee DOE has adopted the Wit and Wisdom curriculum and wondered, "should I care about this?" If you've wondered about "science of reading" vs. "whole language" or "balanced literacy" and wondered what exactly that means - this podcast is really informative.

If you've got a kid who struggles with reading - this podcast is definitely for you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished the Mars Hill podcasts recently. Very interesting.  I'd never heard of Driscoll but did enjoy some of the music that came from there.  Some of the stuff they did and put up with was just plain nuts.  It also struck home in some ways as the church we'd been attending collapsed and closed between Thanksgiving and Easter.  While our church dissolution was for (thankfully) different reasons, I can sympathize with some of what those people are dealing with. It's exceedingly frustrating when the one entity you expect to be the most transparent turns out quite opaque. 

On a more positive note, it was encouraging to discover that actual journalism isn't dead after all, it just doesn't exist in mainstream media anymore. 

Anyway... so I've found I like a podcast on my way to work in the morning, something to engage my brain. Thanks for the recommendations, I have quite a list to work through. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
23 minutes ago, peejman said:. 

On a more positive note, it was encouraging to discover that actual journalism isn't dead after all, it just doesn't exist in mainstream media anymore. 

This is encouraging - even if we find ourselves in a weird liminal space right now.

Independent investigative reporting hasn’t (and likely won’t) replace traditional media outlets. But as so many local papers are being gutted - it’s encouraging to see examples like these.

FWIW - I subscribed to CT to see what else they were covering and to “support us so we can do more of this.”  I don’t know what I was expecting, but their reporting is surprisingly compelling.  I enjoy reading it. 

• Like 2
  • 8 months later...

If you like NASCAR history check out "Scene Vault Podcast". I ran across this while I've been down after knee surgery and got hooked. I skipped around  some at first and then went to the first and started going all the way through. You'll hear a lot of stories from behind the scenes that you never heard before from  drivers, crew members, and owners.

• Admin Team

For a local Tennessee connection you might give Murder 101 a listen.  It’s about a high school class in Elizabethton, TN that essentially breaks the case of a 40 year-old serial killer.

It’s quite consumable, and also not entirely done yet.

It’s a fun listen you could make it all the way through in an afternoon. 

All of y'all are over here being all scholarly and intellectual and I'm just spending 2-3 most weeks listening to Theo Von talk about cocaine and the redneck way of life. 

• Like 1