What podcasts are you listening to?

Chucktshoes

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Anyone have any new podcast recommendations?

I've been listening to "Off Duty On Duty" podcast with Bryan Eastridge and many guest speakers from within the firearms community. It's definitely not just from an LEO perspective.

Episode 96 on Defensive Load Development was very informative.

https://offdutyonduty.com/532/episode-96-defensive-load-development/

I also listen to "That Weems Guy" podcast on Spotify. There's Youtube vids as well.

Lee Weems has posted here on TGO before.

I really like his podcasts the quality guests he has. Interesting and educational discussions.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2OvkQAuGC0vhyolnjXWfTW

Enjoy your trip. Be safe.

Arizona is a beautiful State!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Anyone have any new podcast recommendations? My wife and I are about to do a cross country road trip to Arizona and I'll need some new material. 

When traveling I like to experience what is going on in the areas I travel through, therefore I scan the radio for local talk shows or whatever rock/college stations there might be. 

4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Anyone have any new podcast recommendations? My wife and I are about to do a cross country road trip to Arizona and I'll need some new material.

Check out "I Spy".  It's about  (and usually interviews with) former spies.  I also really enjoyed the first season of Blindspot which is about intelligence failures that lead up to 9/11.

I like the Dry Creek Wrangler School podcast. The podcast is new, but he’s had a YouTube channel for a while. He’s a cowboy that teaches horsemanship and packing, but the podcast is more old cowboy wisdom, you don’t have to be a horse person to listen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin Team

Let me recommend to you the current season of Embedded, titled Taking Cover:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510311/embedded

I know some of y'all might be dismissive of it because it's produced by NPR.  I really encourage you to look past that and give it a listen. It's produced by Embedded reporters - who as the name suggests - have reported from various war zones for the entirety of the last 20 years.  Tom Bowman, one of the co-hosts of this podcast was in a convoy that was attacked in Helmand Province in 2016 when photographer Dave Gilkey was killed.

At its core, this story is about doing right by the memories of two Marines and their Iraqi interpreter who were killed in what would come to be known as the First Battle of Fallujah on April 12, 2004.

There is a definite twist in the plot line of the podcast - and when you hear it it puts a lot of stuff into perspective. It's an ugly story. It's hard to listen to. 

But, at the end of the day, all the twists fade into the background.  It's a deeply reported podcast about bringing truth to the families of the 2/1 Marines out of Pendleton who died that day. 

Note to add, this podcast probably wasn’t good for my PTSD.  I found myself so angry at times and in tears moments later.  The last 22 and a half years have been really tough.  Be kind to yourself - and listen insofar as you feel it’s healthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently read all the way through this thread when some new posts popped up. Until then I had never listened to a pod cast. Well,  after reading this I listened to "In The Dark season 2", for four days. Couldn't stop. I either had blue tooth ear buds or a speaker with me all the time I was outside doing things. It consumed me. I haven't listened to another one yet. I don't want to get drawn into another one right now. 

• Like 2
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, -boatman- said:

I recently read all the way through this thread when some new posts popped up. Until then I had never listened to a pod cast. Well,  after reading this I listened to "In The Dark season 2", for four days. Couldn't stop. I either had blue tooth ear buds or a speaker with me all the time I was outside doing things. It consumed me. I haven't listened to another one yet. I don't want to get drawn into another one right now. 

I can hear that theme music in my head as I type this.

I’m glad you got to enjoy it in its resolved form - even if it took 4 days 😭

It was brutal when it first came out waiting a week until the next episode.  We all grew up that way - how quickly things have changed.

They’re working on a third season as we speak.  The team got laid off by Minnesota Public Radio a while back - but someone brought the whole team over - maybe the New Yorker?

I imagine that was the most significant work any of them will do in their careers - but I’ll sure be glad to see new episodes. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
On 4/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Cocaine & Rhinestones is back!!!!

Excited Chandler Bing GIF

If you had told me at the beginning of season 2 that I was going to listen to approximately 20 hours of in depth history of everything George Jones - I don’t know that I would have committed to it - even knowing how much I enjoyed season 1.

I really enjoyed the entirety of the second season. 

• Love 1
  • Moderators
48 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

If you had told me at the beginning of season 2 that I was going to listen to approximately 20 hours of in depth history of everything George Jones - I don’t know that I would have committed to it - even knowing how much I enjoyed season 1.

I really enjoyed the entirety of the second season. 

His ability to weave a story from such wildly disparate places to revolve around one single person is amazing. 

Season 3 though is supposed to return to the season 1 format of multiple smaller stories. 

Lemme ask though, what was your opinion of the intro sections? Some friends didn’t care so much for them but I really enjoyed those parts. It was like two podcasts in one. 

• Admin Team
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

His ability to weave a story from such wildly disparate places to revolve around one single person is amazing. 

Season 3 though is supposed to return to the season 1 format of multiple smaller stories. 

Lemme ask though, what was your opinion of the intro sections? Some friends didn’t care so much for them but I really enjoyed those parts. It was like two podcasts in one. 

I enjoyed them - but you really had to commit to listen - and then listen to the episode with the intro in mind.  It all came back to the overarching story he had to tell.  I took them I n a, “nothing new under the sun” sort of way.

I wonder if for some people it would have been helpful to be able to listen to the intros at the end after they had heard they had heard the episode?

One of my favorite things about that podcast was some of the music that he went and hunted down.  I’ve enjoyed listening to some of it after the podcast ended.  

• Moderators

13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I enjoyed them - but you really had to commit to listen - and then listen to the episode with the intro in mind.  It all came back to the overarching story he had to tell.  I took them I n a, “nothing new under the sun” sort of way.

I wonder if for some people it would have been helpful to be able to listen to the intros at the end after they had heard they had heard the episode?

One of my favorite things about that podcast was some of the music that he went and hunted down.  I’ve enjoyed listening to some of it after the podcast ended.  

Yeah, you can always count on TMC to come up with killer musical choices. 

I’m looking forward to seeing this season in print as a book. 

I re-listened to season 1 a while back. I figure I’d go through season 2 again once we get close to 3. 

5 hours ago, -boatman- said:

Until then I had never listened to a pod cast. Well,  after reading this I listened to "In The Dark season 2", for four days. Couldn't stop.

That podcast legitimately changed me. I don't know that any form of media has impacted me like that one. It really opened my eyes to how pitiful our legal system is. 

39 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

That podcast legitimately changed me. I don't know that any form of media has impacted me like that one. It really opened my eyes to how pitiful our legal system is. 

That DA was a piece of work. I hated his mother didn't live to see him go free.

• Admin Team
39 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

That DA was a piece of work. I hated his mother didn't live to see him go free.

He lost a run off bid for Circuit Judge back in December.

He’s still DA for now - I think he’s got a year left on his term.  He’s cost the state of Mississippi a bunch of money.  I hope this is his last term in office. 

• Admin Team

A couple of more recommendations now that I'm not on mobile.

1. Floodlines by The Atlantic.  This is an in depth examination of everything that went wrong in Hurricane Katrina.  The whole series is worth it - but there are two episodes that really stand out.  First, the episode with Lieutenant General Russell Honorè is outstanding.  Second, the last episode where they interview the FEMA Director at the time - the infamous Michael ("Brownie") Brown is worth a listen.

2. In Plain Sight: Lady Bird Johnson. If you're a history buff - or even if you're not - I cannot recommend this podcast enough.  The premise - a journalist was doing research in the Johnson Presidential Library and came across 123 hours of recorded audio diaries made by Lady Bird Johnson that no one had ever really documented.  She was her husband's closest confidant - and it is a first hand look straight into the White House.  While there is some light narration to tie everything together - this podcast is more or less Lady Bird Johnson in her own words.  It goes from LBJ's time in the Senate, to Dealey Plaza, to the White House, to their ranch in Texas, and covers everything from the war in Vietnam to the assassinations of the '60's.  It's really an amazing first hand look.

3. The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill by Christianity Today - covers as the title states the meteoric rise of the Mars Hill Church and celebrity pastor Mark Driscoll.  If you're a Christian in America today - you've been influenced whether you realize it or not by celebrity pastors and the mega church movement. If you’ve been a part of an Acts 29 network church, or if you just wonder, “how did we get here?” this podcast is for you  This podcast looks at the good and bad of the movement and church and the people who built and enabled it. It's really a testament to what happens when we put a person between us and Jesus.  

That's probably 30 hours of listening - even though the first two are quite bingeable - so @-boatman- take note 🙂

Let me know what you think.

• Thanks 2
On 5/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, MacGyver said:

That's probably 30 hours of listening - even though the first two are quite bingeable - so @-boatman- take note 🙂

When I get ready to jump off a cliff into another one I'll check them out. Thank you.

• Moderators
On 5/5/2023 at 5:32 PM, MacGyver said:

3. The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill by Christianity Today - covers as the title states the meteoric rise of the Mars Hill Church and celebrity pastor Mark Driscoll.  If you're a Christian in America today - you've been influenced whether you realize it or not by celebrity pastors and the mega church movement. If you’ve been a part of an Acts 29 network church, or if you just wonder, “how did we get here?” this podcast is for you  This podcast looks at the good and bad of the movement and church and the people who built and enabled it. It's really a testament to what happens when we put a person between us and Jesus.  

I binged the first 5 episodes today on the drive up to Chicago today. Man this is an extremely well done and engaging listen. Having been in a plant (not Acts 29 affiliated) at the peak of the Mark Driscoll/Mars Hill phenomenon in the mid-00s/early 10s I remember it being a very big thing. My pastor at the time was fairly critical of Driscoll’s personal style but was friendly with the pastors of the Acts 29 plants in the area. I myself admired what it appeared was going on with Mars Hill from the outside. The rock star vibe was very real and very attractive to a newer Christian like myself at the time. 

All that to say, I’ve got a measure of personal attachment to the subject matter and have gotten sucked in immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Admin Team
12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I binged the first 5 episodes today on the drive up to Chicago today. Man this is an extremely well done and engaging listen. Having been in a plant (not Acts 29 affiliated) at the peak of the Mark Driscoll/Mars Hill phenomenon in the mid-00s/early 10s I remember it being a very big thing. My pastor at the time was fairly critical of Driscoll’s personal style but was friendly with the pastors of the Acts 29 plants in the area. I myself admired what it appeared was going on with Mars Hill from the outside. The rock star vibe was very real and very attractive to a newer Christian like myself at the time. 

All that to say, I’ve got a measure of personal attachment to the subject matter and have gotten sucked in immediately. 

I was in grad school in Seattle and lived in Ballard as Mars Hill was getting started.  It broke my heart when it imploded in on itself.

Some of the bonus episodes give testament to how much God is still at work picking up the pieces.  It’s a cautionary tale for sure - and one we can all learn from.  But man.  God remains.

I was impressed that the host and others were honest about their own influences as well.  

• Love 1
  • Moderators
15 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I was in grad school in Seattle and lived in Ballard as Mars Hill was getting started.  It broke my heart when it imploded in on itself.

Some of the bonus episodes give testament to how much God is still at work picking up the pieces.  It’s a cautionary tale for sure - and one we can all learn from.  But man.  God remains.

I was impressed that the host and others were honest about their own influences as well.  

I just listened to the first bonus episode on Joshua Harris. I don’t have any connection to him or his work, but something about that episode just really resonated with me. I’m not sure exactly what it’s poking at, but oof it’s got my insides stirred up. 

• Admin Team
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

I just listened to the first bonus episode on Joshua Harris. I don’t have any connection to him or his work, but something about that episode just really resonated with me. I’m not sure exactly what it’s poking at, but oof it’s got my insides stirred up. 

I'm to old for the purity culture movement - but I had that same reaction.

His story is interesting because he was literally at a far end of a spectrum (although one that seemed completely normal to a lot of well meaning folks at the time) and when his belief system came apart he had nothing left to hang onto.  He lost his marriage, his faith, all of it.

It's heartbreaking.

I hope that whatever his next act looks like - he surrounds himself with some voices that can speak truth.

Somewhere in those first series of episode, someone said of Driscoll that his "charisma outpaced his character" and allowed him to find success before he was ready to handle it. That really resonated with me.

• Like 1