Entry level 1911

Parrothead

After the first of the year, I’m looking to pick up a entry level (~$500) 1911. It will be purely for range use as I prefer DAO for my carry weapons. It should go without saying but, it needs to be in .45–Any suggestions?

I’ve had a Taurus in the past and it was pretty solid but I didn’t like that some of the parts weren’t interchangeable with traditional 1911 components. 

Oh, the less obnoxious the slide markings, the better. I’m a bit of a minimalist when it comes to logos and such. 

Thanks! 

Rock Island and Citadel are both good values in the sub-house payment part of the market. (They're affiliated companies, but I'm short on details.)

If I ever buy another new 1911, one of them would likely be my choice. Probably one from Citadel, as they seem to have features like an ambi safety for a bit less money.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

IMO $200-300 more dollars makes the difference between an entry level 1911 and a nice 1911.

I agree. I buy hard into the “buy once, cry once” theory. If I was looking for something to carry, I wouldn’t be shopping this market. I’m just of the belief everyone should have a 1911 and I enjoy punch holes in paper with them at the range. 

For the intended use, I’m not too concerned with the finish. I want it to fit together without rattles and shoot reasonable well. Not needing a heirloom piece with this purchase. 

My very personal, humble opinion. Rock Island. You can get pistols from the standard GI level up to some very nice models with features like see on 1000+ pistols. All for about 600.

Disclaimer. I do own Sigs, Springfield, Smith, and Rock Island 1911 pistols.

• Like 5

I went down this path with Metro Arms, which are no longer sub $500.

I think Rock Island is a great place to start for someone just entering the 1911 arena. 

If you hate it, resell on an entry level SA, Ruger, etc for +$200 maybe stronger - but I don't know with no recent 1911 experience.

If you are close to a Rural King store they had a great sale on last week. RIA on sale one day was $379.99 if I remember correctly. Go to their web site and get on their gun email list for their sale dates and prices, can order on line and have shipped to local RK store. I bought a Kimber Micro 380 last Sat. out the door $503.86

59 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

I went down this path with Metro Arms, which are no longer sub $500.

I think Rock Island is a great place to start for someone just entering the 1911 arena. 

If you hate it, resell on an entry level SA, Ruger, etc for +$200 maybe stronger - but I don't know with no recent 1911 experience.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with 1911 parts or pistols from Palmetto State Armory?

At least, I think they're into 1911s now...

I'm a 1911 guy and own a bunch of 'em.  :D 

To me an entry level gun is a well made, quality G.I. type pistol without any bells or whistles. And then there's just plain cheap. There is a difference between the two. 

I'll go along with Rock Island. I own one. Decent gun, but I had to tweak mine a little to get it running right. In all fairness, mine is in .38 Super. I've never heard anything bad about their .45s. 

For a little bit more, you can get a Springfield Armory  Mil-Spec 1911. A simple, plain jane pistol at a reasonable price. Well made, top quality and if you should ever need it, the absolute best customer service in the industry. This is what I recommend. ;)

• Like 1

I found the Ruger for $629.  He was looking to spend about $500.  Soooooo

Sure, get a 10mm.  You also get more recoil and higher ammo cost.  OP mentioned using only for range.  I'm thinking 9mm is the go to for range use (taking all into consideration.)  Plus, it would make a good backup, in case his EDC is out of the picture for any reason.  I can't see a 10mm, with the over-penetration possibility, being a carry gun (YMMV;)  The heart wants what the heart wants, however.

Just an opinion.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:42 AM, Steelharp said:

Rock Island, $449 + tax & TICS.

Maybe they are a little higher in Nashville, but I have seen several for $399 plus fees on shelves around Chattanooga. If you buy online you can get close to $399 OTD.

• Like 1

don't know how long they'll last or if your timeline is flexible, but these are a smoking deal. One fits your stated budget, the other is worth springing for if you're willing and able.

https://www.reedssports.com/shop/springfield/springfield-1911-milspec-parkerized-45acp--280169

https://www.reedssports.com/shop/springfield/springfield-1911-loaded-stainless-45acp-5i-304252

Happy New Year,

Tom.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:19 AM, Parrothead said:

After the first of the year, I’m looking to pick up a entry level (~$500) 1911. It will be purely for range use as I prefer DAO for my carry weapons. It should go without saying but, it needs to be in .45–Any suggestions?

I’ve had a Taurus in the past and it was pretty solid but I didn’t like that some of the parts weren’t interchangeable with traditional 1911 components. 

Oh, the less obnoxious the slide markings, the better. I’m a bit of a minimalist when it comes to logos and such. 

Thanks! 

Are we talking 500 new or 500 used @Parrothead