UPDATE - first range report - $1000 HiPoint and customer for life

A.J. Holst

Like my M1 carbine project, this one got way out of hand. 

Once I was pot committed, I had to see it to the river.

The total investment includes repurposed items not specifically bought for this carbine and amortized over 8 years.

$175: original purchase, used new in box with PotA stock, 4 mags, and compensator.

$70:  ATI storm-clone stock. IF YOU OWN ONE OF THESE, THROW IT AWAY, THEY ARE FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY. This stock is the reason I had to make a warranty claim AND HiPoint covered it. This stock is poorly designed for the recoil and will damage the firing pin channel. I had fired less than 200 rounds will using this stock and the damage is easily identifiable by HiPoint. I disclosed to HP my use, they fixed and advised continued use voids the warranty.

$50: Deerfield 3-9 x 40 scope, this was a freebie, part of a trade deal.

$20: Scope rings

$40: Budget bipod, swivel mount

Got scared enough by posts on the HP Forum to ditch the ATI and upgrade to the TS stock. Noticed no damage when I swapped out the receiver, but the damage was already done.

$40: Tactical stock

$45: Mag holder +2 mags

$50: Budget bipod, rail mount

$40: BSA red dot

Ran this version through a carbine class with no malfunctions and determined with 10 round mags, I could keep it running.

Then I saw the High Tower Armory bullpup and I had to have it. They have addressed the recoil with a more fully supported barrel and piston to buffer the bolt.

$250: HTA stock with one charging handle

$15: ambi charging handle

$200: Burris FF3, repurposed from my M1 Carbine.

$70: 2 M-Lok QD sling mounts and swivels

$40 Magpul AFG2

$30: Caldwell sling

Swapping from the TS To the HTA revealed the unique cracking of the firing pin channel from the ATI stock. I probably shot 1000 rounds in the TS with zero malfunctions, so unknown how much longer I could have shot it before a failure.

$18: Shipped back to HiPoint, USPS

Became a customer for life when I got it back, the only re-used part was the frame.

New breech bolt, internals, receiver cover, stock with tool-less receiver pins, 6 new mags to replace the 6 old ones, one new mag, and the sling and swivel kit.

The finish if the new bolt and receiver cover is much improved since 2008.

Per checklist, 110 rounds of 115gr blazer, rem, and win to function test with all mags.

$65: 2 Redball 20 round mags and 2 HP speed loaders.

You should not pursue a similar project, too many purpose built, higher quality 9mm carbines in the market.

If you're thinking about getting a PCC, start  with a TS and be happy 

IMG_20181222_094659513.jpg

It works.

110 rounds of Win 124gr NATO

7 new 10 round mags; HP is improving their branding - HP logo and mfg date stamped into mag body.

2 - 20 round Redball mags.

Zero malfunctions.

I have to slightly rotate the mag in a counter clockwise direction to get it to fall free, occurred with all the mags. I'll call HTA next week and report back.

Since I was moving the Fast Fire from one gun to another, I did my best creating a rest with my two sandbags, but couldn't quite get a comfortable set up.

Center, 3 mags, 10 yards, tweaked windage only

LL, 1 mag, 15 yards

LR, 1 mag, 20 yards

UR and UP, 1 mag ea, 25 yards

Not pictured, 15 yards at 9 - 2" circles, 20 yards, 6 - 3" circles, and standing, 15 yards, 8" circle, 15 of 20 on target.

IMG_20181223_204216207.jpg

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Don't remodel a room for a gun cave. Had a budget, threw the budget away (day 2) and my motto became, "Well I've already come this far" lol.

Good looking setup. And if you enjoyed the journey then it's all worth it. 

Hmmm... “remodel a room for a gun cave...” 🤔

I like it!

I also like your build @Gotthegoods

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

He said "Hi Point"! Nuff said!

Hope you had fun.

HiPoint, like Colt 45, works every time.

If it had ever failed, I would have replaced it.

Subtract the HTA stock and FF3, I'm in good shape.

Heading to Bud's today to see how it shoots.

• Like 3

I’ve enjoyed both the ones I’ve had.  I think they are a great value.  I like the looks of yours a lot. Now that you’ve show how to do it, that project could be done for a lot less! Thanks for sharing and paving the way.  

Give us a range report when you get back from Bud’s! 🙂