Recomendations needed... Great big soft shooting 9 mm...

leroy

Dear Brothers n Sisters....

I have re-emerged from my long winter's nap and have been thinkin again about a big, soft shooting 9 mm plastic pistol... I've got a Glock 20 and a 21 layin around... I like the size...

Either a Glock or an XD... What do you "Frequent Shooters" like and why...?

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas...

leroy

If big and plastic fantastic is what you want maybe a Glock G17 or SA XD service size.  

Broadening the horizons a bit might interest you in a Sig P320 though.  So easy to shoot. 

What I would really recommend is an old S&W third gen.  There are few softer and pleasant shooting 9’s.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
  • Moderators
23 minutes ago, Garufa said:

If big and plastic fantastic is what you want maybe a Glock G17 or SA XD service size.  

Broadening the horizons a bit might interest you in a Sig P320 though.  So easy to shoot. 

What I would really recommend is an old S&W third gen.  There are few softer and pleasant shooting 9’s.

Love all these guns. Isn't it great the selections we have. 

49 minutes ago, leroy said:

Dear Brothers n Sisters....

I have re-emerged from my long winter's nap and have been thinkin again about a big, soft shooting 9 mm plastic pistol... I've got a Glock 20 and a 21 layin around... I like the size...

Either a Glock or an XD... What do you "Frequent Shooters" like and why...?

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas...

leroy

The gen4 Glock 17 fits my hand remarkably well. It's one of my favorite guns.  But if you want a 9mm, just for fun I may opt for something that has a bit more....character.  

How about a CZ 75 or similar? Walther PPQ might be on my list too.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Steelharp said:

Canik TP9sa. Period.

Agreed. I bought mine when they first hit the market, just because it was a cheaper pistol. I paid 249 thru on of the online distributors then. I bought a jewel for rhinestone pricing.

The TP9sa has been a great shooter. Fantastic trigger, short audible reset that's so easy to manage it's unbelievable. Grip angle is awesome and the feel is perfect.

I'd like to say I converted Steelharp to it, lol, but I really don't remember if he bought before or after we got together with mine.

Either way, the Canik would be a great choice for a high capacity, easy shooting, "plastic" 9, Leroy. 

• Like 1

Just to throw something different out there - Sig P320 X5. Weighted magwell, 21 rounds of flat trigger goodness. 

But like someone else said I wouldn't go plastic, I'd go either CZ SP-01 or Shadow 2, depending on what kind of money you wanted to spend. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peejman said:

I'll agree that a full frame steel gun is gonna have the least recoil. The older, big S&W autos are really good. Just find one that fits your hand and your eye. 

I'm not sure I agree. My 1911 has substantially more recoil than my Glock 21. It really is a night and day difference. The metal guns don't "absorb" the recoil like the polimer frames. Maybe 9mm is different? 

• Like 1

All my 9mms seem light, but the best shooting one IMO is my Browning Hi Power.  It just rocks in my hand and comes back down on target. It's just a single action but I've actually carried it a few times, locked and loaded of course.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Omega said:

All my 9mms seem light, but the best shooting one IMO is my Browning Hi Power.  It just rocks in my hand and comes back down on target. It's just a single action but I've actually carried it a few times, locked and loaded of course.

There’s a reason that the P35 was one of, if not the most widely adopted sidearm around the world. 

• Like 2
On 12/22/2018 at 10:04 PM, DWARREN123 said:

If you really want soft shooting then go all metal, especially all steel. The weight absorbs the recoil.

Something like a 1911 in steel chambered in 9mm.

What he said ^^^.  I used to like plastic until I bought my full sized Colt Government 1911 in 9mm.  Such a sweet and accurate shooter!  I am planning on selling some of my plastic now, to buy the smaller Colt Defender 9mm for carry and BUG competitions.

10 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not sure I agree. My 1911 has substantially more recoil than my Glock 21. It really is a night and day difference. The metal guns don't "absorb" the recoil like the polimer frames. Maybe 9mm is different? 

The bore axis is much lower in the Glock than the 1911. I'd bet you notice more muzzle flip than recoil. 

11 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

There’s a reason that the P35 was one of, if not the most widely adopted sidearm around the world. 

As my screen handle suggests, I might have mentioned the BHP, but Leroy's criteria of plastic ruled it out initially.

However, I find that my Hipowers, and the related clones; CZs especially, are some of the easiest to shoot pistols I own or have ever shot.

Most fun for me? Dang, I want to say the BHP/CZ. But I have been slowly converted over the last 10 years. I find the 1911 platform the absolute boss for me in all metal frame pistols.

• Like 3

Well if it were me, I'd go with a FNH FNS.  Best 9mm I've ever shot.  Really like mine!!!  Comes with three mags too, for around $400.  If you would like to try it out, let me know.  You supply the rounds and I'll supply the FNS. :)

If you decide on a steel 9mm, not sure you could do better than a CZ75 or a Browning Hi-Power.  The CZ will be cheaper than the Browning. I prefer both over the Beretta  92 and the S&W's.

• Like 2