TAURUS SPECTRUM 380 - Picked Up De 23 (Traded Hi-Point)

PAULSHOOT

I got carried away on my Hi-Point Topic regarding this trade and reason I did and an evaluation of the Spectrum ( I have not shot it yet, just notice the scratch trigger pull - double action in case you did not know that).

Summarize part of the reason for the trade was because of the $35 rebate on the Spectrum (by Taurus) and Smoky Mtn Gun did offer to trade. Not much offer, but $75 for the gun, case, extra Mag.  So, final cost cash from me was $79.66 for the switch.  

Then thought I should start a new topic on the TAURUS SPECTRUM 380 based on my evaluation at this point. Maybe, someone has some experience with the firing pin (removal) that I don't. 😀 

HMMM!!! Just realized be easier to go copy from my Hi-Point post to paste it here than to retype it. I did and came back to edit this post.  

I add an evaluation with out having shot the Spectrum 380. 

U-Tube reviews in general are good. It Is What It Is, a low priced small pistol primarily made for easy Concealed Carry, and not a target pistol although some folks do pretty good shooting it.

I have not shot it, but did break it down, lube it and have racked it hundreds of times (cheap break in with out AMMO). By the way, a very easy break down, turn one screw head 1/4 turn CCW and pull slide off, put slide back on and the lock screw resets itself. Barrel and spring with rod is easy out also. 

My main issue not having shot it is the Trigger Pull, it is double only so a long pull before break and a long reset. The worst thing is the trigger is scratchy during the long pull. 

Having the slide off I noticed the trigger pull is very smooth with out the slide (only the trigger parts and not setting the firing pin in the slide). 

I then moved the firing pin back (manually) on the slide and you can feel the scratchiness.

I took the spring and short rod (it's in the rear of the slide) out of the slide and you still feel the scratchiness when moving the firing pin by hand. 

Removing the firing in beyond what I did is a DIFFICULT procedure with a number of small springs and a pin involved per U-Tube posts (check U-Tube for Taurus Spectrum 380 Firing Pin Removal).

There are only two posts and they are not complete.:

One guy is misled in thinking the firing pin is the rod in the spring. That rod is not the firing pin, it is rod to guide the spring.  He does at least show how to remove that spring and rod from the slide. 

The other guy's presentation is more informative as he did have his firing pin out at one time (he says). HOWEVER, he dose not show the removal. He points out that the main block in the slide where the firing pin is actually located (call it the firing pin assembly) can be removed. However, he points out he had a very hard time getting it back together as total of three little springs to deal with and a pin he nearly lost. 

I had not researched U-Tube before looking at mine (dumb), but at least I did not go so far as to remove the block (firing pin assembly). I did remove the rear spring and rod. 

I did then manually slide the firing pin (call it the tip the trigger moves) by hand and could feel the scratchiness. SO, IT IS IN THE FIRING PIN ASSEMBLY. 

The black tube 'thingy' I slid back reaches a stop, but there is a button (Thin about 1/4 inch) in the slide near the rear that releases that black tube 'thingy' and allows it to slide back another 1/2 inch. 

That exposes a bit more of the firing pin, a metal portion shows up that appears to have some wear (remember this gun has not been fired, but dry fired maybe 10 times at most).  

The black tube 'thingy' that seems to contain the firing pin is blocked from coming any further. SO, NOT MUCH ELSE can be done in that position.

I AM GLAD I DID NOT GO FURTHER as not knowing what I am doing. 

I would like to maybe Emory Paper it smoother if I could gain access to it after a closer look.

I will just go and see if it shoots at this point. Hope I did not mess anything up.

ANYONE have any experience with the Spectrum 380 (in particular the firing pin and trigger scratchiness)?????

Edited by PAULSHOOT

Update after first visit to a Range (shot 26 rounds).

SUMMARY: Results were not good as far as performance with light primer strikes, a fail to feed, a fail to lock back on last round, and trigger is not the best but I did manage to shoot pretty accurate (For Me) once I got the feel of the trigger. 

More details:

I am disappointed because of the Failures to Fire (light primer strikes I reckon) on say 5 or 6 of 26 rounds I shot. Maybe going to need some fire pin assembly improvement.  It's double action so kept pulling trigger and the rounds that did not fire the first pull did by pull 2 or 3. I had one that pulled 5, maybe 10 times all together as took it out and put it back in once. It never did fire and I thought maybe a bad round. I later stuck it in the 9mm and it fired the first strike

I saw some issues about Fail To Fire on U-Tube Reviews, folks sent gun back to Taurus and problem got fixed on warranty (TAURUS has changed Warranty to 1 year on guns MFG after Jan 2017). I am covered for a year, but DANG I hate to spend the money to send it back and then wait and hope it is fixed.

I also had one (maybe 2) Fail to Feed, the round wedged nose first against the bottom of the feed ramp. That also showed up on a U-Tube Review with a fix (by the U-Tube Guy). He had one MAG that ran good, and another did not run good (Fail To Feed). He noted the 'bad' MAG let the bullets set level (horizontal) vs sloped up toward the ramp. So, the slide would shove the nose of the bullet into the bottom of the ramp and wedge it there. He bent the lip of the 'bad' MAG just to allow the bullet to point up as a fix.

Thing is, my MAGs (2 of them) appear to allow the bullet to point up (at least the top bullet is). I noticed the second or next round was sitting level, not sloped up. Perhaps it does not always get correct orientation before the slide picks up the round and slams it shut. Guess wait and see about that problem.

Accuracy for me took some getting use to the trigger  (long pull as double action, and long reset). I finally got the feel of when break was coming and did not do too bad (for ME).

I might add the trigger take up is scratchy. I think that is due to the firing pin assembly cause when I had the gun broke down, the trigger feels fine, but when manually operating the firing pin assembly, I could feel the scratchiness.  I disassembled the firing pin assembly to a point, did not learn much except when I had the spring and a guide rod out - could still feel the scratchiness. Further disassembly gets complicated per one U-Tube guy that said very hard to put back together cause of three small springs besides the large spring and rod that I took out.

Anyway, guess it will be fun to mess with for awhile, I liked it for What It Is, but did expect it would perform, I hope can get it squared away.

Cleaned it up after the first shoot (25 rounds and say 10 Fail to Fire), I also cleaned up the feed ramp as I had one Fail to Feed the first shoot. The Fail to Feed was with the round's projectile's nose (just below center of point) wedged against the bottom of the feed ramp and the tail of the round still in the MAG.

That Fail to Feed had nothing to do with the surface of the feed ramp, maybe the design of the bottom of the feed ramp and the slope of the round in the MAG. 

Very hard to clear that type Fail to Feed as the MAG would not come out and could not move the round except to pry it with a screwdriver (on my knife) or something else.  

Anyway, took the pistol out again Jan 2 (26 rounds). They they did at least all fire this time but had to pull trigger 2 or 3 times on say 10 rounds of the 26.  I also, had a Fail to Feed on the first round from one clip (again nose against bottom of feed ramp and tail in MAG). 

I did collect most of the spent cases.  I thought the ones that fired looked like light hits on the primer. The ones that required 2 or 3 strikes showed more damage to the primer (repeated strikes I guess). All hits were centered in the primer and looked like good clean round hits (not as deep as might expect). 

ANYWAY, it is on it's way back to TAURUS as of this AM (TAURUS sent a work number and a FREE Shipping Label for FEDEX).  By The Way, can you believe FEDEX quoted $68 to ship it before I got the FREE Label.  

I was amazed TAURUS sent a shipping label because their web site spells out customer ships IN and they ship BACK. 

By the way, I had called Customer Service an waited a good while (last time I called got a connected to a person quickly).  I kept waiting, but went on the web site to CHAT.  The CHAT Rep came on quickly and I explained the situation.

He sent work number on CHAT and E Mailed the Shipping Label.

I WAS AMAZED. Be MORE AMAZED if they fix it. ????

I took a lot of good pictures of the gun's innards, and the MAGs to show the slope of rounds in the MAGs. Just  can't post anything on this site as not up to using their procedures. SAD.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate to hear that, though I wish I could say I was surprised.   The best performing Taurus designs I've heard are the PT92 and the PT111 G2.   

As to the shipping cost, about 10-15 years ago the carriers implemented a policy that handguns must go next day air, thus the premium cost.  FFLs can still use USPS to ship handguns more reasonably, but A) it's only for FFL-to-FFL and B ) It's USPS  :(

• Like 2
On 1/2/2019 at 10:16 PM, chances R said:

No surprise to me; same old Taurus.  Looking for an inexpensive pistol go with the SCCY.  Lifetime warranty no matter who made the purchase.

Don't agree with the SCCY part but will agree that it's the same old Taurus. If you want to be cheap I think the best bang for your buck is the Ruger EC9S, 250.00 and I would say much better that Taurus or SCCY.

Repeat this from a previous POST I made.

ANYWAY, it is on it's way back to TAURUS as of this AM (TAURUS sent a work number and a FREE Shipping Label for FEDEX).  By The Way, can you believe FEDEX quoted $68 to ship it before I got the FREE Label.  

I was amazed TAURUS sent a shipping label because their web site spells out customer ships IN and they ship BACK. 

New INFO: 

I received notice they got the gun a couple days after I sent it (FED X) and I got the usual 12 week prediction. See how that goes.

I made a service check on website yesterday, Jan 15, and that showed not being serviced yet.  

One other thing not related to the gun is the REBATE of $35. I made a check on that (filled out form and did get an answer back from that via E Mail).

In the meantime I made a phone call to the number for checking the rebate.  Answer by phone was "They got the online request and so far have not received the Mailed In Form".

I MAILED it Dec 24, I realize Holidays involved, and they said it can take 15 days to get to the folks doing the rebate. I think some other company handling the rebates, that said, I sent to the address listed for the snail mail forms, seems ridiculous they have not received the Snail Mail forms.

PS:  It did say could take 6 weeks to get the rebate (gift card).   

Cheap (maybe say Low priced) guns can have issues (probably more so that others, but I also get the idea there are often issues with other guns. An example - buddy bought the S&W 22 rifle (looks like an assault gun - don't know the model). It was shooting erratic (accuracy). he noticed no rifling in the last 3 inches of the barrel.  S&W paid for shipping it in and fixed it (new barrel I assume).  Just saying - stuff happens.

No big deal -- I am just not into spending on high priced guns (guns and shooting are a passing phase Ia m enjoying the past 2 years at my age of 80 years).  

My reasoning on The Taurus Spectrum,  was away out of the Hi-Point 380 as Smky Mtn Guns traded.  The Spectrum at $169.99 and get a $35 rebate, so about  $135 (add tax and background).

Smoky Mtn Guns took my Hi-Point 380 in trade for $75. I didn't think anyone would as Bud's Salesmen indicated they probably would not, I did not talk to the manger about a trade, so Bud's might have, but nothing there I wanted in the $135 price range as the Spectrum at Smky Mtn Guns was.  

Assume TAURUS will fix it ( HOPE) and if not fixed or even if they do fix, I might do a trade on it later or I might keep it. I am not crazy about a 380 anyway (the AMMO Price makes it only good for pocket carry since it is a small gun  and a little target fun once in awhile). 

Hopefully, if I trade it and "IF" I get $100, I would only be out another $35 from cost ($170 minus the rebate). Admit it's a BIG "IF" on the $100 trade, GROAN.  I would probably get more use out of another 22LR (can afford to shoot) or perhaps the SCCY 9MM or Ruger small 9MM, spend another $100  plus tax and background.  

Gun hobby is cheaper than some hobbies and more than some others. LOL Anyway, Ia m about settled on guns (and doubt I would get much more involved than I am now).  

They are cheap guns, I don't see a reason to sugar coat it. I realize that not everyone has a ton of extra cash to spend on high quality firearms I just hate seeing people buy crap guns when there is a wealth of knowledge online that will help point you in the right direction. If you are looking at the 250.00 range seriously take a look at the EC9S From Ruger, I think it's a solid option in that price range. I work part time selling guns so I get a first hand look and how bad some of these are, we probably send 3 or so Taurus guns out a week for repairs, Remington has gone to crap too.

If your looking for an inexpensive 380 DA you need to look no further than a Bersa Thunder THUN380DT from Buds at a price of $246.00. All of the Bersa Thunders have 5 star ratings and I own 2 and never have issues with them at the range and they will eat just about any brand 380 ammo........JMHO

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

If your looking for an inexpensive 380 DA you need to look no further than a Bersa Thunder THUN380DT from Buds at a price of $246.00. All of the Bersa Thunders have 5 star ratings and I own 2 and never have issues with them at the range and they will eat just about any brand 380 ammo........JMHO

I picked up a used Bersa Thunder about 3 years ago. Got the gun and 3 boxes of FMJ for $225. The previous owner only shot 1 50 round box before I got it. I must say it's been flawless so far.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Tuffus said:

I picked up a used Bersa Thunder about 3 years ago. Got the gun and 3 boxes of FMJ for $225. The previous owner only shot 1 50 round box before I got it. I must say it's been flawless so far.

Yep, like I been saying all along. For the money, it's had to beat a Bersa firearm.  

• Like 1
On 1/2/2019 at 10:16 PM, chances R said:

No surprise to me; same old Taurus.  Looking for an inexpensive pistol go with the SCCY.  Lifetime warranty no matter who made the purchase.

I will say it again, SCCY.  I have gifted several of these guns and several friends also have purchased on my recommendation.  9mm, 10+1 cap. Lifetime warranty, made in US.  Have bought mine for $200 out the door.  It is not a range gun, but for SD, good size and reliable.

7 hours ago, hipower said:

bersaguy and tuffus are spot on about the Bersa guns. I've not personally owned one, but shot a few. Nice, accurate, and reasonably priced...But...

I'm still a Shield fan. They fit me perfectly, and that's most important to me.

I like the Shield too but don't own one, just purchased a Sig p365 for pocket carry. Shot it for the first time yesterday. 100 rounds with no hiccups. I like it a lot after the first trial. I'll be shooting more fmj and then hollow points  before I will actually carry it though.

Spectrum arrived at TAURUS, Jan 4, 2019. Got usual MSG of approx 12 weeks for repair.

Repair Status check so far after 17 days is -  RECEIVED. 🤔

Not like I need it badly, but I am disappointed with it.

I am aware of all the bad talk about TAURUS (and other low priced guns) and at same time see a lot of good reviews even on the Spectrum. Also, I have had good luck with my Millennium G2 and would probably buy the newer model of that if needed a new one.  

I like it and might  keep it if it shoots, hopefully trade it if it does not (probably for a 22LR pistol or maybe a mini 9MM).

So, see how it goes -- not that crazy about 380's anyway. I am not crazy about MINI's either, just thought might be a time want to carry a pocket gun. And was a chance to get rid of the Hi-Point I didn't want or need with a small outlay on the trade. Provided I get the refund of $35 and that has not happened so far.

I am not a big gun enthusiast that needs or wants or trades for every gun on the market. I just like to shoot 22s (target mostly) and have one Carry Gun (only shoot it for practice (sort of defense practice, not formal training). Considering the MINI for possible pocket carry at times (would shoot some if I had a one).    

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your inquiry. Your rebate is valid for fulfillment.

Per the offer terms and conditions, please allow 6- 8 weeks for the receipt of the Taurus Prepaid Visa card.

Sincerely, Taurus Rebate Customer Service

😀  Looks like at least gonna get the rebate ($35). 

PS: Now if the gun will shoot when I get it back (if I get it back).

They have had it since Jan 4, last time I checked status, it was It has been Received. Not worked on yet - original estimate was up to 12 weeks after received, so see what happens.  

Edited by PAULSHOOT
corrected language.

One more thing -- removing the firing pin. Found a U-Tube a guy made Jan 17th that shows him doing it. Production of the video leaves a lot to be desired, some focus problems on close ups and material out of view at times, and it is long. It is long as he said, cause I am going to show every step. (I think to show the difficulty).  

That said, I give the guy credit for doing it as it is adequate to show the method and the difficulty.

It was nice of him to do it AGAIN as he had done it once before and decided to take the time (time is like 35 MIN) to do it again just for the purpose of informing others.  

Apparently , this forum does not allow Copy and Paste the U-Tube Link here.

Guess, if any interest you will have to search U-Tube for Taurus Spectrum. There are 3 on firing pin removal: 

1) One of those does not even know where the firing pin is, he is calling the Firing pin Retainer Rod that holds the spring the firing pin. Not laughing at him, just saying.

2) Another is a guy discussing the problems and difficulty he had removing his firing pin (it is informative). He was not willing to do it again to make a U-tube, but wanted everyone to know the problems with three springs and a small pin when you remove the block to get to the firing pin.

3) The third one is the guy who actually does it on his U-Tube. It starts with  with a picture of his hands holding the gun showing the handle  with  NO MAG and a cream colored towel.

PS: I am thinking due to the scratchy feeling in the trigger take up that is due (my opinion) to the firing pin friction in the block as it is being pulled back by the trigger, I wonder if you had the firing pin out, could it be cleaned up and maybe sanded down a bit to make it slide easier in the block?

Just a thought that I may try if TAURUS does not repair it. Every gun can't be like mine (many U_tubes firing OK).    

Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • 1 month later...

TAURUS reported status on my Spectrum as Repaired, scheduled to pick it up Thursday, March 7, at FedX.  They received Jan 4, 2019.

So beat the projected 12 weeks for return (assuming it makes it from Memphis to my FedX).  

Hopefully, get a chance to see if it will Fire every trigger pull or Fail to Fire requiring extra trigger pulls - double action. Failed to Fire probably  30% to 40% of the time when I first got it for 52 round test.