TAURUS SPECTRUM 380 - Picked Up De 23 (Traded Hi-Point)

PAULSHOOT

12 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

TAURUS reported status on my Spectrum as Repaired, scheduled to pick it up Thursday, March 7, at FedX.  They received Jan 4, 2019.

So beat the projected 12 weeks for return (assuming it makes it from Memphis to my FedX).  

Hopefully, get a chance to see if it will Fire every trigger pull or Fail to Fire requiring extra trigger pulls - double action. Failed to Fire probably  30% to 40% of the time when I first got it for 52 round test.  

Sounds like a great gun. Good luck with it.

7 hours ago, WFM said:

I read American Riflemans review on the Spectrum and they didn't give it a great review. Hopefully your experience will be better.

That's odd.   I've never read a bad review in an NRA publication. 

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

That's odd.   I've never read a bad review in an NRA publication. 

That's odd. I've read many poor reviews in American Rifleman through the many years I've been receiving it.

Edited by WFM

I tested "repaired" Spectrum at BUD'S Range (guest of a member) Thursday after picking it up at FedX about 11AM. 

Much better than before as ran 68 rounds (mix of Browning and Blazer AMMO) thru it with two Fail To Fire on first trigger pull, second trigger pull fired the round.

So, it's better than the 30 to 40% Fail to Fire I had with the first 52 rounds shortly after I bought it late Dec 2018.

PS: Summary

I had 2 Fail to Feed in the original 52 round test. I had none the latest 68 round test.

I had multiple Fail to Fire (say 30 to 40% of rounds Fail to Fire on the first 52 rounds that required 2 or more trigger pulls to get a fire). I had 2 of 68 rounds on Thursday test that fired the second trigger pull.

I had a couple Fail to Lock Back on empty MAG first 52 rounds. I had a couple F to LB on the 68 round test.

The trigger pull remains scratchy (I assume not addressed and think characteristic of this gun. That said I am fairly accurate with it for my ability and what it is (not a target gun - just designed as a pocket carry small frame gun).  

So, it is partially 'repaired' and I appreciate their effort. Also, I can understand they are not going to run hundreds of rounds thru the gun to test it to determine there are NO PROBLEMS.

PSS: Warranty Repair

Dear Customer,

Your firearm has been repaired under our Lifetime Repair Policy (I add, warranty was only a year when I bought it).  Thank you for being a Taurus Owner. Sincerely, Customer Service.

Resolution Area of Concern  

Firing Pin      NPF  (I add, I think NPF means Not Part Failure) 

Hammer Spring    NPF

Trigger   NPF

Barrel Feed ramp    Adjusted

Firing Pin Spring     Replaced 

Their final test was 12 rounds of Speer Gold Dot  380 90 GR FMJ

Edited by PAULSHOOT

I know I'm harping on your spectrum but get rid of it. Continued issues after " repairs" and Two FTF again.... sure it went off the second time but that's nothing to be proud of. I know you spoke of getting the hi point, I would trust that thing over the Taurus. LCP's are really cheap now, that would be an upgrade and If you can spend 250.00 get the Ruger EC9S. 

• Like 1

The saga continues.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT -  TAURUS Spectrum 380

I just got back from TAURUS as "repaired" on Mar 7 for mainly a Fail to Fire. That fix seems pretty good (still had 2 Fail to Fire on first test THU, Mar 7) in like near 100 rounds (just realized it was 68 round test, not that it matters). 

HOWEVER, THU, Mar 14, had many many Fail to Feed (nearly every round). That after having not one Fail to Feed at BUD's Range last THU. 

The bullet lodges head first and level into the feed ramp (puts a gouge in the front of the bullet just above the point of the bullet). It is also still in the MAG, found can rack the slide back  a fraction and it loads.

So, it's shoot, rack, shoot, rack, shoot - etc.etc. GROAN

It did load on maybe 5 of 20 rounds.

Mostly good advice on here - get rid of it. 🤔 I really don't need it (don't care for 380s), just bought it cause of wanting to get rid of the High Point 380 and the deal of trading the Hi Point for a $135 gun - was $169,99 minus a $35 rebate).

😍 IT IS a CUTE Little Thing (LOL), has good ergonomics and thought I might have a use for a Pocket Carry some day (doubtful) despite more expensive AMMO. It is kind of fun to shoot (would be nice if it all worked every time).  

Anyway, I might mess with it awhile by contacting Taurus again, or adjust the Feed Ramp (thinking of filing a sort of u-shape at bottom of the ramp - might loose the warranty on that)  or open the lip on the MAG.

One guy bent his MAG opening to allow the bullets to be sloped up more and solved his problem. That said, my first round appears to set at a good angle, the subsequent ones set in the MAG to level, but would think they would get angled up when they move to the first position.  

PS: DANG Hard to Understand why a gun would NO Fail to Feed and a week later Fail to Feed say 80% of the time and just rack it a slight amount and the round loads OK.

Shoot, Rack Shoot, Rack ain't good, it is kind of like a bolt action self defense gun. LOL   

Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • Haha 1

My friend says -- get rid of it unless you want some gunsmith'ing experience LOL

I am getting some enjoyment messing with it (gunsmith'ing), gonna end that at some point. 

I took it to the range March 17th. About the same experience as March 14th (Fail to Feed). However, what I was calling Fail to Feed cause next round is not getting into the chamber is now a considered a Lock Slide Back problem.  

Slide Locks Back after a round is fired (say 40% or 50% of the time). Should have though about that  Mar 14th (ain't a gunsmith yet) when discovered could load the next round by Racking the Slide (not really a round jammed in someplace). More like when you have the side Locked Back and install a new MAG with AMMO and  Rack the Slide to load the first round. 

Took a lot of pictures of the gun after failures, but did not have sense enough (ain't a gunsmith yet) to see if the Lock Slide Lever was in  the UP position.  So, I am gonna go to the range one more time and check that. If it is the lever moving UP and Locking the Slide Back (what else could it be), I am going to secure the lever in the down position, and see if the gun will run.  

HOPEFULLY, I will then know what is going on and if that (Lock Slide Back) is the problem and the only problem - send it back to TAURUS again. 

IN THE MEANTIME, I have been studying the gun (learning gunsmith'ing) and had a 'Chat" with TAURUS today. I asked, "What holds the Lock Back Lever down when shooting." Answer , "A spring." 

BY THE WAY - during CHAT - they said send it in, it is lifetime warranty and they will send shipping label.

I do not see any spring in that area or where one could be. My lever is free to move (no spring action on the lever). EX: Take slide off and hold the frame upright the lever is down, turn frame upside down and the lever moves up to the Lock Back position (no spring holding it down). Gravity should hold it down. 

That said, I don't know why it ran 68 rounds with no Fail to Feed or no Lock Back Slide when shooting with AMMO in the MAG on Mar 7, then suddenly Mar 14th, this developed?  If there was a spring to hold the lever down -- there is not one now, maybe it fell out.

AND, I don't know how the lever would move up to Lock Slide Back when shooting with frame and gun upright? Maybe the recoil causes it to jump up. 

I am gonna verify the Lever is Locking Slide Back or that it does not do that next time I shoot it.  I do know that is the symptom -- Fire a round, Slide Locks Back, take MAG out and there sets the bullet in the Mag, put the Mag back in or don't take MAG out and Rack the Slide to release it. The slide goes forward and loads that round. 

Determined today (Mar 20th) that it is a Slide Lock Back while shooting problem.

It took 10 rounds (7 in one mag and 3 in the next MAG before it locked back after firing 10 rounds OK). 

This time I had sense enough to look at the Lock Back Lever and it was engaged. Apparently recoil jumps it to the Lock back position (just a matter of at 1/16 inch move UP will lock it). 

I put a little tape over the Lever to hold it down and ran the next 13 rounds (two MAGS) with no failures.

The tape barely covered the Lever, so it locked back on the empty MAGS (that be two MAGS worth),

Certainly there is not a spring holding the Lever down. I wish I had a breakdown to see how the spring is supposed to be installed. TAURUS said a spring holds it down. 

IT WILL be going back to TAURUS (thanks for warranties). CHAT with them tomorrow (21st). 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATE. I might add TAURUS CHAT (Web Site CHAT) has been very productive and encouraging responses. Disappointed in my gun, but will like it if all gets fixed. 

I finally made the decision to send the Spectrum 380 back to TAURUS for the Slide Lock Back during shooting problem. They received it April 2 with usual statement up to 12 weeks for return. Last time it was 8 weeks. 

It took me awhile to determine that it was a Slide Lock back (with the slide lock back Lever moving up to cause the Lock Back while shooting), I at first was calling it a Fail To Feed. That is a long story and want go into all that, but let's say due to my lack of Gun Smith Skills LOL. 

Anyway, I thought it happened because the bullet rising in the MAG was contacting the inner TAB (the one the Follower pushes up to cause a Lock Back on an empty MAG). There is a very close clearance there I was able to determine with the slide off and slowly pushing a loaded MAG up into the handle (simulate a rising bullet in the MAG). 

A bullet set in the rear of the MAG does clear the TAB. but one that is slightly FWD (say 1/8 inch) of the rear of the MAG will hit the Inner Tab and push the Lock Back Lever UP. 

Then the last time I shot it before sending it in -- I had a Lock Back after firing the 1st and 4th round with both the 6 and 7 RD MAGS that come with the gun. In each case I looked at the bullet in the MAG after the Lock Back and it was at the rear of the MAG. 

So, that shot down my theory that the upcoming bullet had to be a bit (say 1/8 inch FWD) of the rear of the MAG to hit the Inner TAB.  

A new thought is the Lever has very little spring tension, you can see a spring, but cannot see if it is attached to the Lever to hold it down until either you or the Flower push the Lever UP. 

Perhaps the spring is broken or came loose because the gun fires OK if you tape the edge of the Lever to the frame. It does not take much pressure to keep it down. 

So, why does it come up when firing if not pushed up by a rising bullet in the MAG -- maybe just recoil vibration or something. 

Anyway, it was sent back. I MIGHT ADD --- the Fail To Fire it was originally sent back for a FIX seems to be fixed. I did have 2 Fail To Fires (fired second trigger pull) with about 100 rounds sent down range.

The Spectrum saga continues.  WEIRD

I just got it back from TAURUS as "repaired" for a Fail to Fire on Mar7. That fix seems pretty good (still had 2 Fail to Fire on first test THU, Mar 7 in like 68 round test, not that it matters). 

HOWEVER, THU, Mar 14, had many many Fail to Feed (nearly every round). That after having not one Fail to Feed at BUD's Range last THU. 

At times the bullet lodges head first and level into the bottom of feed ramp (puts a gouge in the front of the bullet just above the point of the bullet). At other times it is like the Slide Locked Back, bullet is still in the MAG. So, found can rack the slide back  a fraction and it loads.

So, it's shoot, rack, shoot, rack, shoot - etc.etc. GROAN

Mostly good advice on here - get rid of it. 🤔 I really don't need it (don't care for 380s), just bought it cause of wanting to get rid of the High Point 380 and the deal of trading the Hi Point for a $135 gun - Spectrum was $169.99 minus a $35 rebate.

😍 IT IS a CUTE Little Thing (LOL), has good ergonomics and thought I might have a use for a Pocket Carry some day (doubtful) despite more expensive AMMO. It is kind of fun to shoot (would be nice if it all worked every time).  

Anyway, I might mess with it awhile by contacting Taurus again, or adjust the Feed Ramp (thinking of filing a sort of u-shape at bottom of the ramp - might loose the warranty on that)  or open the lip on the MAG.

One guy bent his MAG opening to allow the bullets to be sloped up more and solved his problem. That said, my first round appears to set at a good angle, the subsequent ones set in the MAG to level, but would think they would get angled up when they move to the first position.  

PS: DANG Hard to Understand why a gun would NO Fail to Feed and a week later Fail to Feed say 80% of the time and just rack it a slight amount and the round loads OK.

Shoot, Rack Shoot, Rack ain't good, it is kind of like a bolt action self defense gun. LOL   

UPDATE. I might add TAURUS CHAT (Web Site CHAT) has been very productive and encouraging responses. Disappointed in my gun, but will like it if all gets fixed. 

I finally made the decision to send the Spectrum 380 back to TAURUS for the Slide Lock Back during shooting problem. They received it April 2 with usual statement up to 12 weeks for return. Last time it was 8 weeks. 

It took me awhile to determine that it was a Slide Lock back (with the slide lock back Lever moving up to cause the Lock Back while shooting), I at first was calling it a Fail To Feed as I named it in above post (it was a couple times then).

My error there is a long story and want go into all that, but let's say due to my lack of Gun Smith Skills LOL. 

Anyway, I thought the Slide Lock Back happened because the bullet rising in the MAG was contacting the inner TAB (the one the Follower pushes up to cause a Lock Back on an empty MAG). There is a very close clearance there that I was able to determine with the slide off and slowly pushing a loaded MAG up into the handle (simulate a rising bullet in the MAG). 

A bullet set in the rear of the MAG does clear the TAB. but one that is slightly FWD (say 1/8 inch) of the rear of the MAG will hit the Inner Tab and push the Lock Back Lever UP. 

Then the last time I shot it before sending it in -- I had a Lock Back after firing the 1st and 4th round with both the 6 and 7 RD MAGS that come with the gun. In each case I looked at the bullet in the MAG after the Lock Back and it was at the rear of the MAG. 

So, that shot down my theory that the upcoming bullet had to be a bit (say 1/8 inch FWD) of the rear of the MAG to hit the Inner TAB.  

A new thought is the Lever has very little spring tension, you can see a spring, but cannot see if it is attached to the Lever to hold it down until either you or the Flower push the Lever UP. 

Perhaps the spring is broken or came loose because the gun fires OK if you tape the edge of the Lever to the frame. It does not take much pressure to keep it down. 

So, why does it come up when firing if not pushed up by a rising bullet in the MAG -- maybe just recoil vibration or something. 

Anyway, it was sent back. I MIGHT ADD --- the Fail To Fire it was originally sent back for on JAN 4  seems to be fixed. I did have 2 Fail To Fires (fired second trigger pull) with about 130 rounds sent down range since receiving it back on MAR 7. I shot 68 rounds that day (2 Fail to Fire) and at least  another 68 rounds investigating the Slide Lock Back problem with NO Fail To Fire.  

• 4 weeks later...

Latest on Spectrum Repair. BTW, I have not shot it since got it back May 2. 

TAURUS received gun Apr 4 to address a Slide Lock Back problem during operation. I received the gun back (FED X) May 2 and had a MSG from FED X on May 1 that someone had to be home in afternoon to Sign For The Package.  

Decent time on this fix (they received April 4 and got it back May 2).

One aggravation, I looked on web site for status and saw repaired, did not say shipped. I did not get an E Mail from TAURUS saying it was shipped. So, first indication I got was from FED X on May 1. Also, the last time the gun was held at Sevierville FED X. I stopped by there early AM to see if I could pick it up and not worry about being home this afternoon. I was told they cannot hold guns there, that it has to be at Knoxville Fed X (her computer said it was in Knoxville and had not left there at that time.  BTW, last time it was shipped to Sevierville and I went there to pick it up. ??? I got home 20 minutes before Fed X showed up. So, it worked -- otherwise I would have had to make a trip to Fed X in Knoxville (say 30 miles one way).  

My final thoughts when I sent it in was that the Side Catch Spring was broke or not connected properly. I see they replaced that spring. I am not sure why they got into the firing pin as I considered that "fixed" from the first time I sent it in for Fail to Fire (I did have 2 Fail To Fire that required an extra trigger pull to get the round off out of like 100 plus rounds). Anyway, they seemed to have replaced stuff in the firing pin mechanism again. 

What they did:
Side catch Spring  Replaced Existing  --- It does seem to have a working spring now (should hold the Lock back lever down during operation). Would be interesting to know if the spring broke or was just disconnected from the lever??  

Feed Ramp No Problem Found --- 

Not sure why any of this was done??? as seemed to be firing OK. 
Firing Pin Replaced Existing 
Firing Pin Return Spring Replaced Existing
Firing Pin Spring Replaced Existing
Recoil Spring Replaced Existing 

They Fired 13 Rounds American eagle   380 95GR FMJ as Final Test.
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Satisfied with TAURUS's Effort and basically I am satisfied with the Spectrum since they returned it (for what it is - a small 380, more costly AMMO, and with somewhat of a reliability question if you want a Pocket carry gun). .  

TAURUS Service certainly did not object to taking it back twice (their expenses on shipping, etc.) and working the gun (described in previous posts I made). 

I say "for what it is - a small 380" meaning I don't have much use for 380s mostly because of cost of AMMO VS say 9MM. 

The gun is performing regards to previous issues based on say 150 rounds since last return on to me on May 2.  NO Fail to Fire and NO Slide Lock Back during operation. 

I did have One JAM similar to others where the bullet lodged against the bottom of the Feed Ramp and held their by the Slide when I released the slide on a FULL MAG using the Lock Back Lever VS Racking the Slide. (NOTE: it was only the one time after several MAGS and NOTE the point of contact for the projectile with the feed ramp was at a point just below the very point of the bullet).  

One would think a bullet contacting the feed ramp at that point would feed on up into the ramp. I THINK the bottom of the feed ramp being so flat and sharp allows a bullet coming in at say a flat angel to allow the. SO, I modified the bottom of the Feed Ramp by filing a slight "U" into the ramp as viewed from the top. The "U" is the best way I can describe the appearance what I did (maybe say recessed and Very Little recessed "U").  I think that bit of recess would keep the bullet from catching the ramp as it does with a flat edge on the ramp.

Anyway, so far with only a few MAGS ran, no similar JAMS (does not mean it is fixed). 

Also, last time out shot 5 MAGS worth and two of them did NOT Result in Fail of the Slide to Lock Back on Empty MAG. Today it did Lock Back on Empty MAG.

I do like the little 380 and have had some fun with it EXCEPT it is a 380 and not sure would trust it as a pocket Carry (reliability wise). Take a lot more rounds of pure operation for me to think that.  

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

A clear understanding of that sure would have saved someone a lot of typing. :)

They are hit or miss. I for one appreciate what he has put out about the Spectrum. You are free to to not read and move along.

1 hour ago, Moped said:

They are hit or miss. I for one appreciate what he has put out about the Spectrum. You are free to to not read and move along.

I looked through the whole thread; so I earned the privilege of commenting.

I just laughed out loud when I read the first comment that with very few words covered what the OP discovered. :cheers:

6 hours ago, Moped said:

That's what I try to explain to people when they come in to buy them. It's truly a roll of the dice on how yours will turn out.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, felinesNfreedom said:

That's what I try to explain to people when they come in to buy them. It's truly a roll of the dice on how yours will turn out.

Actually, I’ve had two of the little PT111 G2s and both have been excellent pistols.  I also bought a 627 .357, that I really like as well. Fit and finish isn’t a S&W, but I paid half of what I would have paid for a 686. I’m happy with it.  I also have a .44mag in lay-a-way right now too.