PAULSHOOT

TAURUS SPECTRUM 380 - Picked Up De 23 (Traded Hi-Point)

12 hours ago, PAULSHOOT said:

TAURUS reported status on my Spectrum as Repaired, scheduled to pick it up Thursday, March 7, at FedX.  They received Jan 4, 2019.

So beat the projected 12 weeks for return (assuming it makes it from Memphis to my FedX).  

Hopefully, get a chance to see if it will Fire every trigger pull or Fail to Fire requiring extra trigger pulls - double action. Failed to Fire probably  30% to 40% of the time when I first got it for 52 round test.  

Sounds like a great gun. Good luck with it.

I read American Riflemans review on the Spectrum and they didn't give it a great review. Hopefully your experience will be better.

7 hours ago, WFM said:

I read American Riflemans review on the Spectrum and they didn't give it a great review. Hopefully your experience will be better.

That's odd.   I've never read a bad review in an NRA publication. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

What's an NRA? 

:stalk:

4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

That's odd. I've read many poor reviews in American Rifleman through the many years I've been receiving it.

Edited by WFM

I tested "repaired" Spectrum at BUD'S Range (guest of a member) Thursday after picking it up at FedX about 11AM. 

Much better than before as ran 68 rounds (mix of Browning and Blazer AMMO) thru it with two Fail To Fire on first trigger pull, second trigger pull fired the round.

So, it's better than the 30 to 40% Fail to Fire I had with the first 52 rounds shortly after I bought it late Dec 2018.

PS: Summary

I had 2 Fail to Feed in the original 52 round test. I had none the latest 68 round test.

I had multiple Fail to Fire (say 30 to 40% of rounds Fail to Fire on the first 52 rounds that required 2 or more trigger pulls to get a fire). I had 2 of 68 rounds on Thursday test that fired the second trigger pull.

I had a couple Fail to Lock Back on empty MAG first 52 rounds. I had a couple F to LB on the 68 round test.

The trigger pull remains scratchy (I assume not addressed and think characteristic of this gun. That said I am fairly accurate with it for my ability and what it is (not a target gun - just designed as a pocket carry small frame gun).  

So, it is partially 'repaired' and I appreciate their effort. Also, I can understand they are not going to run hundreds of rounds thru the gun to test it to determine there are NO PROBLEMS.

PSS: Warranty Repair

Dear Customer,

Your firearm has been repaired under our Lifetime Repair Policy (I add, warranty was only a year when I bought it).  Thank you for being a Taurus Owner. Sincerely, Customer Service.

Resolution Area of Concern  

Firing Pin      NPF  (I add, I think NPF means Not Part Failure) 

Hammer Spring    NPF

Trigger   NPF

Barrel Feed ramp    Adjusted

Firing Pin Spring     Replaced 

Their final test was 12 rounds of Speer Gold Dot  380 90 GR FMJ

Edited by PAULSHOOT

I know I'm harping on your spectrum but get rid of it. Continued issues after " repairs" and Two FTF again.... sure it went off the second time but that's nothing to be proud of. I know you spoke of getting the hi point, I would trust that thing over the Taurus. LCP's are really cheap now, that would be an upgrade and If you can spend 250.00 get the Ruger EC9S. 

• Like 1

The saga continues.

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT -  TAURUS Spectrum 380

I just got back from TAURUS as "repaired" on Mar 7 for mainly a Fail to Fire. That fix seems pretty good (still had 2 Fail to Fire on first test THU, Mar 7) in like near 100 rounds (just realized it was 68 round test, not that it matters). 

HOWEVER, THU, Mar 14, had many many Fail to Feed (nearly every round). That after having not one Fail to Feed at BUD's Range last THU. 

The bullet lodges head first and level into the feed ramp (puts a gouge in the front of the bullet just above the point of the bullet). It is also still in the MAG, found can rack the slide back  a fraction and it loads.

So, it's shoot, rack, shoot, rack, shoot - etc.etc. GROAN

It did load on maybe 5 of 20 rounds.

Mostly good advice on here - get rid of it. 🤔 I really don't need it (don't care for 380s), just bought it cause of wanting to get rid of the High Point 380 and the deal of trading the Hi Point for a $135 gun - was $169,99 minus a $35 rebate).

😍 IT IS a CUTE Little Thing (LOL), has good ergonomics and thought I might have a use for a Pocket Carry some day (doubtful) despite more expensive AMMO. It is kind of fun to shoot (would be nice if it all worked every time).  

Anyway, I might mess with it awhile by contacting Taurus again, or adjust the Feed Ramp (thinking of filing a sort of u-shape at bottom of the ramp - might loose the warranty on that)  or open the lip on the MAG.

One guy bent his MAG opening to allow the bullets to be sloped up more and solved his problem. That said, my first round appears to set at a good angle, the subsequent ones set in the MAG to level, but would think they would get angled up when they move to the first position.  

PS: DANG Hard to Understand why a gun would NO Fail to Feed and a week later Fail to Feed say 80% of the time and just rack it a slight amount and the round loads OK.

Shoot, Rack Shoot, Rack ain't good, it is kind of like a bolt action self defense gun. LOL   

Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • Haha 1

For goodness sake, melt down that thing before someone gets hurt. Sell a car or something and buy a decent gun... just my :2cents:.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

For goodness sake, melt down that thing before someone gets hurt. Sell a car or something and buy a decent gun... just my :2cents:.

My Guess is it will come to that. 🤣

• Like 1

My friend says -- get rid of it unless you want some gunsmith'ing experience LOL

I am getting some enjoyment messing with it (gunsmith'ing), gonna end that at some point. 

I took it to the range March 17th. About the same experience as March 14th (Fail to Feed). However, what I was calling Fail to Feed cause next round is not getting into the chamber is now a considered a Lock Slide Back problem.  

Slide Locks Back after a round is fired (say 40% or 50% of the time). Should have though about that  Mar 14th (ain't a gunsmith yet) when discovered could load the next round by Racking the Slide (not really a round jammed in someplace). More like when you have the side Locked Back and install a new MAG with AMMO and  Rack the Slide to load the first round. 

Took a lot of pictures of the gun after failures, but did not have sense enough (ain't a gunsmith yet) to see if the Lock Slide Lever was in  the UP position.  So, I am gonna go to the range one more time and check that. If it is the lever moving UP and Locking the Slide Back (what else could it be), I am going to secure the lever in the down position, and see if the gun will run.  

HOPEFULLY, I will then know what is going on and if that (Lock Slide Back) is the problem and the only problem - send it back to TAURUS again. 

IN THE MEANTIME, I have been studying the gun (learning gunsmith'ing) and had a 'Chat" with TAURUS today. I asked, "What holds the Lock Back Lever down when shooting." Answer , "A spring." 

BY THE WAY - during CHAT - they said send it in, it is lifetime warranty and they will send shipping label.

I do not see any spring in that area or where one could be. My lever is free to move (no spring action on the lever). EX: Take slide off and hold the frame upright the lever is down, turn frame upside down and the lever moves up to the Lock Back position (no spring holding it down). Gravity should hold it down. 

That said, I don't know why it ran 68 rounds with no Fail to Feed or no Lock Back Slide when shooting with AMMO in the MAG on Mar 7, then suddenly Mar 14th, this developed?  If there was a spring to hold the lever down -- there is not one now, maybe it fell out.

AND, I don't know how the lever would move up to Lock Slide Back when shooting with frame and gun upright? Maybe the recoil causes it to jump up. 

I am gonna verify the Lever is Locking Slide Back or that it does not do that next time I shoot it.  I do know that is the symptom -- Fire a round, Slide Locks Back, take MAG out and there sets the bullet in the Mag, put the Mag back in or don't take MAG out and Rack the Slide to release it. The slide goes forward and loads that round. 

Determined today (Mar 20th) that it is a Slide Lock Back while shooting problem.

It took 10 rounds (7 in one mag and 3 in the next MAG before it locked back after firing 10 rounds OK). 

This time I had sense enough to look at the Lock Back Lever and it was engaged. Apparently recoil jumps it to the Lock back position (just a matter of at 1/16 inch move UP will lock it). 

I put a little tape over the Lever to hold it down and ran the next 13 rounds (two MAGS) with no failures.

The tape barely covered the Lever, so it locked back on the empty MAGS (that be two MAGS worth),

Certainly there is not a spring holding the Lever down. I wish I had a breakdown to see how the spring is supposed to be installed. TAURUS said a spring holds it down. 

IT WILL be going back to TAURUS (thanks for warranties). CHAT with them tomorrow (21st). 

• Like 1