Grandfather's Gun Collection inherited

19_A_CPT

Finally received my grandfather's gun collection that had died in 1988. We had been promised a gun apiece since my grandmother died in 2006. When we went to take our pick, not knowing what the will actually said, the guns were to be split evenly between my mother and aunt. A quick rundown of the collection of guns that our grandfather had. Mind you, he died in 1988 and wasn't hunting for a few years before that. A big coon hunter and rabbit hunter, so most are oriented towards that.

1) Parker 16 gauge sxs shotgun (Great Grandfather's gun)

2)Remington Model 11 20 gauge with Vent Rib full barrel and extra plain cylinder barrel.

3)Remington Nylon 66 (Nickel/Black)

4)Ithaca M59 Saddle Gun .22

5)Colt 1903 .32 auto

6)HR 922 22 pistol

7)Iver Johnson Owlhead .38

8) Sharps Pepperbox 4B .32Short Rimfire

Some others to note that we did not receive.

1)Remington Derringer in .41Rimfire

2)Baker sxs shotgun (16 gauge)

3) another Remington M11 20 gauge

4) Stevens Scout 14-1/2  .22

5)Sturm Ruger 22 semi auto pistol

6) S&W 32 Short Break Action revolver

7) JC Higgins .22 bolt action

8) Old SS 4" barrel (about) blackpowder dueling pistol with England written on the barrel.

The top is what we ended up with. The bottom my aunt. I thought I did a pretty good job of picking the guns ;)

What say you >?

Without knowing the condition of the guns you might have scored with the Parker and Colt.  Remington 11’s are excellent Browing copies.   The Remington Nylon has a following as well but they are often beat to hell.  There are one or two things you should have let go to get the Ruger.

My opinion is as offered...doesn’t mean I know what I’m talking about.  It all depends on the condition.  If they have been taken care of you might have something in a couple them.

They had them laid out in pairs according to action type (double barrels, semi auto shotguns, .22) . The Ruger was in fine shape and my aunt said she could remember going to the river to shoot with it so i let her go with it. The nylon is in good shape. It was his go to when coon hunting . I will try and upload some pictures

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I'd have taken the Remington derringer in lieu of the Iver Johnson revolver, but overall it sounds like you have a nice gun collection. We'd like to see pictures if you are inclined to post them.

For whatever reason, the derringer was promised to my aunt and the Iver Johnson was promised to mom. The Parker double was promised to my brother (oldest grandson) . Those were the only stipulations other than picking from the pairs. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 19_A_CPT said:

The ones I get from family are the ones that I keep. 

Agreed.  Unlike most of the consumer crap sold today, firearms have inherent value. And as long as a firearm is in working order, it continues to be valuable as a tool.  Add to that the sentimental value of an inherited piece, and I'm keeping it.  Glad to pass on to the next generation a working piece of family history.