The New Glock 48 - Single Stack 10rd Glock 19-ish

TGO David

• Administrator

We've been talking about this for a few days over on the Shooters Nation Community (Facebook group).  I haven't seen it mentioned here yet.

Glock 48.  10rd, staggered or single stack, approximate in size to the Glock 19 but with a slightly longer slide.

48425112_10156771896460275_1311046081433

So it looks like it is .16" narrower and .08 shorter than a G19.  Is that enough of a savings in size to give up 5 rounds?  Single or stagger stack guns grips feel better to me than double stack grips to me.  It will be interesting to compare a 19 and 48 side by side.

1 minute ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Why "staggered or single stack?"   How could it be either or both?

Right now people are speculating on the G48.  The official stats have not been released.  Because of the width people are guessing that it will be either a single stack of a staggered stack but not a double stack.  I do not think the dimensions will be officially released until Shot Show.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Moped said:

What need does this address, that Glock is trying to fill? Not sure I get it's purpose, unless its a pistol for the more limited ammunition capacity states?

I'm torn on this. I work plain clothes and carry both the Glock 19 w/XC1 + RMR and Glock 43 w/TLR-6. Usually in the summer I carry the 43 a little more based on my build and style of dress. Width of firearms generally is my biggest problem given my style of dress. I could see a very narrow niche this could fill for me as I like the extra length and imagine shootablity to be slightly better than my 43. Capacity is kind of irrelevant as I carry +2 and +3 Taran Tactical mags in my 43. But I guess an extra round or two would be nice.  I don't know that this would solve any real problem that I cant work around with my 19 or 43 but I can see a very narrow use if I had one. Saying this I don't think I would buy one for the same reason I haven't bought a Glock 45/19x. I just can't justify the money for something I feel doesn't offer a substantial improvement over what I already have (G34,17,19,43). But if someone on here buys me one I would probably find a day or two in the year that it would be convenient to carry. 

So I guess in summary I'm just trying to say I don't think it's completely useless but also at the same time not very useful, lol.

Edited by cch2a
  • Like 1

What's so great about the P365? 

For me, such a pistol doesn't answer any of the needs I have.  I want a deep concealment piece.  The Ruger LCP does that for me.  I want a subcompact single stack.  The SA XDs .45 acp does that for me.  And I want a service sized pistol with lots of capacity, that doesn't pull my pants down round my ankles.  I have a FNH FNS and a Glock 17 Gen 2 (gave it to my wife along time ago) for that. 

I don't think I'm that much different than anyone else.  I just am not seeing the niche this new Glock and apparently this Sig are supposed to fill?

21 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

Their sales numbers, for one. I don't like them, either. But those and the S&W M&P 380 Shield EZ are hard to keep in stock.

I know it's all very personally subjective when looking at/buying a new pistol, especially a carry model.

But I just can't see the need for this new Glock. At all. So I agree with Steelharp.  Just an attempt to appeal to the market of Glock lovers with a somewhat smaller( very little smaller, at that) Glock carry piece.

As I said earlier, I don't like the feel of the P365 for me, and I find myself moving farther and farther away from Glocks. lol Never thought I'd say that.

The Shield EZ...maybe. I can see a use for it in people with had strength issues. Like my wife. Still considering that idea for her; but she still like the Smith 351 PD I bought her to replace the 416.

Heck, I might like the Shield EZ soon.

• Like 2

Well, this may be the Glock I have been wishing for for years--a 43 on roids or a 19 on slim-fast.  In other words, a flat, 4" single stack 9mm Glock.  Most of my carry is IWB and the 19 is chubby, often uncomfortably so.  The easiest non-pocket pistol I have ever carried IWB was a Kahr CW9, but Kahr triggers are hideous.  This appears to be slightly bigger, but similar.  If it really weighs < 21 ounces, that's even better.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
  • Administrator
8 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Why "staggered or single stack?"   How could it be either or both?

8 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Right now people are speculating on the G48.  The official stats have not been released.  Because of the width people are guessing that it will be either a single stack of a staggered stack but not a double stack.  I do not think the dimensions will be officially released until Shot Show.

^^^ This

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Steelharp said:

They're tired of the P365 kicking their butt. This ain't gonna fix it, as shown.

It's a shame they didn't consult with you first.  ;)

My bet is they'll sell a ton of these and the market will start to see a bunch of used P365s as Glock faithful move away from the Sigs they bought and back to this.

I guess the best attribute it has going is it's a slimmer gun that is easier to fight with given its bigger overall size over say a LCP.  It's definitely a gun of compromises. 

I don't know why this gun is messing my brain up, lol. Everytime I look at it I think "I wish Glock would do something exciting that wasn't this". I don't know what they could do though either to excite me.

5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

It's a shame they didn't consult with you first.  ;)

My bet is they'll sell a ton of these and the market will start to see a bunch of used P365s as Glock faithful move away from the Sigs they bought and back to this.

No one is a fickle as a gun owner.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

0.16” narrower isn’t insignificant. 

For a skinny guy like me, it could carry lighter and slimmer.  I don’t really have a problem with the 19. It’s been my chosen platform for a long time. 

But...

i’m going to reserve judgement.  It could feel significantly different in hand.  Slimmer might mean a little full better firing grip for some folks. And, that’s a good thing.  

• Like 3

I've carried a Glock 19 for nearly a decade and I still think they make one of the most reliable guns on the market. The Gen4 17 is one of my favorite guns I own. I'm obviously a fan. That being said, Glock stopped being innovative in the 90's. They are always trying to respond to a consumer request from 5 or 10 years ago. The request for a single stack 9mm became an internet meme before it became reality. I'm not convinced the G43 has been as successful as they hoped. It seems even some of the die hard Glock guys prefer the Shield. 

• Like 2