The New Glock 48 - Single Stack 10rd Glock 19-ish

TGO David

On 1/12/2019 at 10:04 AM, Steelharp said:

I remember a time not so long ago when people were saying disparaging things about Bill Ruger and his own belief that no one ever needed more than 10 rounds. Immediately after his passing, Ruger started making higher-capacity firearms. Was he right?

No.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
On 1/12/2019 at 8:04 AM, Steelharp said:

I remember a time not so long ago when people were saying disparaging things about Bill Ruger and his own belief that no one ever needed more than 10 rounds. Immediately after his passing, Ruger started making higher-capacity firearms. Was he right?

2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

No.

What deerslayer said. The user gets to determine “need” not some asshole from on high. And certainly not a politician. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

And yet, manufacturers are telling you 10 rounds are all you need, because that's what they're serving you..

:screwy:

I don’t think it’s the manufacturers saying that all is needed. I think it’s the market saying to the manufacturers that it’s what they are wanting because it’s what they are buying. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I don’t think it’s the manufacturers saying that all is needed. I think it’s the market saying to the manufacturers that it’s what they are wanting because it’s what they are buying. 

Are you sure thats right?   That seems awfully smart for companies in a capitalistic system. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Steelharp said:

And yet, manufacturers are telling you 10 rounds are all you need, because that's what they're serving you..

:screwy:

They are not telling you that. They are selling these guns because most people choose comfort over carrying a firearm with adequate capacity. Most people think they will hit with all 6-8 rounds and that guns are death rays. I hear it all the time at the gun bar " If you can't get it done with ( enter small number of rounds ) you don't need to carry a gun", F that. Most of these people don't actually train and shoot 50 rounds a year. Vent off :)

• Like 2

I was very skeptical when they announced this.  With the dimensions they were reporting It just did not seem like a big difference from the 19.  Boy was i wrong.  I went over to Royal Range and fondled a 48, 43X and a 19.  The 43X and the 48 have to be the best feeling glocks I have ever held.  The difference between the 48 and 19 were night and day.  I can see myself carrying a 43X or 48 because of the grip.  The 43X is really compact and closer to what I normally carry but the longer sight radius on the 48 is really nice.  

I also held a Sig P365 to compare.  It also felt really good in the hand but the grip is to short for my liking.  The rest of the gun felt really solid.

The 43X and 48 are the first Glocks I have actually been excited about.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, KahrMan said:

I was very skeptical when they announced this.  With the dimensions they were reporting It just did not seem like a big difference from the 19.  Boy was i wrong.  I went over to Royal Range and fondled a 48, 43X and a 19.  The 43X and the 48 have to be the best feeling glocks I have ever held.  The difference between the 48 and 19 were night and day.  I can see myself carrying a 43X or 48 because of the grip.  The 43X is really compact and closer to what I normally carry but the longer sight radius on the 48 is really nice.  

I also held a Sig P365 to compare.  It also felt really good in the hand but the grip is to short for my liking.  The rest of the gun felt really solid.

The 43X and 48 are the first Glocks I have actually been excited about.

How would you compare to a G26 for feel? 

• Administrator

I think the folks at Raven Concealment said it best about why the Glock 48 makes sense:

"The frames are wider, not what I in envisioned in a longer G43 for optimum concealment, and defeating the "Lego principle". Where short sight radius guns hurt because of the short length specifically when carried AIWB. (Legos wouldn't hurt as much when you step on them if they were the size of a cell phone)"

A lot of folks who are saying the idea is stupid probably don't and won't ever carry a gun appendix IWB or anywhere further frontward on the belt-line than three o'clock.  If you've carried AIWB or in front of the hip bone with a short slide, small frame gun, you have probably felt the Lego Principle at work as the firearm dug into you while you sat.

The longer slide makes perfect sense.  So does having your holster manufacturer cut your leather or kydex rig a little longer and wider than the gun to spread out the point(s) of contact it has with your flesh.

Food for thought.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, Fourtyfive said:

I’m not drinking the koolaid, about to order a Sig P320 X-Carry cause I like big butts; oops, I mean big mags...:stir:

The X-series grip modules are the only ones of the P320 family that would even remotely feel good to me. 

I tried a standard P320 and tried several different grip modules that were worked over by either myself or infinitely more skilled artisans with wood-burning tools.  None of them felt good.  All of them felt as ergonomic as a thick wooden axe handle made of plastic.  Namely, you could get your hand around it but that was it.  None of the other evolutionary improvements in handles that we've come to enjoy with firearms from other manufacturers.

I liken the P320's grip to the Apple earbud earphones.  Apple spent a ton of time coming up with a shape and size that was mathematically average enough that it would fit inside almost every ear on the planet.  But it's also average enough that it doesn't fit any of them great or comfortably.

Same for the P320 grip.  It's blah.

:)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TGO David said:

The X-series grip modules are the only ones of the P320 family that would even remotely feel good to me. 

I tried a standard P320 and tried several different grip modules that were worked over by either myself or infinitely more skilled artisans with wood-burning tools.  None of them felt good.  All of them felt as ergonomic as a thick wooden axe handle made of plastic.  Namely, you could get your hand around it but that was it.  None of the other evolutionary improvements in handles that we've come to enjoy with firearms from other manufacturers.

I liken the P320's grip to the Apple earbud earphones.  Apple spent a ton of time coming up with a shape and size that was mathematically average enough that it would fit inside almost every ear on the planet.  But it's also average enough that it doesn't fit any of them great or comfortably.

Same for the P320 grip.  It's blah.

:)

I have rather large hands so it seems to work for me; but that's why they make different flavors of ice cream!

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

I have rather large hands so it seems to work for me; but that's why they make different flavors of ice cream!

Agreed, but you chose the best of the currently available grips for the P320 too.  The X-Compact has my eye if the grip feels good.  I am still surprised that Magpul, Polymer 80, or some other big name in firearms plastics, hasn't already come out with a completely different grip module for the P320 chassis to slide into.

Seems like there's a good business opportunity for someone!

By the way, ice cream is a lousy grip material.  Just saying.  ;)

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

Agreed, but you chose the best of the currently available grips for the P320 too.  The X-Compact has my eye if the grip feels good.  I am still surprised that Magpul, Polymer 80, or some other big name in firearms plastics, hasn't already come out with a completely different grip module for the P320 chassis to slide into.

Seems like there's a good business opportunity for someone!

By the way, ice cream is a lousy grip material.  Just saying.  ;)

I would have to say if the P320 X-series grip was formed like a PPQ or HK with a little more ergonomics it would not hurt my feelings. I think the frames you wish for may not be so far away, but by the time they get them out of R&D and into production there is already a new next big thing.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 minute ago, Fourtyfive said:

I would have to say if the P320 X-series grip was formed like a PPQ or HK with a little more ergonomics it would not hurt my feelings. I think the frames you wish for may not be so far away, but by the time they get them out of R&D and into production there is already a new next big thing.

I think at least one of the two companies I mentioned might have already looked into a P320 grip module and might still do one.  That's really all that I can say about that.  :)

• Like 1
On 1/21/2019 at 8:32 PM, deerslayer said:

Fondled one today and it's noticeably thinner than a 19.  A local store wanted $529 for one with plain sights.  It's light and thin enough to even put in a belly band occasionally.  It checks a lot of boxes for my ideal carry gun.  I'll have one soon.  

Held both at my local shop today, the G43X is not for me but man I really liked the 48, and I'm not Glock fan. I may break down and get one of these, but would prefer all black. 

$449 for either at my local shop 

• Like 1