The New Glock 48 - Single Stack 10rd Glock 19-ish

TGO David

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, hipower said:

Interesting, I must admit. Like it better than the G43. But what's not to like about 5 more rounds?

Whether I'd give up my Shield for it is another matter. Would have to spend some time with them side by side first.

Also some very good information on the G48. In spite of some of my earlier comments, I can now see some justification for the 48 vs the 19. Would I buy one, probably not. But now have to fully agree With TGO David. I believe the G48, and the G43X will sell well.

Follow up to all my comments on the new G43x. I may have to remove foot from mouth for some of them.

I bought a G43x. I found a good price last Friday. Thought about for a few minutes. Looked at the Shield on my belt. Apologized to little Smith and brought it home. lol

I haven't shot it yet, but have been carrying it around the house and yard. I like the feel of it. Kept it on for a short gas run and to pick up my wife. Yes, it was a stupid move going out carrying an untested pistol...but hey...it's a Glock. I've cycled dummy rounds thru it with no issues.  Even a few live rounds from the mag to test it. No problems. So still a bit of a risk. I won't do it again until I run some hardball and some different HPs thru it

The "little" Glock just seems to fit my body a bit better. A well rounded waist that is. Anyway, after a couple of days with it, I'm very impressed. I think it rides better on my belts than the Shield. Seems to not poke into me in places where the Shield did.

I'm using the same holster, a leather belt side model, and find the G43x rides very comfortably in it. Even getting in and out of my car it feels good. I normally do a strong side, 3 o'clock position, which has given me some concern in the past. The grip just seems to be easier to get my hand on than that of the Shield. 

As most of you will know, the Shield grip is sort of long and flat. Where the G43x seems a bit shorter in length, and slightly more  rounded and easily grasped when pulling from the holster, at least for me. Just my thoughts on it.

I will give you my impressions on how it shoots and feels soon, probably next week. But if it performs like the other Glocks I have owned...well I just might have some Smiths to sell or trade on. But being as tight as I am, with current Shield prices, I might just keep them as well.

Maybe make the Shield a backup for the Glock??

Edited by hipower
  • Administrator

I'd keep the Shield.  That's what I did.  Prices for them on the primary market are low enough right now that folks expect you to give them away on the secondary market.  🙄

It's a good "mowing the yard" gun, or "washing the car", etc.

1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I'd keep the Shield.  That's what I did.  Prices for them on the primary market are low enough right now that folks expect you to give them away on the secondary market.  🙄

It's a good "mowing the yard" gun, or "washing the car", etc.

That's about the way I see it. I'm sure I will keep them both(9/45).

Showed a neighbor one when he asked for a recommendation on a first auto-loader to carry. He followed my advice to find one. Then came back to me and offered about half what current market is on one. 

Won't say I laughed at him, but I sure didn't go for it.

Interesting thread, especially since I'm going down this path with non Glocks.

First off, ever since I saw compact and C model designations and compared to their full size counter parts, compact? Really?

Best I can tell, compacts are slightly shorter in length and height. Unscientifically, overlayed a P01 and 75B, G17 to. G19.

Trickery, they are nigh identical, shedidng only a few ounces.

I also discovered sub compacts are only slightly smaller again, but it's the grip height vs. slide length that impacts concealment. I think width applies for more form fitting attire and hand ergonomics.

The issue I have with double stack subs is 2 fingers on what feels like a fat grip with flush mag, e.g. G26, Rami P,  P224.

The Glock and Sig don'tfeel quite right in my medium sized hands, add the mag extension for 3 fingers, better feel.

The other challenge is the shorter sight radius on an SC, learned that in a class.

And Glock jumps in with a compact, single stack.

Innovative? Not particularly, considering 1911 commanders are sold everyday in 9mm, KAHR is in the niche, and Germanic gun-makers have a history with the P1, P6/225, and P7/8

I entered the arena with a Walther CCP M2

(on sale at Smoky Mountain and they took my PK380 in on trade, $114.32 cash OTD)

Dimensionally it fits between my SDP and RAMI P with flush mag. It has similar weight to the RAMI. Insert the 14 round mag and the CCP and Rami are the same height.

To address width, the grips of a CCP and Rami P are about the same, it's the slide that is thinner and more svelte looking in comparison.

With the posts of prior, "not really a Glock shooter, but like this one," is good for Glock.

10+1 will get you through 80% of the 3-3-3 encounters, an extra single stack mag is usually easier to carry, and less weight in a shootable pistol is a good thing.

Add what you should expect with reliability = happy gun owner.

• Like 1

A.J. I pretty much agree with what you have written and will sum it up with this.

Size matters.

That's the key to this whole thread. Even the smallest changes in width, length, or girth seem to have an amazing amount of effect on how we react to a pistol of any size. 

While the physical dimensions are relatively similar between the compacts and subcompacts, it is just enough for individuals to appreciate in one fashion or another.

Take me for example. I've been a Shield fan-boy since the first time I held and fired one. Never wavered. Now here I am going gaga over the very slight differences between it and the G43X.

It's just those subtle differences that resonate with me...and likely is going to have me raving about, and changing to, the G43X for my EDC.

I do however, reserve the right to change my mind at the drop of a pin on this and everything else I might write here. lol

• Like 1