Encouraging Women in Self Defense and the Shooting Sports

As the female owner of AK Virtual Arms Training LLC Sevierville, TN, I get plenty of women coming to my business who are curious about firearms and firearms training.  In our first few months, it has become apparent that many newbies are reluctant to go to a live fire range for their first experience.  They may not want to admit it to you.  At my laser simulator range, we give the reluctant, nervous and timid a place to start that is warm, comfortable and fun to take their first steps toward being in charge of their own safety.  Often times, they have so much fun, they will WANT to go to a live-fire range and start shooting their first live-fire pistol!

The future of the 2nd Amendment depends on us bringing NEW shooters into shooting.   AK Virtual Arms Training LLC does that very well. 

In addition to our regular training, we have women's only training and host women's shooting groups through events, parties and fund-raisers. 

Use one of our gift certificates to give that special woman in your life the gift of confidence and self-defense through one of our classes or events.  And maybe, you will get a new shooting partner out of it!

PM me if you want more information on our "women's only" courses.

Gift Certificate with Void.jpg

Edited by AKVAT
  • Like 3

There was a woman killed by her ex boyfriend just last week that had an order of protection against him. I have thought for a long time that women need to get more involved in firearms and self defense. An order of protection is a piece of paper and will not stop a bullet so next best thing as far as I'm concerned is a trained armed woman defending herself and her children...........JMHO

• Like 3
On 12/27/2018 at 11:19 AM, bersaguy said:

There was a woman killed by her ex boyfriend just last week that had an order of protection against him. I have thought for a long time that women need to get more involved in firearms and self defense. An order of protection is a piece of paper and will not stop a bullet so next best thing as far as I'm concerned is a trained armed woman defending herself and her children...........JMHO

I hate to hear that. 

There is nothing that is more satisfying for me than to see the initial conflicted smile of a woman who has just realized she is more capable than she previously imagined.  It makes it all worth while!

• Like 2

Back before my wife passed away we together spent at least once a week at the range. When I met her she had never fired a gun of any kind and was just coming out of a very abuasive marriage of 17 years. She never spoke much abou it and I had to drag it out of her what she went through. She had an order of protection out against him after the divorce which he violated regularly. She would call the police but by the time they arrived he would be gone. He actually kicked her door in twice. The police arrested him those two times, slap on the wrist and he was out again. I had a small 25 caliber semi auto I taught her how to shoot 1st so she would at least have something she could keep at home and it would be better than nothing. I was impressed how quick she caught on to the little gun. At 3 yards she was able to to put 5 rounds in a coffee cup saucer size circle. I told her to just focus on center mass and shoot till the gun was empty if she ever had to use it.

She told me that knowing she had it and knowing she knew how to shoot it was the first night she actually was able to sleep and rest. As time went on I took her back to the range and moved her up to the 380's and she caught on very fast and I was impressed with her progress.

There did come a time that the 25 was needed but she never had to shoot him. He kicked in her front door on a Sunday morning about 9AM. She waited for him to enter the house as I told her to after she dialed 911. When the police arrived he was laying face down on the floor with his hands behind his back and she was sitting in a chair waiting for them to arrive. That was the last time he ever came back. He got 11/29 and 5 years probation and the judge told him if he violated probation he would serve every day of the 5 years.

We still went to the range a couple times a month till she passed away and she improved every trip. 

Like I said earlier, I think all women need to take a course and get trained with a hand gun and get a CCP to protect them selves and their children.  I wish you all the best in your endeavor to teach women how to defend themselves. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear of her passing, she sounds like a lady I would have enjoyed shooting with.  I bet that was a huge step forward for her, to confront her fears the way she did.

In my younger days, I moved out young, got my own place, had a decent job, but because I was a young woman living on my own, I had issues with nosy landlords coming into my apartment when I was not home, and a stalker ex-boyfriend or two.  Even without a gun, I was determined that I was not going to put up with prolonged harassment.  I told the perps I did not believe in restraining orders, that I would handle the situation myself.

That was enough to keep them from coming back😉.  A little bit of attitude has gone a long way, lol!  I bet if I had a gun at the time, and they had known, they probably would not have attempted to harass me in the first place.

Edited by AKVAT
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, AKVAT said:

Sorry to hear of her passing, she sounds like a lady I would have enjoyed shooting with.  I bet that was a huge step forward for her, to confront her fears the way she did.

In my younger days, I moved out young, got my own place, had a decent job, but because I was a young woman living on my own, I had issues with nosy landlords coming into my apartment when I was not home, and a stalker ex-boyfriend or two.  Even without a gun, I was determined that I was not going to put up with prolonged harassment.  I told the perps I did not believe in restraining orders, that I would handle the situation myself.

That was enough to keep them from coming back😉.  A little bit of attitude has gone a long way, lol!  I bet if I had a gun at the time, and they had known, they probably would not have attempted to harass me in the first place.

She was a wonderful person and had a beautiful soul and it took a little building to get her where she was. I didn't put the part in there about her ex peeing his pants when he saw the gun in her hand pointed directly at him and she was not shakng at all. She told him he had two choices Lay down face first on the floor or get shot. At first he hesitated til she clicked the safety off and he peed his pants while getting on the floor. We got a good laugh out of it but I think it did her the most good to know she didn't have to fear him beating on her any more. I wish I could have had more time with her but GOD had other plans but I was blessed all the time we did have together.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, bersaguy said:

She was a wonderful person and had a beautiful soul and it took a little building to get her where she was. I didn't put the part in there about her ex peeing his pants when he saw the gun in her hand pointed directly at him and she was not shakng at all. She told him he had two choices Lay down face first on the floor or get shot. At first he hesitated til she clicked the safety off and he peed his pants while getting on the floor. We got a good laugh out of it but I think it did her the most good to know she didn't have to fear him beating on her any more. I wish I could have had more time with her but GOD had other plans but I was blessed all the time we did have together.

What she did was awesome.  It goes to show how cowardly these perps are who insist on beating on people smaller and weaker than them.  I have been in some really scary situations in my life and I have never peed my pants, lol!!

People like the ex are disturbing, especially since I have gone through life as a petite woman and it is not uncommon to have someone bigger and stronger than me think they can lash out at me, push me out of the way or take advantage of me.  I do not look forward to looking older, not because I am vain, but because older is yet another category perps think they can take advantage of. 

I have always said, the gun levels the playing field, old or young, man or woman, big or small.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, AKVAT said:

What she did was awesome.  It goes to show how cowardly these perps are who insist on beating on people smaller and weaker than them.  I have been in some really scary situations in my life and I have never peed my pants, lol!!

People like the ex are disturbing, especially since I have gone through life as a petite woman and it is not uncommon to have someone bigger and stronger than me think they can lash out at me, push me out of the way or take advantage of me.  I do not look forward to looking older, not because I am vain, but because older is yet another category perps think they can take advantage of. 

I have always said, the gun levels the playing field, old or young, man or woman, big or small.

That is why I have always enjoyed the saying, "GOD created all men and Sam Colt made them all equal." I'm 71 year old and my health is not the best but I never leave home without something on my hip well concealed until it might be needed. I hope that day never comes but if it does it will be interesting for sure.