Wounded Knee

xsubsailor

2 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

If only people knew history!

The educators in our classrooms today don't want our youth to know about the real history of our country so they just quit teaching it. I learned about history of America all through Middle School and High School and in High School I also took classes in World History. I bet you cannot find an American history book from back when I was in High School in any classrooms today............JMHO

• Like 2
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

The educators in our classrooms today don't want our youth to know about the real history of our country so they just quit teaching it. I learned about history of America all through Middle School and High School and in High School I also took classes in World History. I bet you cannot find an American history book from back when I was in High School in any classrooms today............JMHO

Very few schools keep 100 year old books ...😊

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
29 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

Very few schools keep 100 year old books. I think my grandkids do everything on line now.

It's definitely heading that way, however the consensus at most schools is that they have to issue some sort of device to each student to make it work.  Eventually, it's going to be the norm for all schools ...

My daughter does a large percentage of her school work on a Chromebook. They rent them for $50 a year. I assume there are assistance programs for many families. I bought her one after last year, they tried to make us pay for damage to her rental, that we had documented was damaged upon issuance.

• Like 1

That has been coming for years and was only a matter of time. That way they can have control over what a student learns and any attempts to research other stuff is made unavailable to them. I would bet in a classroom setting with that classes program loaded you can only research items related to that being taught by the teacher.

Does anyone know if they even offer an American History class in Middle or High Schools these days. I might need to ask my DIL since she is home teaching 5 kids.

Last thing I heard back years ago when my boys were in middle school they got new American history books and their was only one small chapter about the Civil war and Slavery was not mentioned in the chapter but mostly about Civil was and Abe Lincoln and a very little on Grant and Lee.

I guess that must have been the period in time that they began re witing American History and try to hide the dark days in our nations history. I have never been one to be proud of that time in our country's history but it did happen and should not be hid but condemed to make sure it never repeats itself as at times history does have a way of repeating itself...........JMHO 

In Tennessee, all high school students are required to take a class in US history prior to graduation.  In most schools in this area it's normally taken during the junior year. Middle school students used have classes in both Tennessee history and US history.  I've not been directly involved with middle schools, if those requirements have changed I'm not aware of it ...

Edit, after looking at the Tennessee State Standards website, I see now that Tennessee history is part of the 1st, 3rd and 5th curriculum, 7th graders now have World History and Geography rather than the old Tennessee history class, 8th grade is still a course in US history.

Edited by No_0ne

Ok, That is good to a point but is it the true history with all of the negative issues or a cooked up version that is the what they want students to learn and not the full truth about our history? I guess if it is enough to peak the interests in students they can still do research to learn what is not being taught. I know my Sons both did all the research that I told them I had learned and they both did the additional studies on line and learned all they could about it. 

I think that may be why they are wanting to remove all the statues and rename buildings trying to hid what is not being taught. In all reality they are probably causing the young people to see what they might be trying to hide by doing this but who knows for sure? Not me!

With my kids, the chromebooks are rather surprisingly not very locked down. My pc at work has more restrictions. 

Yes, they do a lot of work online because it costs a lot less than paper books. It's also much easier to administrate because the teacher gets a report of who's done what.  

The history related work my 5th grader has done has been very relevant and fact based. Some stuff I knew and some I didn't. I haven't detected any significant "spin" in the lessons, just simple facts surrounding people, places, and events. They're not presenting some of the darker moments, but I'm ok with that at his age. 

4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Ok, That is good to a point but is it the true history with all of the negative issues or a cooked up version that is the what they want students to learn and not the full truth about our history? I guess if it is enough to peak the interests in students they can still do research to learn what is not being taught. I know my Sons both did all the research that I told them I had learned and they both did the additional studies on line and learned all they could about it. 

I think that may be why they are wanting to remove all the statues and rename buildings trying to hid what is not being taught. In all reality they are probably causing the young people to see what they might be trying to hide by doing this but who knows for sure? Not me!

No idea, I just looked at the course offerings and what the state now considers as required standards.  According to most on here, I spent 33 years indoctrinating unsuspecting minds with leftist ideology and communist principles all under the guise of teaching Algebra, Chemistry and Physics at the high school level so I have no current knowledge of how social studies classes operate ...

• Like 5
52 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

No idea, I just looked at the course offerings and what the state now considers as required standards.  According to most on here, I spent 33 years indoctrinating unsuspecting minds with leftist ideology and communist principles all under the guise of teaching Algebra, Chemistry and Physics at the high school level so I have no current knowledge of how social studies classes operate ...

Regardless of how those that don’t appreciate education think, history and “social studies” are very easily manipulated and for some reason to tend to evolve to suit the current generation.

My FIL is a retired history professor and constantly laments the revisionist historians that have now taken over the profession.  Textbooks are constantly updated and sometimes “cleansed” to make sure the children are being given the proper slant.  Most of the facts are still there but the presentation can often be infused with opinion.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Regardless of how those that don’t appreciate education think, history and “social studies” are very easily manipulated and for some reason to tend to evolve to suit the current generation.

My FIL is a retired history professor and constantly laments the revisionist historians that have now taken over the profession.  Textbooks are constantly updated and sometimes “cleansed” to make sure the children are being given the proper slant.  Most of the facts are still there but the presentation can often be infused with opinion.

I don't disagree, but that's always been true.  Professional historians have always had disagreements in their interpretation of historical events and even what those events were; as new data, primary sources, written accounts, and previously unknown details are uncovered not only are interpretations and viewpoints constantly changing, but even accounts of what actually happened in one era or another change.  Many of these same historians have been forced to revise and update their previous assertions regarding past events, often in relatively short time periods. This process is an integral part of the study of history now and has been in the past as well. This doesn't imply that historians, like all people, have not sometimes interjected their personal viewpoints, opinions, prejudices and beliefs into their professional work, but that characteristic is not unique to later scholars only ...

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to find the Tennessee history book we had in middle school back in the mid 80's but I don't think that they even have such a thing anymore. Plus, the way history is presented now it seems everything is out to paint our country as a terrible place with nothing but bad events in our past. I realize there were some but I believe there is more good than bad.

Something that I have enjoyed is a course from The Great Courses online titled "The American West: History, Myth and Legacy" Some of it is review of what we learned in school and some is information that I have never heard. Some is also of the darker side of our past. Good to listen to at work like a pod cast and there are twenty four 30min lessons. I have liked a couple other courses and couple others not so much.

If you are interested and look it up on the site right now it has some outrageous price of around $200 but the courses go on sale all the time and I haven't paid more than $30 for any complete course. Some have been as low as $15. I think I paid $25 for the history one.

Edited by jwinter
19 minutes ago, jwinter said:

I would love to find the Tennessee history book we had in middle school back in the mid 80's but I don't think that they even have such a thing anymore. Plus, the way history is presented now it seems everything is out to paint our country as a terrible place with nothing but bad events in our past. I realize there were some but I believe there is more good than bad.

Something that I have enjoyed is a course from The Great Courses online titled "The American West: History, Myth and Legacy" Some of it is review of what we learned in school and some is information that I have never heard. Some is also of the darker side of our past. Good to listen to at work like a pod cast and there are twenty four 30min lessons. I have liked a couple other courses and couple others not so much.

If you are interested and look it up on the site right now it has some outrageous price of around $200 but the courses go on sale all the time and I haven't paid more than $30 for any complete course. Some have been as low as $15. I think I paid $25 for the hiostory one.

Tennessee history was required in school when I was in seventh grade.  That was like 1980 and the textbook was blue, I believe it was The Blue Book.

Every year Tennessee publishes The Blue Book.  They used to actually print it in nicely bound book form and mail it to you for free before the internet.  All you had to to was call and ask.  

Now it’s all online but a great and fascinating resource....https://sos.tn.gov/content/tennessee-blue-book

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

I also had Tennessee History in 7th grade, circa 1973, but I'm pretty sure we didn't use the Blue Book as a textbook.  Maybe it was used as a supplemental source for the section on the government of Tennessee, but not as the main text.  That's been a few years ago, so my memories of the text are fairly vague, but our teacher was a retired career soldier, having served as a Command Sgt. Major.  His class was the one we had directly prior to lunch, one of his duties was to take the class to the cafeteria before offloading us to whoever supervised there.  Early in the year, he taught us to march, we made quite a sight and got a lot of stares marching to cadence into the lunchroom ...

56 minutes ago, jwinter said:

If you are interested and look it up on the site right now it has some outrageous price of around $200 but the courses go on sale all the time and I haven't paid more than $30 for any complete course. Some have been as low as $15. I think I paid $25 for the hiostory one.

Try your local public library or a used book store. You might be surprised at what you find. 

I have looked for history books at the used book stores, online and in regular stores but finding something that you feel is telling you the truth is hard to pick out. I know every book has a slant from the author whether intentionally or not but finding something that is relatively fair to all sides is fairly difficult. 

I have also read several accounts of Wounded Knee slanted to each side. Most do tend to lead towards the uncertainty of who fired first or at times out right blaming the other side. The results are horrible either way but we also don't know what really happened as far as who was firing from where. If shots were coming from (or assumed to be) coming from the teepees, I can see why they fired into them which could lead to some of the deaths of the women and children. The biggest thing that we can't understand or feel from this distance in time is the true fear and hatred each side had for the other. Both can make people do some really horrible things.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jwinter said:

I have looked for history books at the used book stores, online and in regular stores but finding something that you feel is telling you the truth is hard to pick out. I know every book has a slant from the author whether intentionally or not but finding something that is relatively fair to all sides is fairly difficult. 

I have also read several accounts of Wounded Knee slanted to each side. Most do tend to lead towards the uncertainty of who fired first or at times out right blaming the other side. The results are horrible either way but we also don't know what really happened as far as who was firing from where. If shots were coming from (or assumed to be) coming from the teepees, I can see why they fired into them which could lead to some of the deaths of the women and children. The biggest thing that we can't understand or feel from this distance in time is the true fear and hatred each side had for the other. Both can make people do some really horrible things.

Probably the best way to find the older history books is to look at what date the book was published. They all have a date somewhere in them when they were published or printed. You might look on Amazon as they  have a lot of used older books they sell. Also at Wounded Knee women and children were also killed. The army had the indian incampment surrounded and army had the high ground.

Edited by bersaguy

Since this thread has taken a historical turn, here's another tidbit..

Ellis Island began processing immigrants into the U.S. on Jan. 1, 1892 — 127 years ago.

Fifteen-year-old Irish immigrant Annie Moore was the first to cross through the Ellis Island Immigration station, according to the Library of Congress. She would be one of more than 12 million people who would pass through the entry port in New York Harbor, which operated for 62 years.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/01/ellis-island-immigration-new-year/

• Like 1