car title transfer

Happy new year everyone! hope you're all well!

i have a 2004 nissan frontier i need to get the title transferred into my name but am having a hard time coming up with the info to do so, i did find this but not sure if it is correct https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/title-transfers.php

also is the process the same on a older vehicle say from the 70's or so? or is it different?

thanks for any help!

5 hours ago, luke9511 said:

Happy new year everyone! hope you're all well!

i have a 2004 nissan frontier i need to get the title transferred into my name but am having a hard time coming up with the info to do so, i did find this but not sure if it is correct https://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/title-transfers.php

also is the process the same on a older vehicle say from the 70's or so? or is it different?

thanks for any help!

1.  Have whoever's name is on the title now sign the back as the seller

2. Take signed title to your local County Clerk's office

3. Write a check for title fees and applicable sales tax

If the sales price falls below what is known as "fair market" value, you will have to prove the actual selling price by some sort of affidavit, the folks at the Clerk's office can explain all that to you ...

• Like 1
4 hours ago, No_0ne said:

1.  Have whoever's name is on the title now sign the back as the seller

2. Take signed title to your local County Clerk's office

3. Write a check for title fees and applicable sales tax

If the sales price falls below what is known as "fair market" value, you will have to prove the actual selling price by some sort of affidavit, the folks at the Clerk's office can explain all that to you ...

not being sold to me as it is coming from a family member for free

There's a form on the site Davetn linked that handles that. Take the family member who's gifting the vehicle with you and explain what you're doing. It's easier in person than trying to Google all the answers. Ask me how I know :)

• Like 1

You can download an Affidavit of non-dealer transfer on line or pick up a copy from your county clerks office. The top of the form has 2 options.  First is a Relative transfer and to be tax exempt it must be from a spouse, sibling or any other lineal relative.  Option 2 is gift transfer or low selling price to a person other than tax-exempt relatives.

I’ve done a couple of these and they were quite simple.  The county clerks office can walk you thru and my suggestion is take the existing title there and tell them what you are trying to do. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

You can download an Affidavit of non-dealer transfer on line or pick up a copy from your county clerks office. The top of the form has 2 options.  First is a Relative transfer and to be tax exempt it must be from a spouse, sibling or any other lineal relative.  Option 2 is gift transfer or low selling price to a person other than tax-exempt relatives.

I’ve done a couple of these and they were quite simple.  The county clerks office can walk you thru and my suggestion is take the existing title there and tell them what you are trying to do. 

^^This. I have done it with my late mother's car. She wished it given to her brother.

I took the title to the local county clerk's office, explained what was happening, and was done in less than 5 minutes. It did help that my family was known there, so no problems at all about the gift to a relative transfer.

• Like 1
On 1/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, Murgatroy said:

I lived half the state away, my stepfather gave me a car. It was an old Mustang, they wanted a ton of paperwork, then they would base taxes on assessed value... The clerk then asked me, "You paid $100 for the car, right?" You are damn right I did.

if i got asked that i would say 5 bucks cause thats all my grandfather would ask anyway lol

8 hours ago, luke9511 said:

if i got asked that i would say 5 bucks cause thats all my grandfather would ask anyway lol

$100 was the minimum twenty years ago. I am sure it has gone up since then. Anything less that that required massive amounts of paperwork and a tax assessment.