Hello Folks

Hi everybody.  I have recelcntly moved to TN from the communist state of NJ and although I have only been here for 3 months I absolutely love it.  What a great State you have!  I am a Brit and have been living in the US for 6 years now.  While leaving in England I used to live breath and sleep hunting. I had a Landrover Defender in Military Green and that was my shooting wagon.  I performed vermin control for many fruit farmers and controlled mainly rabbits and foxes.  Back in those days I used a 17HMR a few high powered Air Rifles and a couple of shotguns.  I moved to NJ 6 years ago and had high aspirations of being able to hunt, unfortunately due to the laws in NJ and NY I really did not get out at all or have the change to use a rifle on anything but the local range.

When I got the chance to relocate to TN I chewed my forms arm off, one of the reasons I was so enthusiastic was your hunting and gun laws here.  I simply cannot wait to get back into it!  I currently own a Savage Heavy Barrelled .243 and a Walter PPQ in 9mm.  I have a concealed carry course in a couple of weeks and have just placed an order for an M&P Shield in .380 as a personal protection firearm.

My next purchase, maybe this weekend with be an AR-15 or something similar. I will be totally honest with you in that when I first thought of owning an Assault Rifle, and especially in NJ I really thought there was not point.  Having educated myself more I do really see the benefit of having such a versital weapon, both from a home protection perspective and hunting. My appreciation of an AR has swung 360 degrees.

I will post in the correct forum a little later today but would love to hear some thoughts on the way to go with an Assault rifle, or M4 for hunting and home protection.  I’d l;Ike to get something that I can customize.  I don’t have great upper body strength so whatever I get must be on the lighter side.

I’d love to hook up with any of you that live in my area, I would especially like to shadow you on a hunt, to learn the ropes, the do’s and dont’s Etc.  I am very much about safety and common sense first.  I am not hear to steal any hunting land from you or to divulge any secret locations, I simply want to learn, make friends and get back into the hunting I enjoyed so much when I lived in England. I’d even consider leasing land if that’s what it takes.

So that’s much introduction. I hope I did not bore you to tears!

• Like 1

Welcome to freedom.  :)

There are so many good AR options out there these days that it's hard to go wrong, and you regularly see good deals show up in the classified ads here at TGO.  If you want to buy new, the S&W M&P15 Optic Ready is a great starting point, although there are plenty of others.

Enjoy life in the American South.  It's not heaven, but it's mighty close.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Welcome to freedom.  :)

There are so many good AR options out there these days that it's hard to go wrong, and you regularly see good deals show up in the classified ads here at TGO.  If you want to buy new, the S&W M&P15 Optic Ready is a great starting point, although there are plenty of others.

Enjoy life in the American South.  It's not heaven, but it's mighty close.

Cheers,

Whisper

The S&W was one of the rifles I had heard good things about as a base.  Thank for the. Warm welcome!

4 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Welcome!  Any hopes of relocating to the States permanently?

I’m a permanent resident. So I get all the perks apart from the right to vote!  At this point I have no intention of becoming a US Citizen as doing so would have Tax implications if we decided to return back to the UK, it would not be the end of the world, but we have not decided if we will go back home.  That wont be for at least another 10-15 years.  It really depends on what my son does.  he is 22 and lives back in NJ.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

I’m a permanent resident. So I get all the perks apart from the right to vote!  At this point I have no intention of becoming a US Citizen as doing so would have Tax implications if we decided to return back to the UK, it would not be the end of the world, but we have not decided if we will go back home.  That wont be for at least another 10-15 years.  It really depends on what my son does.  he is 22 and lives back in NJ.

Does the UK recognize dual citizenship? I know the US does not. 

Welcome to TGO and to Tennessee!  As for an AR...

Quick correction, please:  AR's are not assault rifles.  Assault rifles are usually capable of burst or full auto firing and are made for the military.The modern sporting rifle called an AR made for the civilian population are actually Armalite rifles, based on the original manufactures name I believe.  The ones mentioned in earlier posts or most any other flat top would be a good base to start with, adding optics, sights and other  accessories as you decide what you need.

Where in England are you from?  I lived for several years in Suffolk, courtesy of the USAF.  My youngest son has dual US/UK citizenship, and while not ALL countries recognize dual citizenship, of those that do, not with all other countries,  Im fairly certain both the US and the UK do, in fact allow dual citizenship with each other.

Edited by Defender
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Defender said:

Welcome to TGO and to Tennessee!  As for an AR...

Quick correction, please:  AR's are not assault rifles.  Assault rifles are usually capable of burst or full auto firing and are made for the military.The modern sporting rifle called an AR made for the civilian population are actually Armalite rifles, based on the original manufactures name I believe.  The ones mentioned in earlier posts or most any other flat top would be a good base to start with, adding optics, sights and other  accessories as you decide what you need.

Where in England are you from?  I lived for several years in Suffolk, courtesy of the USAF.  My youngest son has dual US/UK citizenship, and while not ALL countries recognize dual citizenship, of those that do, not with all other countries,  Im fairly certain both the US and the UK do, in fact allow dual citizenship with each other.

I am from Rainham in Kent. I used to fix the PC's in Mildenhall and Lakenheath,

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

I am from Rainham in Kent. I used to fix the PC's in Mildenhall and Lakenheath,

I loved England when I was there!  I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, but lived in the local communities before eventually moving onto the airbase. Of course, it was a different England back then...there were 2 BBC and one ITV channels that went off the air fairly early each night...no satelite or cable, and the pubs closed early as well, but i loved England and my English friends.  It was a simpler time...fond memories. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Defender said:

I loved England when I was there!  I was stationed at RAF Lakenheath, but lived in the local communities before eventually moving onto the airbase. Of course, it was a different England back then...there were 2 BBC and one ITV channels that went off the air fairly early each night...no satelite or cable, and the pubs closed early as well, but i loved England and my English friends.  It was a simpler time...fond memories. 

It’s a lovely country. Especially Kent and Suffolk , real countryside. I think it’s why I love TN so much as it reminds me of home. I remember them off base houses too. I used to live in Gibraltar when I was a kid as my dad used to work in the Dockyard. They were great times. I will confess I do have some property from the USS Nimitz. My dad BORROWED a tripod and binoculars that, according to him were being thrown away :) so at least that is back in the right country now :)

2 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

It’s a lovely country. Especially Kent and Suffolk , real countryside. I think it’s why I love TN so much as it reminds me of home. I remember them off base houses too. I used to live in Gibraltar when I was a kid as my dad used to work in the Dockyard. They were great times. I will confess I do have some property from the USS Nimitz. My dad BORROWED a tripod and binoculars that, according to him were being thrown away :) so at least that is back in the right country now :)

I spent a week in London and 2 weeks in Peak District National Park in Derbyshire back in the mid 90's. I was part of a student group doing trail maintenance and such in the park. So there is a cobblestoned path and wall that I had a hand in. I loved everything about it. Got to visit several non-tourist places in London I was revered to and then soak in the views in the park. Several days the moor was covered in fog and all you heard all day was sheep. By the end we hated that noise. Lol

Pretty big trip for me. Farthest I had been before was D.C., and that was a group trip. 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I spent a week in London and 2 weeks in Peak District National Park in Derbyshire back in the mid 90's. I was part of a student group doing trail maintenance and such in the park. So there is a cobblestoned path and wall that I had a hand in. I loved everything about it. Got to visit several non-tourist places in London I was revered to and then soak in the views in the park. Several days the moor was covered in fog and all you heard all day was sheep. By the end we hated that noise. Lol

Pretty big trip for me. Farthest I had been before was D.C., and that was a group trip. 

Nice, it’s what I miss the most is me with my rifle , sitting in the middle of nowhere, just the cattle and sheep making noises . I did not even care if I managed to bag anything. Just being in that environment was my favorite place. I long to get those days back in TN.