Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
reed1285

Inherited Colt Agent

Recommended Posts

I recently inherited my grandfather’s Colt Agent that he has carried for years and years. I am lucky enough that he is still with me, but he is getting of an advanced age and is starting to think about these things. Just wanted to share a couple pictures. Also pictured are a couple boxes of ammo that came with the gun that appear to have some age on them as well. Anybody got any info they would care to share on the white-cased USAC ammo? Never seen them before. 

 

5698D84E-2A14-476B-8024-61869DA009DE.jpeg

0AAA3638-8347-4857-805E-AF26894FC35E.jpeg

EE57C0A7-7558-4096-B8C4-82857EB4F03F.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. love to see a gun with honest wear that was used and not abused. What year is the agent?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet pistol. I still have my Dad's Colt Agent and Detective. Both appear to be about like yours condition-wise.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Very nice. love to see a gun with honest wear that was used and not abused. What year is the agent?

This one is a 1972.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You got me curious. I found this posted. Evidentially the ammo could be reloaded without a press, but had proprietary bullets.

 

6g3LQgs.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I still have some of this plastic case .38s and a couple of boxes of bullets to go in them. Never did have the loader mechanism though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

@reed1285 Is there a TN Tax stamp on the USAC box? The amount of the stamp might let us zero in on the date it was bought.

Here is some info from a quick search:

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/38-usac/462/3

Unfortunately there is not a TN ammo tax stamp on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, reed1285 said:

Unfortunately there is not a TN ammo tax stamp on it.

Ok

 Well hopefully the other link/info helped.

I did some research years ago that I will post here for anyone that does have a tax stamp on a box. All public info, just have to dig a bit. 

A list of the acts related to ammunition tax and what changes occurred:

 =============================

1937, Ch. 84: mentions a “privilege tax” which equals 3% of the retail sales price of the ammunition; no mention of specific amount

1945, Ch. 37: $.03 per box on center fire and shotgun shells; $.01 on rim-fire ammunition

1974, Ch. 481: all money from the ammunition tax goes to the Wildlife Resources Fund; no mention of specific amount of tax

1979, Ch. 179: $.05 on any ammunition box

1982, Ch. 738: amending language; no mention of tax amount

1989, Ch. 486: $.10 on any ammunition box

===========

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great revolver! The ammo is new to me. I'll bet it has some sort of a collector following as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Nice !

Always like the inherited pieces. They mean so much more regardless what brand is stamped on them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, Ronald_55 said:

Ok

 Well hopefully the other link/info helped.

I did some research years ago that I will post here for anyone that does have a tax stamp on a box. All public info, just have to dig a bit. 

A list of the acts related to ammunition tax and what changes occurred:

 =============================

1937, Ch. 84: mentions a “privilege tax” which equals 3% of the retail sales price of the ammunition; no mention of specific amount

1945, Ch. 37: $.03 per box on center fire and shotgun shells; $.01 on rim-fire ammunition

1974, Ch. 481: all money from the ammunition tax goes to the Wildlife Resources Fund; no mention of specific amount of tax

1979, Ch. 179: $.05 on any ammunition box

1982, Ch. 738: amending language; no mention of tax amount

1989, Ch. 486: $.10 on any ammunition box

===========

Yes it did help, thanks. Also thanks for the tax stamp information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, reed1285 said:

Yes it did help, thanks. Also thanks for the tax stamp information.

You are welcome. You are very lucky to get to share that great pistol while he is still with you. My grandfather had a very unfortunate issue long before me when a friend he sold a pistol to killed his wife. He never let another pistol go as long as he lived. My Dad has them now and I will get them at some point. I think family guns hold so much more meaning. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

... I think family guns hold so much more meaning. 

Absolutely. In a fit of stupidity some years back, I sold one of my Dad's shotguns, a Remington 1100. Yes, I needed some cash, but I immediately regretted the decision. 

It will not happen again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hipower said:

Absolutely. In a fit of stupidity some years back, I sold one of my Dad's shotguns, a Remington 1100. Yes, I needed some cash, but I immediately regretted the decision. 

It will not happen again.

 

I actually started buying guns to use because I knew I would treasure those passed to me. My Dad has a 1100 in 12ga. He is so scared he will scratch it that he barely uses it. LoL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I actually started buying guns to use because I knew I would treasure those passed to me. My Dad has a 1100 in 12ga. He is so scared he will scratch it that he barely uses it. LoL

I've bought a few pistols and had that reaction. lol

Dad shot everything he bought. The only exception was a Smith Model 41 he bought just before his death. Put away for over 25 years. Mom gave it to me and told me to sell it.

I hesitated for a bit, but since the receipt said 126 was the total on it, and Mom asked that I do it...I did.  Took it to a M'boro show and walked around with it. Priced at then current market and I had dealers and individuals offering 500/600 for it. lol I'm an idiot at times, but not that much of one.

One guy kept harassing me over it and I told him the price was firm. Followed me for an hour trying to talk me out of it. He did get it. At my price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hipower said:

I've bought a few pistols and had that reaction. lol

Dad shot everything he bought. The only exception was a Smith Model 41 he bought just before his death. Put away for over 25 years. Mom gave it to me and told me to sell it.

I hesitated for a bit, but since the receipt said 126 was the total on it, and Mom asked that I do it...I did.  Took it to a M'boro show and walked around with it. Priced at then current market and I had dealers and individuals offering 500/600 for it. lol I'm an idiot at times, but not that much of one.

One guy kept harassing me over it and I told him the price was firm. Followed me for an hour trying to talk me out of it. He did get it. At my price.

I'd have given mom my money and told her it sure sold quick!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

I'd have given mom my money and told her it sure sold quick!

Actually, I tried, but she refused it. Besides, I had Dad's, and my, favorite 22; a High Standard Olympic in 22Short. First one of his guns I ever shot. She's in about 80% condition, but still shoots like a champion. Love taking it out and watching guys try to figure out what it is.

Many have tried, but no one is getting this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reed you are very fortunate to have both your grandfather and his nice pistol. Cherish them both, hand down that piece to your son or daughter along with some nice tales of your grandfather.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines