Inherited Colt Agent

I recently inherited my grandfather’s Colt Agent that he has carried for years and years. I am lucky enough that he is still with me, but he is getting of an advanced age and is starting to think about these things. Just wanted to share a couple pictures. Also pictured are a couple boxes of ammo that came with the gun that appear to have some age on them as well. Anybody got any info they would care to share on the white-cased USAC ammo? Never seen them before. 

5698D84E-2A14-476B-8024-61869DA009DE.jpeg

0AAA3638-8347-4857-805E-AF26894FC35E.jpeg

EE57C0A7-7558-4096-B8C4-82857EB4F03F.jpeg

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, reed1285 said:

Unfortunately there is not a TN ammo tax stamp on it.

Ok

Well hopefully the other link/info helped.

I did some research years ago that I will post here for anyone that does have a tax stamp on a box. All public info, just have to dig a bit. 

A list of the acts related to ammunition tax and what changes occurred:

=============================

1937, Ch. 84: mentions a “privilege tax” which equals 3% of the retail sales price of the ammunition; no mention of specific amount

1945, Ch. 37: $.03 per box on center fire and shotgun shells; $.01 on rim-fire ammunition

1974, Ch. 481: all money from the ammunition tax goes to the Wildlife Resources Fund; no mention of specific amount of tax

1979, Ch. 179: $.05 on any ammunition box

1982, Ch. 738: amending language; no mention of tax amount

1989, Ch. 486: $.10 on any ammunition box

===========

• Like 1
On 1/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, Ronald_55 said:

Ok

Well hopefully the other link/info helped.

I did some research years ago that I will post here for anyone that does have a tax stamp on a box. All public info, just have to dig a bit. 

A list of the acts related to ammunition tax and what changes occurred:

=============================

1937, Ch. 84: mentions a “privilege tax” which equals 3% of the retail sales price of the ammunition; no mention of specific amount

1945, Ch. 37: $.03 per box on center fire and shotgun shells; $.01 on rim-fire ammunition

1974, Ch. 481: all money from the ammunition tax goes to the Wildlife Resources Fund; no mention of specific amount of tax

1979, Ch. 179: $.05 on any ammunition box

1982, Ch. 738: amending language; no mention of tax amount

1989, Ch. 486: $.10 on any ammunition box

===========

Yes it did help, thanks. Also thanks for the tax stamp information.

1 hour ago, reed1285 said:

Yes it did help, thanks. Also thanks for the tax stamp information.

You are welcome. You are very lucky to get to share that great pistol while he is still with you. My grandfather had a very unfortunate issue long before me when a friend he sold a pistol to killed his wife. He never let another pistol go as long as he lived. My Dad has them now and I will get them at some point. I think family guns hold so much more meaning. 

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

... I think family guns hold so much more meaning. 

Absolutely. In a fit of stupidity some years back, I sold one of my Dad's shotguns, a Remington 1100. Yes, I needed some cash, but I immediately regretted the decision. 

It will not happen again.

30 minutes ago, hipower said:

Absolutely. In a fit of stupidity some years back, I sold one of my Dad's shotguns, a Remington 1100. Yes, I needed some cash, but I immediately regretted the decision. 

It will not happen again.

I actually started buying guns to use because I knew I would treasure those passed to me. My Dad has a 1100 in 12ga. He is so scared he will scratch it that he barely uses it. LoL

4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I actually started buying guns to use because I knew I would treasure those passed to me. My Dad has a 1100 in 12ga. He is so scared he will scratch it that he barely uses it. LoL

I've bought a few pistols and had that reaction. lol

Dad shot everything he bought. The only exception was a Smith Model 41 he bought just before his death. Put away for over 25 years. Mom gave it to me and told me to sell it.

I hesitated for a bit, but since the receipt said 126 was the total on it, and Mom asked that I do it...I did.  Took it to a M'boro show and walked around with it. Priced at then current market and I had dealers and individuals offering 500/600 for it. lol I'm an idiot at times, but not that much of one.

One guy kept harassing me over it and I told him the price was firm. Followed me for an hour trying to talk me out of it. He did get it. At my price.

2 hours ago, hipower said:

I've bought a few pistols and had that reaction. lol

Dad shot everything he bought. The only exception was a Smith Model 41 he bought just before his death. Put away for over 25 years. Mom gave it to me and told me to sell it.

I hesitated for a bit, but since the receipt said 126 was the total on it, and Mom asked that I do it...I did.  Took it to a M'boro show and walked around with it. Priced at then current market and I had dealers and individuals offering 500/600 for it. lol I'm an idiot at times, but not that much of one.

One guy kept harassing me over it and I told him the price was firm. Followed me for an hour trying to talk me out of it. He did get it. At my price.

I'd have given mom my money and told her it sure sold quick!

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

I'd have given mom my money and told her it sure sold quick!

Actually, I tried, but she refused it. Besides, I had Dad's, and my, favorite 22; a High Standard Olympic in 22Short. First one of his guns I ever shot. She's in about 80% condition, but still shoots like a champion. Love taking it out and watching guys try to figure out what it is.

Many have tried, but no one is getting this one.