9mm subcompact choice

terry274

I am considering getting a new carry gun. I want a 9MM subcompact. The choices available are almost overwhelming, but what I am focused on is:

Smith&Wesson Shield Item Number: 11673 

Walther PPS M2

Beretta Nano

Ruger lc9s

I considered the Sig Sauer  P365 but I'm not sure the reliability is there yet on that gun.

Currently I carry a Smith&Wesson 442 .38 special snub nose revolver.  I like this gun for it's ease of carry but I would like a few more rounds.

I own a CZ 75 compact 9MM. I love the way that gun shoots, it is much easier to get on target and be accurate but it is just too heavy to carry on a daily basis.

I am slender, so concealment is somewhat difficult at times. That's part of the reason for the subcompact requirement.

So, what's the recommendation for a reliable, easy to conceal great shooting subcompact?

Any recommendations on stores local to the Nashville-Murfreesboro area?

Thank,

Terry

How are you going to carry it?  IWB/OWB holster?  Pocket?  Belly band?  Ankle holster?

I have a Glock 43 that I bought specifically for the rare occasion I need to pocket carry.  The 43 is small enough for me to pull it off, but the Shield and PPS are a hair bigger and are a different category of guns, IMO.  If you are doing anything but pocket carry, the Shield and PPS are fine guns. I despise the Shield (mainly because of its trigger), but that is purely personal.  I have some experience with the PPS and I like them.

Depending on your build, you can probably comfortably carry a gun bigger than any of these IWB most of the time.  The about-to-be-released Glock 48 comes to mind.  Some slim guys say "I can't carry IWB" but then some chubby guys say "I can't carry IWB."  With the right holster and a reasonably sized gun, it's easier than many think.  

• Like 1

I have a Shield and have been happy with it. More so since I installed an Apex trigger. The hinged factory trigger just didn't work well for me. 

Its too big for me to pocket carry, but it conceals very well in a good belt holster. 

As for weight, I find it's more about balance than total weight. I find carrying 2 spare mags opposite the gun less fatiguing than the gun by itself. And a good gun belt makes all the difference. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, deerslayer said:

How are you going to carry it?  IWB/OWB holster?  Pocket?  Belly band?  Ankle holster?  

IWB or pocket. The thing I like about the .38 is how it fits in pants pockets. Do you dislike the Shield M2 trigger, or the first generation Shield trigger?

TGH David, I am once again considering the P365 thanks to the link you posted.

10-Ring I'll have a look at the Kimber.

You guys are making the list longer, not shorter. I have to get out and try some of these guns.

Thanks for the comments.

I carried a Kahr CM-9 for 4 years and was very pleased with it, just over 14 ozs. Now for the last 18 months I have been carrying a Kimber Micro 9 and have been very happy with it. No issues of any kind and shoots better than the Kahr.

I’ve carried a 1.0 Shield almost daily for 5 yrs.  Shoot it often.  Stock except for ameriglo yellow night sight. I have a safety on mine.  Completely reliable, easily concealed.  Remember as your round count increases so does the weight. There is a reason it is one of the top selling handguns.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
10 hours ago, terry274 said:

You guys are making the list longer, not shorter. I have to get out and try some of these guns.

Thanks for the comments.

Getting out and trying them is the best way to make an informed decision.  At the end of the day, everything you read or hear is someone else's opinion.  What matters is how the gun works for you.

I have an M&P Shield 1.0 in 9mm and now a P365.  I prefer the P365's feel overall.  Your mileage might vary!

2 hours ago, chances R said:

I’ve carried a 1.0 Shield almost daily for 5 yrs.  Shoot it often.  Stock except for ameriglo yellow night sight. I have a safety on mine.  Completely reliable, easily concealed.  Remember as your round count increases so does the weight. There is a reason it is one of the top selling handguns.  

I have a 45 acp Shield and a 9 mm Shield.  They can be carried easily using the same holster. Both have been reliable and accurate.  Visit a range that has rentals and try the models you're interested in. 

Edited by tnhawk
typing error

Strictly staying to your original list, I would go with the Shield.     I've owned one for several years and it's become my main EDC.     If I was looking at purchasing a new compact, I'd get the Sig P365.  But since the Shield continues to work for me, I'm not looking to spend the money to get one right now just to get the additional round count.    

On 1/5/2019 at 10:19 AM, terry274 said:

I am considering getting a new carry gun. I want a 9MM subcompact. The choices available are almost overwhelming, but what I am focused on is:

Smith&Wesson Shield Item Number: 11673 

Walther PPS M2

Beretta Nano

Ruger lc9s

I considered the Sig Sauer  P365 but I'm not sure the reliability is there yet on that gun.

Currently I carry a Smith&Wesson 442 .38 special snub nose revolver.  I like this gun for it's ease of carry but I would like a few more rounds.

I own a CZ 75 compact 9MM. I love the way that gun shoots, it is much easier to get on target and be accurate but it is just too heavy to carry on a daily basis.

I am slender, so concealment is somewhat difficult at times. That's part of the reason for the subcompact requirement.

So, what's the recommendation for a reliable, easy to conceal great shooting subcompact?

Any recommendations on stores local to the Nashville-Murfreesboro area?

Thank,

Terry

all are popular and great choices...That LC9 is the sleeper of the bunch and priced right 

I shot a Glock 43, a shield, and a Sig Sauer p365. I liked the Sig the best, mainly because of the sights. They all shot great, I'm sure they are all more accurate than I will ever be.

The shield had some sort of spacer on the magazine, it was really irritating.

I haven't bought one yet, but it's probably going to be the Sig Sauer. But honestly, they all seem like great guns. Maybe I just need to get one of each, huh?

• Like 2

Since you're still looking and don't have a critical need (the best time to buy) check out the PPS M2.

I handled (didn't shoot)  both it and the PPQ SC, I really liked them.

Internet reviews from individuals seem positive.

If I wasn't hunting (and eventually captured) a RAMI P,  my PK380 would have a 9mm sibling.

• Like 1

Check out the Ruger LC9s Pro.   The pro model has no manual safety and no magazine disconnect.

It has been discontinued (probably due to lawyers because of no manual safety) but was very well reviewed.

Still available new on gunbroker.com for $275.

I think mine is fantastic.  Check out this review:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/06/daniel-zimmerman/gun-review-ruger-lc9s-pro/

On 1/5/2019 at 10:45 PM, terry274 said:

Do you dislike the Shield M2 trigger, or the first generation Shield trigger?

Haven't shot the 2nd gen one.  The hinged trigger contraption is just atrocious for me, but apparently works for some people.  A lot of folks immediately put an Apex in them.  Changing sights right out of the box is one thing, but swapping triggers is a bit much.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Administrator
9 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Haven't shot the 2nd gen one.  The hinged trigger contraption is just atrocious for me, but apparently works for some people.  A lot of folks immediately put an Apex in them.  Changing sights right out of the box is one thing, but swapping triggers is a bit much.  

My experience has been that the 2.0 triggers are a lot better than the first generation.  I put an Apex trigger in one of my M2.0 Compacts just to see if it really made that much difference and, in my opinion, it really doesn't.

Bear in mind too that a lot of Glock owners swap triggers for aftermarket kit despite the Glock trigger reset having become the example of what a polymer striker-fired gun's trigger should feel like.  While some people may replace them in pursuit of a certain aspect of an aftermarket trigger's feel or function, I think a lot of people -- on both the Glock and S&W sides of the aisle -- swap them because folks are chronic tinkerers or gear-whores.

Tinkerer's gonna tinker! 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

My experience has been that the 2.0 triggers are a lot better than the first generation.  I put an Apex trigger in one of my M2.0 Compacts just to see if it really made that much difference and, in my opinion, it really doesn't.

Bear in mind too that a lot of Glock owners swap triggers for aftermarket kit despite the Glock trigger reset having become the example of what a polymer striker-fired gun's trigger should feel like.  While some people may replace them in pursuit of a certain aspect of an aftermarket trigger's feel or function, I think a lot of people -- on both the Glock and S&W sides of the aisle -- swap them because folks are chronic tinkerers or gear-whores.

Tinkerer's gonna tinker! 😁

I installed the Apex aluminum trigger (not the sear, springs, etc.) because my finger tends to go to the middle of the radius, right on the hinge. When I pull, it doesn't reliably hinge the trigger and disengage the safety first, so I'd get a big pop when it would release. Never caused an unexpected discharge, but clearly not good for accuracy.  The blade style aluminum trigger doesn't do that, and it's a little less mushy too. 

I haven't shot a 2.0 either. I feel sure it's better, but I'd expect the same issue with the hinge. 

17 hours ago, terry274 said:

The shield had some sort of spacer on the magazine, it was really irritating.

Not trying to sell you on the Shield, but if that was your only complaint, check out the post I made on the Samson Mfg solution to the elimination of the  magazine spacer for the Shield.    As an update to the post, I have now shot it with the magwell and really like it.    

For me though, if higher cost of the P365 over the Shield doesn't bother you, I'd get the P365 if it were me.  

https://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/109509-mp-shield-magwell-samson-mfg/