Democrats to Introduce Bill Expanding Background Checks on Gun Sales

Lot of interesting views on this gun stuff: too many guns, not enough guns, make it easier to get guns, make it harder to get guns, spend more money to lobby politicians (both sides), vote gun haters out of office, vote gun lovers out of office, too many laws, not enough laws. 

I wonder if ever be a solution to reduce gun violence / incidents or away to keep guns out of bad guys hands, that be criminals, mental cases, mean people or those about to be criminals, mental cases, or mean people, or people with no training in use of guns, no knowledge of Laws of Self Defense. 

On 1/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, SWJewellTN said:

Polls I've seen posted.

Polls usually reflect the views of the pollster, which are Liberally biased. How many times have you, or someone you know been involved in these polls. I've never had one call.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Polls usually reflect the views of the pollster, which are Liberally biased. How many times have you, or someone you know been involved in these polls. I've never had one call.

I had the same trouble after Obama was elected . I've still never met anyone who voted for him, once or twice:)

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

I had the same trouble after Obama was elected . I've still never met anyone who voted for him, once or twice:)

I don't believe even Oprah would admit to voting for him these days. I even wonder if she voted for him the second time. I do know several that voted for him the first time but not the second time. They realized the mistake they made the first time and didn't make it twice.

On 1/9/2019 at 7:50 AM, TGO David said:

Guys, we need to fight this with every ounce of energy that we have.  The time for letting the NRA, GOA, 2AF, and everyone else fight for our rights is long past. 

I agree.  A similar bill has been introduced in Tennessee (SB 1010/HB 1427) - i.e., requiring all firearm transfers to go through FFL and involve a background check.  

Mailed letters yesterday to my state senator and state representative urging them to oppose it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there can be a law written that will prevent criminals from getting guns. When laws are written and passed the only people that they effect are the people that legally own a gun and abide by all the laws written and passed. We all hear about many times a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun from doing a lot more killing then they would had the good guy not been there and reacted accordingly to stop the bad guy. Everytime this takes place the police call the man a hero for stepping in and stopping the bad guy. Those are the kind of stories the liberals don't want people to hear about because it goes against every one of their agendas. According to the Liberals there are no good guys with guns. If they had their way every gun owner would be a criminal and that is their real goal...........JMHO

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
HB1476

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates a Class A misdemeanor of leaving a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat without the firearm or ammunition being stored in a locked cabinet, safe, vault, case, or secured with a firearm locking device if the vehicle or boat is left unattended or with a person under 18 years of age; directs fines collected be deposited in the criminal injuries compensation fund and the domestic violence community education fund.

HB0801

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates a Class A misdemeanor of leaving a firearm or firearm ammunition unattended or with a person under 18 years of age in a motor vehicle or boat, if the firearm is not locked in a trunk, glove box, or interior of the person's motor vehicle or boat.

And on a totally unrelated item :cool:

HB1036 Motor Vehicles, Titling and Registration - As introduced, prohibits the issuance or renewal of the Sons of Confederate Veterans specialty license plate for motor vehicles and motorcycles.
  • Moderators
39 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:
HB1476

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates a Class A misdemeanor of leaving a firearm or ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat without the firearm or ammunition being stored in a locked cabinet, safe, vault, case, or secured with a firearm locking device if the vehicle or boat is left unattended or with a person under 18 years of age; directs fines collected be deposited in the criminal injuries compensation fund and the domestic violence community education fund.

HB0801

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, creates a Class A misdemeanor of leaving a firearm or firearm ammunition unattended or with a person under 18 years of age in a motor vehicle or boat, if the firearm is not locked in a trunk, glove box, or interior of the person's motor vehicle or boat.

And on a totally unrelated item :cool:

HB1036 Motor Vehicles, Titling and Registration - As introduced, prohibits the issuance or renewal of the Sons of Confederate Veterans specialty license plate for motor vehicles and motorcycles.

So if left in my LOCKED vehicle is my vehicle not just a big locked case? What's the use of another locked "something". Hammers, saws and torches can make short order of just about anything. 

I am so tired of everything being my fault for obeying laws and doing what is right. How about we get back to placing blame where blame is due. Let's quit voting in idiots to run our city's, states and countries. If elected officials go against what they said in campaigns then let's recall their ass. Enough of this crap is enough. Get involved. Be noisy. Be heard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

I am so tired of everything being my fault for obeying laws and doing what is right. How about we get back to placing blame where blame is due. 

Amen Brother. Everyone that carries may find a time when they need to enter a posted business; as you know it’s not as easy as saying “Don’t do business with them.”

I don’t see how this can pass when people can legally have a gun in their car, that doesn’t have an HCP.

So yes, if you have to leave your gun in your locked vehicle; these idiots think the answer is “Let’s make criminals out of the victims in crime.”

I have been writing my elected officials and also emailing them every week but have not heard back from any of them. You can bet when election time comes around I will hear from them wanting my vote. When I do hear from them then I will remind them of the many times I wrote them and they never replied back and see what their excuse is then. Along with telling them my vote depends on their excuse for not replying back.................😡 

22 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

So if left in my LOCKED vehicle is my vehicle not just a big locked case? What's the use of another locked "something". Hammers, saws and torches can make short order of just about anything. 

I am so tired of everything being my fault for obeying laws and doing what is right. How about we get back to placing blame where blame is due. Let's quit voting in idiots to run our city's, states and countries. If elected officials go against what they said in campaigns then let's recall their ass. Enough of this crap is enough. Get involved. Be noisy. Be heard. 

Read it again. If the vehicle is locked then it's not a problem. 

• Like 1

So just goes to show that even when back ground checks are done a felon criminal can still legally obtain a handgun so what will more back ground checks do if the ones now being done don't work? I have a friend I grew up with that still lives up there and he said he knows of a few other cases where felons were able to go through back ground checks in Illinois and were allowed to purchase hand guns but it never made the news and was caught and corrected and guns were collected by police before they could be used. I would like to know why they did not imediately go and take this guys gun away instead of sending him a letter asking him to please turn the gun in. All the letter did was tip him off that they knew he was a felon with a gun and he knew sooner or later they would be coming for it!! How many criminals are going to respond to a letter like that and take their gun and voluntarily turn it in?................:doh:

• Moderators
4 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I read it a couple of times and flat missed that. I'm going to blame it on age and progressive lenses. Yes, that's what I'm claiming. That sounds much better than I can't read AND comprehend. Lol

• Like 1
7 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

That's true if talking about HB0801, but HB1476 doesn't mention trunk, glove box, interior, etc.  

17 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Wouldn't that be something if Trump was the only thing standing between us and gun control? Nah. That ain't possible.

Well, if it ever got to the senate floor you can bet at least 44 dem's would probably vote for it, after all 44 of them voted to kill babies born alive.

I hope a bill like this never reaches a presidents desk. I'm sure I'd prefer President Trump to be there versus hilda, biden or any other dem.

JMHO.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Well, if it ever got to the senate floor you can bet at least 44 dem's would probably vote for it, after all 44 of them voted to kill babies born alive.

I hope a bill like this never reaches a presidents desk. I'm sure I'd prefer President Trump to be there versus hilda, biden or any other dem.

JMHO.

I have real low confidence in the congress these days.

• Like 1

I started reading the House judiciary’s amendment version of the bill today.  It is full of citations from overwhelmingly anti-gun organizations and media outlets, not to mention a bullet list of all the notorious mass shooting of the last decade or so in which a background check was done or would not have mattered.

God help us all when the Dems take total control in two to four years.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Thanks 1