Broward County Sheriff Facing Consequences from Failed Parkland Response

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-governor-suspends-broward-county-sheriff-scott-israel-sources-say

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' office on Tuesday denied that the governor officially suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, following reports of the sheriff's imminent removal.

A spokesperson for DeSantis told Fox News that no one from the governor's team has had any contact with Israel or his attorneys and have not communicated to him that he'll soon be suspended.

On Wikipedia:

On January 8th, 2019, Israel was suspended from office by Governor Ron DeSantis.

Who knows?

I wonder what the procedure is for removing an elected Sheriff?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Who knows?

The police chief typically reports to the city/county mayor, so the state governor wouldn't directly fire a city police chief.  However, the governor can lean hard on the mayor to do so. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Who knows?

This article from earlier in the year describes the pressure that was being put on former Governor Scott to remove Israel and mentions the statute that covers the power of the Governor to do so and prior removals he has made.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/02/26/uncharted-territory-could-rick-scott-suspend-the-broward-sheriff/

Here is the statute in question. 

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0100-0199/0112/Sections/0112.51.html

So the governor can suspend him, at which point the Senate would have to review that removal and either make that removal permanent or reinstate him. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

The police chief typically reports to the city/county mayor, so the state governor wouldn't directly fire a city police chief.  However, the governor can lean hard on the mayor to do so. 

He isn't the Police Chief; he is the Sheriff. Police Chiefs are generally appointed; Sheriffs are generally elected by the people.

The Blaze isn't exactly a fake news site, in that they don't totally manufacture all their stories, but they selectively report and omit facts that skew their stories.  Media Bias Fact Check (medibiasfactcheck.com) is a great source for checking the reliability of various information sources.  They call it pretty much as they see it, right or left, and they explain their reasons so you can decide if you agree they are valid.  They rate the Blaze as "extreme right" with a "mixed" record on factual reporting.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Whisper said:

The Blaze isn't exactly a fake news site, in that they don't totally manufacture all their stories, but they selectively report and omit facts that skew their stories.  Media Bias Fact Check (medibiasfactcheck.com) is a great source for checking the reliability of various information sources.  They call it pretty much as they see it, right or left, and they explain their reasons so you can decide if you agree they are valid.  They rate the Blaze as "extreme right" with a "mixed" record on factual reporting.

You just have to seek out information and try to come to the best conclusion that you can in today's media.  That's like CNN and MSNBC being far left.  You have to add Fox in there to try to get some middle ground conclusions.  Unfortunately, that's the new media world in which we live.  I can say that I have followed the Blaze for a long time and I have found when they get it wrong, they admit it, and print a correction.  Of course opinion pieces are going to be a different story.  If you want a left opinion, read CNN or MSNBC.  If you want a right opinion, read Fox.  That's just all they are - opinions - in those cases.

24 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So…there was no one in BSO or even any law enforcement people that live in Broward County that could fill this position until an election can be held? That has to be a blow to morale.

Coral Springs, the PD of which the newly appointed Sheriff is retired from, is in Broward County.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I would also imagine that due to Israel‘s leadership, and the manner in which the BCSO acted during these incidents that the entire organization is viewed as being compromised and in need of outside leadership and reform. 

I recall stories that emerged after the shooting that he/the department were perhaps a bit political and maybe too soft on juvenile delinquents 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
16 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I recall stories that emerged after the shooting that he/the department were perhaps a bit political and maybe too soft on juvenile delinquents 

I also don’t think it was accidental that the person chosen as interim Sherriff came from the dept that ignored BCSO direction and immediately took positive action upon arrival. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

Coral Springs, the PD of which the newly appointed Sheriff is retired from, is in Broward County.

He has an apartment in Boca Raton (Palm Beach County) and a residence in Greenville SC. He didn’t retire; he did 12 years on Coral Springs PD and quit to run his own business doing active shooter training.

It just appears to me that his choice for a Sheriff of a department with 5400 employees was more about politics than it was about law enforcement.

13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I would also imagine that due to Israel‘s leadership, and the manner in which the BCSO acted during these incidents that the entire organization is viewed as being compromised and in need of outside leadership and reform. 

That may be the perception, but its non-sense. (In my opinion without knowing much about BSO now) Israel was only there 5 years. The top three Command Officers shown here have around 30 years each experience in Broward County. (The rest don’t list any information)

https://www.sheriff.org/Administration/Pages/Executive-Command-Staff.aspx

I just don’t feel good about a politician taking out an elected official that is not accused of or charged with a crime. They should have to impeach him.

I also can’t blame a Sheriff because a deputy is a coward. I’ve seen it happen with cops that I know with absolute certainty weren’t trained that way. It’s easy for people that have never worked as a Police Officer to jump to the conclusion he wasn’t properly trained. I guess that’s possible, but I find that hard to believe. I’d be curious to hear the comments of other BSO deputies on that. Of course we won’t hear that because the only ones that will talk are the ones that aren’t employed there anymore.

But surprisingly; no one from Florida checked with me before they did this.