Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
volshayes

Broward County Sheriff Facing Consequences from Failed Parkland Response

Recommended Posts

Well deserved.  There are others from the department who should also be unemployed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from the blaze, I don’t trust it. When it hits mainstream media then it might be true. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-governor-suspends-broward-county-sheriff-scott-israel-sources-say

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' office on Tuesday denied that the governor officially suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, following reports of the sheriff's imminent removal.

A spokesperson for DeSantis told Fox News that no one from the governor's team has had any contact with Israel or his attorneys and have not communicated to him that he'll soon be suspended.

 

Quote

 

On Wikipedia:

On January 8th, 2019, Israel was suspended from office by Governor Ron DeSantis.

 

Who knows?

I wonder what the procedure is for removing an elected Sheriff?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

 

Who knows?

I wonder what the procedure is for removing an elected Sheriff?

 

The police chief typically reports to the city/county mayor, so the state governor wouldn't directly fire a city police chief.  However, the governor can lean hard on the mayor to do so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually have to have a recall vote to remove an elected official. Florida law may be different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

 

Who knows?

I wonder what the procedure is for removing an elected Sheriff?

 

This article from earlier in the year describes the pressure that was being put on former Governor Scott to remove Israel and mentions the statute that covers the power of the Governor to do so and prior removals he has made.

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/02/26/uncharted-territory-could-rick-scott-suspend-the-broward-sheriff/

Here is the statute in question. 

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0100-0199/0112/Sections/0112.51.html

So the governor can suspend him, at which point the Senate would have to review that removal and either make that removal permanent or reinstate him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peejman said:

The police chief typically reports to the city/county mayor, so the state governor wouldn't directly fire a city police chief.  However, the governor can lean hard on the mayor to do so. 

He isn't the Police Chief; he is the Sheriff. Police Chiefs are generally appointed; Sheriffs are generally elected by the people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

So the governor can suspend him, at which point the Senate would have to review that removal and either make that removal permanent or reinstate him. 

Could get interesting then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know Florida laws, but here in Tennessee, Sheriffs are typically removed right after their first felony conviction ...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Could get interesting then. 

Eh, it could, but I can’t imagine it being reversed by the senate. I also can’t imagine him staying past the next election either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dralarms said:

Coming from the blaze, I don’t trust it. When it hits mainstream media then it might be true. 

I believe just the reverse.  Just my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, volshayes said:

I believe just the reverse.  Just my opinion.

Well you got me there, but the blaze is mostly known for making stuff up. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dralarms said:

Well you got me there, but the blaze is mostly known for making stuff up. 

I would like to know about that.  What stories have they misrepresented?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blaze isn't exactly a fake news site, in that they don't totally manufacture all their stories, but they selectively report and omit facts that skew their stories.  Media Bias Fact Check (medibiasfactcheck.com) is a great source for checking the reliability of various information sources.  They call it pretty much as they see it, right or left, and they explain their reasons so you can decide if you agree they are valid.  They rate the Blaze as "extreme right" with a "mixed" record on factual reporting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Whisper said:

The Blaze isn't exactly a fake news site, in that they don't totally manufacture all their stories, but they selectively report and omit facts that skew their stories.  Media Bias Fact Check (medibiasfactcheck.com) is a great source for checking the reliability of various information sources.  They call it pretty much as they see it, right or left, and they explain their reasons so you can decide if you agree they are valid.  They rate the Blaze as "extreme right" with a "mixed" record on factual reporting.

You just have to seek out information and try to come to the best conclusion that you can in today's media.  That's like CNN and MSNBC being far left.  You have to add Fox in there to try to get some middle ground conclusions.  Unfortunately, that's the new media world in which we live.  I can say that I have followed the Blaze for a long time and I have found when they get it wrong, they admit it, and print a correction.  Of course opinion pieces are going to be a different story.  If you want a left opinion, read CNN or MSNBC.  If you want a right opinion, read Fox.  That's just all they are - opinions - in those cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So…there was no one in BSO or even any law enforcement people that live in Broward County that could fill this position until an election can be held? That has to be a blow to morale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So…there was no one in BSO or even any law enforcement people that live in Broward County that could fill this position until an election can be held? That has to be a blow to morale.

Coral Springs, the PD of which the newly appointed Sheriff is retired from, is in Broward County.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I would also imagine that due to Israel‘s leadership, and the manner in which the BCSO acted during these incidents that the entire organization is viewed as being compromised and in need of outside leadership and reform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

 I would also imagine that due to Israel‘s leadership, and the manner in which the BCSO acted during these incidents that the entire organization is viewed as being compromised and in need of outside leadership and reform. 

I recall stories that emerged after the shooting that he/the department were perhaps a bit political and maybe too soft on juvenile delinquents 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I recall stories that emerged after the shooting that he/the department were perhaps a bit political and maybe too soft on juvenile delinquents 

I also don’t think it was accidental that the person chosen as interim Sherriff came from the dept that ignored BCSO direction and immediately took positive action upon arrival. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

Coral Springs, the PD of which the newly appointed Sheriff is retired from, is in Broward County.

He has an apartment in Boca Raton (Palm Beach County) and a residence in Greenville SC. He didn’t retire; he did 12 years on Coral Springs PD and quit to run his own business doing active shooter training.

It just appears to me that his choice for a Sheriff of a department with 5400 employees was more about politics than it was about law enforcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

 I would also imagine that due to Israel‘s leadership, and the manner in which the BCSO acted during these incidents that the entire organization is viewed as being compromised and in need of outside leadership and reform. 

That may be the perception, but its non-sense. (In my opinion without knowing much about BSO now) Israel was only there 5 years. The top three Command Officers shown here have around 30 years each experience in Broward County. (The rest don’t list any information)

https://www.sheriff.org/Administration/Pages/Executive-Command-Staff.aspx

I just don’t feel good about a politician taking out an elected official that is not accused of or charged with a crime. They should have to impeach him.

I also can’t blame a Sheriff because a deputy is a coward. I’ve seen it happen with cops that I know with absolute certainty weren’t trained that way. It’s easy for people that have never worked as a Police Officer to jump to the conclusion he wasn’t properly trained. I guess that’s possible, but I find that hard to believe. I’d be curious to hear the comments of other BSO deputies on that. Of course we won’t hear that because the only ones that will talk are the ones that aren’t employed there anymore.

But surprisingly; no one from Florida checked with me before they did this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines