FN’s New 15-Round FN 509 Midsize

TGO David

• Administrator

FN America has announced that the 509 family has expanded to include the new 15-round FN 509 Midsize as well as a black 509 Tactical.  The Midsize is dimensionally similar to the Glock 19.

image.thumb.png.bf8a2f116223a1a19c676789

FN 509 Midsize Specs:

• CALIBER: 9mm
  • OPERATION: Double-action
  • MAG CAPACITY: 10 or 15 Rd.
  • WEIGHT: 26.5 oz.
  • BARREL LENGTH: 4.0-inches
  • OVERALL LENGTH: 7.4-inches
  • TWIST RATE: 1:10 RH
  • HEIGHT: 5.2-inches
  • WIDTH: 1.35-inches
  • TRIGGER PULL: 5.5 – 7.5 lb.
  • SIGHT RADIUS: 5.79-inches

Check back with me sometime next week.  I'll be able to offer some first-hand thoughts on it, as I have one on the way.  :)

• Like 4

Grip texture on the FNS starts getting to me after 6 or 7 magazines. Only other gripe I have on mine is the take down lever pin gets warms obviously but it’s where my index finger sits when I’m in between shots. Looks like I might change over to the 509. I do like my 17+1 though. 

Love my FNS9!!!  Best pistol I own.  I thought it was similar in size to the Glock 19, except for the grip.  Dimensionally the FNS and 509 are pretty much the same I think.  A lot of the changes appear to be cosmetic. Not sure why the mag capacity dropped to 15, though.

I'd like to pick up a FNS 9C at some point.  That might actually be my new carry piece, if I do.

Edited by Moped

FN's were my favorite, until I saw the inconsistency in accuracy among units. You could have two of the same exact model, and one would drive tacks, the other would look like you were patterning a shotgun. You never knew what you were getting.

I've owned three. One was dead accurate. The others, not so much.

Edited by Steelharp
My inner grammar/spelling Nazi. lol
2 hours ago, Steelharp said:

FN's were my favorite, until I saw the inconsistency in accuracy among units. You could have two of the same exact model, and one would drive tacks, the other would look like you were patterning a shotgun. You never know what you were getting.

Stick to CZs and PPQs. lol

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Steelharp said:

FN's were my favorite, until I saw the inconsistency in accuracy among units. You could have two of the same exact model, and one would drive tacks, the other would look like you were patterning a shotgun. You never knew what you were getting.

I must have one of the accurate ones!!! :)

• Like 2

I was happy to see they now offer the 509T in black. Would be nice to get my FNX45T a little bro.

I imagine like any production gun, luck of the draw applies. Happy to say my FNX is a tack driver with a surprising good trigger.

1 hour ago, Erich said:

I was happy to see they now offer the 509T in black. Would be nice to get my FNX45T a little bro.

I imagine like any production gun, luck of the draw applies. Happy to say my FNX is a tack driver with a surprising good trigger.

I imagine the gun is the one getting the short end of the stick when it comes to the accuracy equation 😁 (I know this is true when I'm behind the trigger) 

• Like 1

I just sold my FNS which was great but the trigger was 7.5 lbs,too stiff for me and this one also is 7.5#s..Deal killer for me.

CZs are under 400 bucks now,I find them to be top of the food chain so Ill stick with them for a while,3.5# triggers too

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Like 2
On 1/10/2019 at 6:18 AM, Moped said:

Love my FNS9!!!  Best pistol I own.  I thought it was similar in size to the Glock 19, except for the grip.  Dimensionally the FNS and 509 are pretty much the same I think.  A lot of the changes appear to be cosmetic. Not sure why the mag capacity dropped to 15, though.

I'd like to pick up a FNS 9C at some point.  That might actually be my new carry piece, if I do.

I own an FNP45, FNX9 and an FNS9c. All are more accurate than I am. I was surprised how well I shot the compact. It goes with me everywhere in an IWB holster. I did however just get a Sig p365 for pocket carry for times that I don't carry IWB for some reason. Haven't shot it yet but like the size. Love my FN pistols. Coveting the FNS 509 tactical at the moment.

• Like 1

Think I have too may 9mm pistols already, so probably wont go after this one.  I do love my FNP-45USG though.  Shoots anything i put in it, and way better than I do.  Even likes that cheap Russian ammo, lol.  As I age, though, I find that my fat body just doesnt carry the extra weight these days...New daily carry is my Sig P-365 and the S&W Bodyguard .380.  I can carry both of these  easier than I carried the FN with extra mags...

• Administrator

Initial thoughts:

▪️Grip texturing is great! I like how they used different textures for different parts of the grip. It's as if they spent some time thinking about it rather than just smearing the same texture all over. 😉

▪️It really is the same size as Glock 19 or an M&P M2.0 9mm Compact and, for me, that is a good thing. With the larger of the two backstraps installed, as it came from the factory, the grip profile has a soft curve that a cover garment should drape across more gracefully and not be as "identifiable" as is with a Glock 19.

▪️The mag release on the 509M is easy to manipulate but not so easy that it could happen accidentally.

▪️Deep undercut on the trigger guard allows you to get a good, high grip on it. The polymer there has a super-fine texture that shouldn't agitate anyone but I may polish it to a mirror at some point. I prefer an undercut that is as smooth as glass.

▪️The stock sights are steel, which is good, but I prefer a very prominent front dot and no, or subdued, rear dots with a U-notch. I have a set of Trijicon HD sights on the way.

▪️The barrel is crowned, which is nice to see. I also noticed that the final half-inch (approximate) of the barrel right before the muzzle is a thousandth of an inch or so larger in circumference than the rest of the barrel's length. I assume this aids in accuracy much the way a bull-barrel in a 1911 does by providing a snug fit between the barrel's terminus and the portal that it passes through in the end of the slide.

▪️The slide release lever is a piece of cake to manipulate with either hand, unlike the M&P M2.0. The extractor is a monster and looks hella stout. The slide serrations, fore and aft, are perfect and exactly what I prefer on a fighting gun.

▪️The trigger is NOT BAD AT ALL! It's a bit heavy but seems to be lightening up and smoothing out a little as I dry fire it. I'll put a trigger gauge on it tomorrow. Wish I'd done that before dry firing it a hundred or so times, for comparison. Whoopsie.

I doubt seriously that I will swap the trigger out for an Apex part. The OEM trigger seems just fine for me.

• Like 5
  • Administrator

i-vL9jMTR-XL.jpg

OK, so we've been here before.  I admit it.  Every so often, someone will release a mid-size 9mm handgun with dimensions somewhat approximate to those of a Glock 19 and I will buy it and then tell you all that it's worth your time and attention.  On a few occasions, even, my opinion of the firearm hasn't deteriorated over time.  I still love my M&P M2.0 Compacts, for example.

But eventually and inevitably my attention wanders back to the Glock 19.  I have carried it or the Glock 23 for over 20 years now and it would be impossible and foolish for me to be dismissive of the experience with and familiarity with that platform.  I can index a target with the Glock 19 as naturally as I could point at it with my finger.

So, why do I keep doing picking up the next "Glock Killer" every time one is released?  Enter the new FN Herstal 509 Midsize, or 509M as they're calling it for short.

I took a chance on it sight-unseen.  I had never held the full-size 509 and had only fondled a FNX-45 Tactical on a few occasions in gun stores.  There really is no comparison in size or feel between the FNX-45 and the 509, but that's really as close as I had come.  But, some friends of mine prodded me toward the 509M because of how well they liked their full-size 509's and I took a chance.

I'm glad I did.

The 509M seems like a perfect marriage of the best elements of some of my favorite guns:

-- The slide's serrations and top rib remind me of the HK VP9 as does the profile of the picatinny rail on the dust cover.  The slide's heavily beveled face reminds me of an HK P2000. 

-- The trigger shoe feels like a fatter, wider, smoother M&P trigger and the crisp break and short, pronounced reset remind me of a Glock Gen 5.

-- The grip's backstrap and front strap remind me of a CZ P-10C and the flat side panels remind me of a Polymer 80 that's been worked over by a skilled stippling artist.

-- And of course it is virtually the same length, width, height and weight as the Glock 19.

I am honestly very, very excited about this gun.  Far more than I thought I would be.  I purchased it for right at $500 and initially thought that I would just flip it for a wash or maybe a small profit if I didn't like it.  Most of them are selling for $550 online at the moment, but you can still find them for a hair over $500 if you search and aren't slow on the "BUY NOW" button when you luck into one at that price.

I know that I say this every time, but this stands a good chance of relegating the Glock 19 to the safe.  Well, for at least part of the time.  ;)

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
  • Administrator

This gun is quickly becoming a favorite of mine for concealed carry...

i-VcNGWKG-X2.jpg

The factory trigger is NOT bad, but when I saw Scott Faulk @ Apex Tactical start talking about the shorter travel and reset with 5.5lb trigger weight of their flat-faced trigger, trigger bar, and sear kit... I knew I wanted to get my hands on one to sample for myself.   I got the chance last week at the NRA Annual Meeting in Indy.

Obviously, I was a fan. :)

You definitely want to buy or borrow the Apex FN 509 trigger-pin jig if you are going to do this swap.  It makes removing the trigger pin a piece of cake.

The 509's sear design is fairly ingenious but has quite a few small parts.  Apex thankfully has a few really good videos on disassembly and reassembly of the 509, so the job wasn't difficult at all.

Just after I took this photo, I swapped the backstrap shown for the flat backstrap that comes with the 509 Midsize.  Even better!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, NickinTN said:

Still haven't been able to put my hands on one of these! Looks sweet!

It's really a favorite of mine now.  I'd be interested in hearing what you think about it when you get your hands on one.

• Like 1