Drill Press Advice

tacops

My Delta DP250 10 inch bench top drill press went toes up.  A 10 inch bench top suits my needs just fine and I don't use one enough to warrant a high end DP.  Does anyone have any suggestions/experience with any of the currently marketed units.  I have spent way too much time reading conflicting reviews of various models.  Thanks 

I used this for a while, but wanted a self standing model so I sold it, but for a light benchtop drill press, it was fine.  I agree with the one review that the motor could be stronger overall, but it drilled through anything I needed.  I also have a mill, so I didn't use it for metal.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-4214-12-Inch-Variable-Speed/dp/B00HQONFY6

Adding: If I was to buy a desktop model today and was willing to spend the money, I would go for something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-716200-Jdp-15B-Bench-Drill/dp/B01C9TW88Q/ref=asc_df_B01C9TW88Q/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309813767497&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12686838416077142355&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013636&hvtargid=pla-569156788041&psc=1

Reason being is the table size and flexibility and a better motor.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I bought one off Amazon a few years ago, floor model. Cheaper than HF. It was made in China as well. It has worked good. When I received it I checked to make sure the table was square with the quill and it was. It's not in constant use, but use it pretty often. I guess they all use a taper quill so using it like a milling machine is out, the whole chuck will come loose! I would bet that even the name brands, Delta, Craftsman or whoever are all made in China these days unless you spring for one of their higher end models. Getting one that will make square holes is the key, ha!

Edited by seez52

Thanks for the input folks.  I have been looking at all that are mentioned.  It seems that stores don't keep them in stock and on display so you can look at hands on, you have to order and find out what you have after purchase so to speak.  My DP250 was a variable speed unit and has been discontinued.  The pulley that disintegrated can be had for $189 dollars which is more than the DP cost and as it turns out, was a known weakness in them.  I have also been watching Craigslist for any older ones of good quality but none have been listed.  From all the reviews I have read it seems that nearly all of them are a hit or miss roll of the dice unless you drop a lot of cash.

4 hours ago, tacops said:

Thanks for the input folks.  I have been looking at all that are mentioned.  It seems that stores don't keep them in stock and on display so you can look at hands on, you have to order and find out what you have after purchase so to speak.  My DP250 was a variable speed unit and has been discontinued.  The pulley that disintegrated can be had for $189 dollars which is more than the DP cost and as it turns out, was a known weakness in them.  I have also been watching Craigslist for any older ones of good quality but none have been listed.  From all the reviews I have read it seems that nearly all of them are a hit or miss roll of the dice unless you drop a lot of cash.

Got a part number or something on that pulley? Maybe we can come up with a part

It seems that this aluminum pulley was the common fail point on these machines. 

The below pulley is also used on the DP350 

A08514__04102.1521824922.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Motor Pulley Part Number: A08514  which is the replacement for the 904166

Retaining Ring Part Number: 904160

Set Screw Part Number: 1243339

4 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Got a part number or something on that pulley? Maybe we can come up with a part

I appreciate the offer and the effort.  Other than this pulley issue this has been a good machine.  I was able to fix it once by drilling and re-tapping a set screw port.  This time the pulley came out in pieces...I'm glad it had a metal housing enclosure around the pulleys rather than the plastic housing a lot have now.  I don't need anymore metal in me.  I went to Lowe's and HF today and was able to look at a 10 inch Porter Cable (5 speed with 600 being the slowest, better build quality than HF but just not quite there).  Went to HF and looked at the 8 inch and 10 inch Central Machinery units.  The 8 inch had broken plastic parts sitting on the display shelf.  The 10 inch had 1/16 inch or more of lateral movement in the arbor when lowered, among other things.  I just couldn't bring myself to pop on either.  Went by HD and they had a Ryobi 10 inch sitting on the shelf with a broken plastic stop rod collar.  I may just have to start hitting estate sales in search of drill press gold.  In the mean time I guess I will be using a vice and hand drill.

I apologize to all for my verbose drill press drama.

1 hour ago, tacops said:

It seems that this aluminum pulley was the common fail point on these machines. 

The below pulley is also used on the DP350 

A08514__04102.1521824922.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Motor Pulley Part Number: A08514  which is the replacement for the 904166

Retaining Ring Part Number: 904160

Set Screw Part Number: 1243339

I can't see if in stock, but here is an option

A08514 $67.00

http://www.renovoparts.com/a08514-motor-pulley/

904160 $0.99

http://www.renovoparts.com/904160-retaining-ring/

1243339 $2.50

http://www.renovoparts.com/1243339-m6x8-set-screw/

Might also see if any of these might work:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113543964097

Or this. I am not sure of diameter or bore size on yours.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153188339950

Just some options. I did see a few people that bought close parts and adjusted the bore size up to fit.

The pulley is not currently available at Renovo and listed as discontinued.  I am now looking at other pulleys trying to find something close that may be modified.  As I dig deeper into the web I find where many others had the same problem and a few were able to modify parts they had found.  I appreciate you taking the interest and your effort to seek parts.

I'll sell you this one for $75.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-Drill-Press-with-Laser-DP103L/205503636

A friend of mine bought it to do 80% AR lowers and the first one got away from him on the deck. It put a slight bend in the chuck shaft. I bought a brand new chuck & shaft but never had time to R&R the new shaft in. There is no damage to the shaft bearings, they are smooth and true. Other than the shaft, its in like new condition.  I'm 10 minutes off I-40 exit 322.  I have a floor model that I'v had for nearly 30 years so this little guy is just laying around.

10 hours ago, tacops said:

The pulley is not currently available at Renovo and listed as discontinued.  I am now looking at other pulleys trying to find something close that may be modified.  As I dig deeper into the web I find where many others had the same problem and a few were able to modify parts they had found.  I appreciate you taking the interest and your effort to seek parts.

Glad to help. I hate times like this where you would think someone woukd make a generic replacement. With cnc setups you could almost just cut them as ordered. 

On 1/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, DaveTN said:

I have a Craftsman. I don’t use it a lot, but I’ve had it for years and it’s always done the job. It seems well made for a low cost drill press.

Same here. Don't use mine a lot either. Had it for a while, but Craftsman usually make good stuff.

Xtriggerman - I really appreciate the offer, it is very generous.  I looked at the 10 inch Ryobi at HD and decided to keep looking.  It is probably as good if not better than some others but I think I will wrestle this pig for a bit.  Thanks.

Ronald55  - I really appreciate your efforts.  If they make parts available I guess they wouldn't sell near as many units.  

Grunt67 - In light of recent developments with Sears, there is no Sears anywhere near me that has these on display.  Lowes and Ace are selling Craftsman products but don't stock drill presses.  I am Old School and want to walk in and look at the product before I buy, but those days seem to be going away.  Craftsman makes one that I think I like but I wanted to actually see it first.  I guess we as a society are killing the brick and mortar stores with the on-line purchases. 

10 hours ago, tacops said:

Xtriggerman - I really appreciate the offer, it is very generous.  I looked at the 10 inch Ryobi at HD and decided to keep looking.  It is probably as good if not better than some others but I think I will wrestle this pig for a bit.  Thanks.

Ronald55  - I really appreciate your efforts.  If they make parts available I guess they wouldn't sell near as many units.  

Grunt67 - In light of recent developments with Sears, there is no Sears anywhere near me that has these on display.  Lowes and Ace are selling Craftsman products but don't stock drill presses.  I am Old School and want to walk in and look at the product before I buy, but those days seem to be going away.  Craftsman makes one that I think I like but I wanted to actually see it first.  I guess we as a society are killing the brick and mortar stores with the on-line purchases. 

If you have an Ace Hardware nearby try them.  The one near me always seems to have the small Craftsman drill presses on display.  Also check Northern Tool.

1 hour ago, gjohnsoniv said:

If you have an Ace Hardware nearby try them.  The one near me always seems to have the small Craftsman drill presses on display.  Also check Northern Tool.

I've been to two Ace locations but they did not have any in stock or on display.  Northern is a pretty good distance from me but I plan to try to get over there to see what they have to offer.  Tractor Supply and Rural King were no gos as well.

I managed to complete my current project today with a hand drill and vice with reasonable success.  I now have a little time to find parts, modify parts or buy a replacement.  I appreciate all the suggestions and input from board members.  This is why I like TGO, I got a lot of good suggestions and input and no smart--- remarks.

If I can't fix mine or stumble into an older American made unit in good shape or restore-able I will probably go with a Craftsman or WEN 4212 like Hozzie, DaveTN and Grunt67 spoke of.  They were top of my list from what I researched at a price point I wanted to pay.  I was just trying to look at them in person before purchase but no one near me seems to have either on display.  I my just have to order and pick up at store in case return is required.  Thanks to all.

1 hour ago, gjohnsoniv said:

I see you are in the Knoxville area, which Ace Hardware did you see them displayed in?  I may have to make a run to K-Town.