steamnsteel

Culver's 9113 Kingston Pike Knoxville.

Stopped in here today for a quick bite, the girl at the counter informed me after I had made the order for my son and I  that I would have to put my firearm in the car or cover it up. We politely debated the issue and since my son was hungry I covered my firearm. When about to sit down the Owner/Manager Ron came out and told me that I had to leave or put my "weapon " in the car, I then politely stated the reasons why I would not just place my hand gun in the car and walk back in. A lively discussion was had with me telling him that I would just leave and not come back, I also informed him that if he did not want anyone carrying that he should post his door and w would not be standing and wasting each others time. His reasons are that the kids and parents complain, his lawyer told him that he did not have to post. I asked if he realized just how much gets carried in without him knowing and he did not have a real answer to this question, I asked him how he would handle a situation where someone complained of the way someone dressed and he replied with "I would ask them to leave or pull there pants up that this is a family place to eat. I also told him that I have been in other Culver's around the country and never had any problem. Ron was also telling me that he has had this same discussion with someone else in the last week, I understand that this person left after discussing the same points that I did. 

I called corporate to ask of their policy, all of the Culver's are privately owned and do not have to follow any policy according to the Woman on the phone. I left my contact number and then Ron called my cell to discuss even more, very long discussion from a transplant that that thinks gun laws are too liberal. I politely informed him over the phone that there would be no further business from me, my son or anyone else that I know. His closing statement, "please come by and see us". 

During this whole process I felt the pressure of being dragged or baited into a confrontational argument.

Have a good evening folks.

Culver's 9113 Kingston Pike Knoxville Tn.

Edited by steamnsteel
Grammar

Just one more reason why I carry concealed everywhere I go.

• Like 10

I’ve been to Culver’s in other states and have not yet been to the one in Knoxville.  I was planning on taking the family there, they won’t be getting any of my money now. 

I doubt the owner cares.

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 1

I echo WFM.  IMO, SnS you do more to hurt 'the cause' than to promote the firearms agenda.  If you want to OC in public places, your business, but still creates a negative response by most.  On private property, it is the owners prerogative.  Now you have possibly caused a business to be posted rather than going quietly on your way.  The effect now if posted, those who CC will be in violation of the law, whether charged or not.  In more ways than one, who have created a win for the other side.

• Like 11

Chik-fil-a part 2: Electric Bugaloo :rolleyes:.

Why in the world would anyone argue this? Would you like someone coming into your business or home and arguing over what you deem acceptable? Just comply or leave, anything else just makes us all look bad IMO.

• Like 6

I would have asked to speak to the MOD,s boss, owner, or who ever is over the MOD,s head.

MOD = manger on duty

If I was in the situation I would have just politely placed my food back on the counter and requested a refund.  No argument from me, just wouldn't have left my money there, so many other places, much better places, to get food.

I have, so far, never been asked to leave, though most times I CC.  But I have been in establishments where I discovered a sign after going in, I asked to see the manager and politely asked their policy.  If an establishment wants to ban guns, no problem, I just leave and never return.  Some have removed said sign and told me it was just a left over sign and not current policy, others have just said nobody there would say anything, wink-wink. 

• Like 2

Went to a Toyota dealership once.  Met sales guy in the lot, we talked about a car, he volunteered to let me take test drive, went inside to make photocopy of my license and get plate for the car, and we went for a drive.  When we came back he offered to run some numbers for me.  As we started to go inside, I pointed out the "no guns" sign on the door.  Told the guy I was interested in the car but was carrying concealed, and thus couldn't go inside the dealership.  He assured me it would be fine for me to come inside, he was a gun owner himself, no one would care, etc.  I told him that was all fine but that I wasn't going to violate the law, and I asked if the owners really wanted to drive customers away with a sign like that.  He didn't have a good answer.  I left, and the next time I went back, the sign had disappeared, just like magic.

Edited by Whisper
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, chances R said:

I echo WFM.  IMO, SnS you do more to hurt 'the cause' than to promote the firearms agenda.  If you want to OC in public places, your business, but still creates a negative response by most.  On private property, it is the owners prerogative.  Now you have possibly caused a business to be posted rather than going quietly on your way.  The effect now if posted, those who CC will be in violation of the law, whether charged or not.  In more ways than one, who have created a win for the other side.

I tend to agree.  I think the OP was actually the party in the wrong here.   As much as I think its important for us to be able to carry, I think its equally important that we respect the wishes of privately owned places we visit.  They made their stance clear.   That should have been the end of it.  

• Like 7

That place is right up the road from my house and I CC in there all the time. Now, I'm sure it will be posted the next time I go in. Thanks.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, M1_Garand said:

That place is right up the road from my house and I CC in there all the time. Now, I'm sure it will be posted the next time I go in. Thanks.

Not an argument, but why would you knowingly give money to a business that doesn't want "your kind" there? 

• Thanks 1

I honestly don't think gun owners are a "kind" that's a bit of an us vs them mentality like the medical marijuana debate or the loonies who don't vaccinate their kids (hey if you want your kids to die that's your prerogative).  In someone elses home or business I think you should respect their wishes and not cause undue discomfort to anyone else as then you are saying your opinion is the only one that matters which is not your right in that situation.  Personally I just conceal carry wherever I go...too many other things to be concerned with and especially when I am eating I just want to be left alone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I honestly don't think gun owners are a "kind" that's a bit of an us vs them mentality like the medical marijuana debate or the loonies who don't vaccinate their kids (hey if you want your kids to die that's your prerogative).  In someone elses home or business I think you should respect their wishes and not cause undue discomfort to anyone else as then you are saying your opinion is the only one that matters which is not your right in that situation.  Personally I just conceal carry wherever I go...too many other things to be concerned with and especially when I am eating I just want to be left alone.

Right, I will not cause a disturbance, I will just refuse to do business with any who do not want me there.  Let's face it, it really is an us vs them, but the "them" could possibly be uninformed people or ones that have to toe the corporate line.  I CC when I can (I work on base), but since TN makes it a crime to CC in posted businesses, it is imperative that I stay out of them.  As a law abiding gun owner, I try and not break the law, even if I believe it is a stupid law. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Omega said:

Right, I will not cause a disturbance, I will just refuse to do business with any who do not want me there.  Let's face it, it really is an us vs them, but the "them" could possibly be uninformed people or ones that have to toe the corporate line.  I CC when I can (I work on base), but since TN makes it a crime to CC in posted businesses, it is imperative that I stay out of them.  As a law abiding gun owner, I try and not break the law, even if I believe it is a stupid law. 

How do you feel about your employer (the military I assume since you said on base) not allowing you to personally have a firearm?  Just curious.

50 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

How do you feel about your employer (the military I assume since you said on base) not allowing you to personally have a firearm?  Just curious.

The same, except there is not much I can do about the federal government.  But, we do have our own guard force manning the gates, with an extra ID needed to get into our compound.

I have spoken to the command to see if we could maybe get some lockboxes in which we could lock our EDC in while we are at work, but too much red tape ATM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega said:

Not an argument, but why would you knowingly give money to a business that doesn't want "your kind" there? 

Well, it wasn't posted so I assumed they didn't care. If they continue not to post, then I don't have a problem eating there.

I do have a problem with someone going in armed, not respecting the property owners rights asking them leave, and then getting the place posted as a result.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Garufa said:

So how’s the food at Culver’s?  

Just so so.  The "concrete mixers" are similar to a DQ blizzard which I prefer.  Soft serve ice cream with the usual variety of flavors or additives like M&M's, snickers, etc.  Love DQ blizzards on a hot summer afternoon.  

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I went once to the local one here in Clarksville, it was ok but nothing to right home about.  It was packed, but I think it was because it was new.  Sort of comparable to a Steak & Shake or Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers, my preference.

10 hours ago, Garufa said:

One of the best fast food burger joints out there IMO. Hands down better than Backyard, McDonalds, Wendy's Jack, etc. They make fresh frozen custard, which just beats the pans off of soft serve. They have their own brand of root beer too thats very good. They're one of only a handful of places that makes a better burger than I do at home.

• Like 1

Culver's food is very good.  Butter Burgers and a great fish sandwich.  And the custard is very good.  Been eating at Culver's since first seeing them in the Midwest while traveling.  The cheese curds are also very good.

Edited by A516
  • Like 1

Culver's is like what steak and shake would be with Chick Fil A's cleanliness and attention to detail and customer service....its quite good.

• Like 1

My oldest is a cheeseburger fanatic. I'll have to keep this place in mind.  

On 1/24/2019 at 4:22 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

Lockboxes would be a good idea but at least you do have armed protection on site unlike 99% of businesses.

That didn't work so well at Ft. Hood in '09.

- OS

• Like 1