Question about selling "pre-ban" G 17 Mags

Disclaimer: This is not an for sale ad.

I promise I would only sell through TGO but listing appropriately. I actually read the stickies! :)

The above stated, I have a few Pre-Clinton era ban Glock 17 NDF (Non-Drop Free) 9mm magazines I ran across when cleaning my basement a few weeks ago.

I've used them in range training and several classes over the years and they run great... just gotta "rip them out". No biggie... but as I have a "few" G-mags I thought I'd sell these, probably on Gunbroker.

Do any of you have any first hand experience or knowledge as to restrictions when selling these online if the buyer is in another state? Any links to trusted information would be greatly appreciated. There's lots of interweb conjecture available... but I'm challenged at finding reliable factual info. I am a professed technotard!

For some reason I actually trust you folks. 😕

G17 NDF 1.jpg

• Moderators

Those magazines used to be worth quite a bit. I haven't looked in a long time. CA, NJ, MA, etc have passed so many things about 10 round or less who really knows. I definitely would have to look at the laws. 

I personally wouldn't ship to a few states. At this stage in my life I don't need the worry. 

• Like 2

Pardon me, but I'm old , senile, and don't have a clue about these. A "Non-Drop Free" magazine for the Glocks?

I can't say I was ever aware of these. Was this style/adaptation a requirement for some LEO group or contract?

Why would you want a mag that didn't drop? Serious question here.

16 minutes ago, hipower said:

Pardon me, but I'm old , senile, and don't have a clue about these. A "Non-Drop Free" magazine for the Glocks?

I can't say I was ever aware of these. Was this style/adaptation a requirement for some LEO group or contract?

Gen 2 Glock mags were not drop free.  You had to pull them out.

25 minutes ago, hipower said:

Thanks for the replies and advice folks. I'll tread cautiously. 

hipower.

It's my understanding, and I trust I'll be corrected if I'm wrong...

When Glock first introduced their handguns onto the world, a primary aim was towards the Military. Lore has it that the Austrian Military wanted a handgun magazine that would not accidentally drop out in the snow and be lost, therefore the original Glock magazines were what we here in the US refer to as "NDF" or Non-drop free also known as NFML or Non-fully metal lined. We here in the US clamored for a magazine that would in fact "Drop Free" and this led to the FML or Fully Metal Lined drop free magazines and the continuing evolution into the Glock magazines  as we now know them. 

I could be totally wrong on this. But my first Glock magazine were these and/or like these. I actually cut the grips (1/2 quarter sized semi-circles on each side of the lower grip frame) of a few  my own Glock to facilitate a quick snatch/grab to manually remove the magazines. I still find myself ripping the mags out when doing a hurried reload at times. Many years of repetitive practice I guess.

• Like 2

When I purchased my G23 in the mid 80's, I also bought spare mags.  I was sent overseas for 4 years and when I returned, my mags were worth more than my Glock.  I sold all my mags and purchased some 10 round ones, which by then were the drop free variety, win-win.  Once the ban was lifted, I replaced them with standard capacity mags.

• Like 1

Yep...I've even heard them referred to as "U" notch Glock Mags.

I'll see if I can attach a photo from this article in the Small Arms Defense Journal:

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=2730

Magazine floor plates are of two distinct types: early versions for the Non-Fully Metal Lined (NFML) magazines and later ones for the Fully Metal Lined (FML) magazines also known as ‘drop-free’ because their greater rigidity causes them to be less likely to stick in the magazine well than their predecessors. The four distinct early versions were originally smooth and then sequentially incorporated a Glock logo, insert button hole, and finally a part number ‘455.’ Later FML floor plates began with a different number ‘3602’ that was eventually omitted.

glock magazine evolution.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
35 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

They are currently going for some pretty steep prices on Gunbroker Red. Pretty steep... :)

Some ridiculous prices it looks like.  So preban mags are still allowed in a few states that have limited capacity magazine restrictions, thus the prices being asked (and bid).  The kicker is many of those states also have a ban on bringing them into the state.

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

Some ridiculous prices it looks like.  So preban mags are still allowed in a few states that have limited capacity magazine restrictions, thus the prices being asked (and bid).  The kicker is many of those states also have a ban on bringing them into the state.

It's crazy isn't it?

Since I posed this question I've been reading on some gun forums up in the NE. I've found several links to various state statutes allowing pre- Sept 1994 made Glock normal capacity mags. (MA for instance).

We here in TN are currently Blessed and I hope we remain so.

11 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thanks for the replies and advice folks. I'll tread cautiously. 

hipower.

It's my understanding, and I trust I'll be corrected if I'm wrong...

When Glock first introduced their handguns onto the world, a primary aim was towards the Military. Lore has it that the Austrian Military wanted a handgun magazine that would not accidentally drop out in the snow and be lost, therefore the original Glock magazines were what we here in the US refer to as "NDF" or Non-drop free also known as NFML or Non-fully metal lined. We here in the US clamored for a magazine that would in fact "Drop Free" and this led to the FML or Fully Metal Lined drop free magazines and the continuing evolution into the Glock magazines  as we now know them. 

I could be totally wrong on this. But my first Glock magazine were these and/or like these. I actually cut the grips (1/2 quarter sized semi-circles on each side of the lower grip frame) of a few  my own Glock to facilitate a quick snatch/grab to manually remove the magazines. I still find myself ripping the mags out when doing a hurried reload at times. Many years of repetitive practice I guess.

Thanks for that information. I never knew that and it's good to know. I actually have mags marked for Military & Police only. I'll have to check them. 

And before you ask, no I have not used them. lol

Have bought Glock mags several times at good pricing and just put them away.

8 hours ago, hipower said:

Thanks for that information. I never knew that and it's good to know. I actually have mags marked for Military & Police only. I'll have to check them. 

And before you ask, no I have not used them. lol

Have bought Glock mags several times at good pricing and just put them away.

Your welcome my friend.

I have quite a few with the "Restricted" stamp on them. When the '94 ban sunset I purchased a bunch through Botach for a ridiculously low price. They were in like new condition when I bought them. 

I hope we never see another "Restricted" period but the future may be somewhat of a challenge.

G mags marked restricted.jpg

Edited by Jamie Jackson
pic added