Cop shoots partner in back

Capbyrd

The Lafayette Police Department of Indiana released body cam footage today showing an officer accidentally shooting a female officer in the back as they attempted to serve a warrant earlier this week.

The shooting has since been determined "accidental" by the police review board, according to theindychannel.com.

Video shows officer Aaron Wright shooting fellow officer Lane Butler in the back after a dog broke out of its cage and charged towards them.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com
Lane Butler and Aaron WrightLafayette Police Department

As officers Wright and Butler attempted to rush out of the house away from the dog, Wright's hand apparently hits the door and discharges his gun, striking officer Butler in the back.

Officer Kurt Sink's body cam shows the bullet go through the door.

"From the moment the dog began to force its way out of the cage, the officers were faced with just a few options in fractions of a second," Lafayette Police Chief Patrick Flannelly said after viewing the videos.

Chief Flannelly says officer Wright never meant to discharge his gun.

"When we asked him he flat out said he had no intention of shooting the dog," he said.

"Officer Wright, from the moment on scene, he took full responsibility and was devastated by the unintentional discharge of his firearm."

Flannelly said the footage shows accidents can unfold in a fraction of a second and didn't personally fault officer Wright, who is expected to return to active duty next week.

The suspect for which the officers were serving a warrant was not apprehended, but does not pose an immediate threat to the public, according to the Journal & Courier.

Watch the full-length video, from two different angles, below.

What really aggravates me about this is that they called it an accident and the guy is back at work.  First off, its negligence.  Not an accident, its negligence.   And secondly, he should be required to take a ton of firearms classes before being put back on the street.   

Also, its interesting that he starts screaming what happened, what happened after it happened.  I don't think he even realized that his gun had fired.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

He didn't need to outrun the dog....he only needed to outrun her.

I get sick of people telling me police officers are the only ones who should have guns.

I just laughed very hard at that first line.  I love it!

2 hours ago, Garufa said:

She should be allowed to shoot that guy in the ass.  He can put a vest over the cheek of his choice, but the shot will be point blank, just as she experienced.

I assume she’s ok?

I haven’t been able to find anything other than critical but stable condition.  

12 hours ago, beebee233 said:

Amazing to me that people who are authorized by the government to carry firearms in the performance of their duties are bound by less stringent rules and regulations regarding the use of them.... A/D hell....

Which "less stringent" rules would that be? If you, as a civilian, accidentally shot someone then what "rules" would apply to you? Criminal charges? No, it wasn't intentional and in the performance of their duties. Civil suit? Yes, he can be sued for that just like a civilian could. Fired? Yes, he could be fired but the PD didn't feel that was warranted. So would rules are you speaking of?

34 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Which "less stringent" rules would that be? If you, as a civilian, accidentally shot someone then what "rules" would apply to you? Criminal charges? No, it wasn't intentional and in the performance of their duties. Civil suit? Yes, he can be sued for that just like a civilian could. Fired? Yes, he could be fired but the PD didn't feel that was warranted. So would rules are you speaking of?

If I shot a fellow employee at work, I would not be back on the job today....or ever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
29 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If I shot a fellow employee at work, I would not be back on the job today....or ever.

Do you work in the unique realm of law enforcement? Take "shot" out of the equation. If you had an accident caused in part by work circumstances would you be fired? Not necessarily.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Do you work in the unique realm of law enforcement? Take "shot" out of the equation. If you had an accident caused in part by work circumstances would you be fired? Not necessarily.

I do not work in law enforcement. You should not take "shot" out of the equation, because that is what happened. You also should not call it an accident. A trigger was pulled and a shot was fired. Not an accident.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

What do you call it?  If he had not been negligent, the gun would not have gone off.  

Do you know the details? Do you know that if you were gun drawn into an abode and a dog came out of the crate your first thought would be, "I need to take my finger off the trigger and holster my weapon before I escape the room!? 

Yeah, sure.

52 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I do not work in law enforcement. You should not take "shot" out of the equation, because that is what happened. You also should not call it an accident. A trigger was pulled and a shot was fired. Not an accident.

You, in fact, do not know all the facts. A common problem with the judgmental people on this forum.

4 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Do you know the details? Do you know that if you were gun drawn into an abode and a dog came out of the crate your first thought would be, "I need to take my finger off the trigger and holster my weapon before I escape the room!? 

Yeah, sure.

He had already cleared the house.  Whoever they were looking for wasn't there and he knew that.  When he went back into the living room there was no need for his gun to be drawn.  

But I'm not going to second guess all of that crap.   The bottom line is that regardless of your job title, there are four rules of gun safety.   If you don't follow them, NEGLIGENCE happens.  Not accidents.  There is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharges.   This can't even be chalked up to mechanical failure.   Its negligence.   Plain and simple.  

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

He had already cleared the house.  Whoever they were looking for wasn't there and he knew that.  When he went back into the living room there was no need for his gun to be drawn.  

But I'm not going to second guess all of that crap.   The bottom line is that regardless of your job title, there are four rules of gun safety.   If you don't follow them, NEGLIGENCE happens.  Not accidents.  There is no such thing as an accidental discharge, only negligent discharges.   This can't even be chalked up to mechanical failure.   Its negligence.   Plain and simple.  

Whatever.

32 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

You, in fact, do not know all the facts. A common problem with the judgmental people on this forum.

Can we agree he shot his partner? If so, that should not have happened unless his partner somehow became a lethal threat to him.