Cop shoots partner in back

Capbyrd

From what I have been hearing for the last couple months is that all police departments are having trouble finding new recruits to put through their academy's!! In other words they are having trouble finding new cops. That might be why he is still on the job. They may not be able to replace him with another warm body to put on a uniform..............JMHO

Well for what they get paid for putting their lives on the line, you can't blame them. Especially since the last few years and all the cop shooters. It used to be that a policeman was respected, but no longer. Of course it used to be that I was respected, no longer. Hmmm. Pattern here??

Yes it is easy to be arm chair quarterback here, everything happens at a split second, he may have had gun drawn and because of the dog trying to escape that took their attention. Personally if the dog was a viscous dog like a pit bull, I would have just shot him and ended that threat. No sense in either one of them getting bit. JMHO.

Edited by Dirtshooter

I reposted that music vid not as a dig against Cops so much but more of a dig at those who say only Cops should have guns.

Police as a group probably have fewer bad apples than the general population but they do have bad apples.

I saw a new term (to me) in the article. "unintentional discharge of his firearm."   kinda diminishes the situation a bit, makes his stupid handling of the firearm sound less his fault. Call it what it is, Negligent.

• Moderators

I’ve watched the bodycam video of this incident several times and I can only come to the conclusion of negligence.

If you watch the footage closely you can see that every time the female officer is in view, she is safely indexing her trigger finger and exercising good muzzle discipline. Her training stuck and it is a shame that she ended up paying the price for her partner’s negligence. There is no other way to legitimately describe his weapons handling other than negligent and its synonyms.

The whole time he was rolling around the house with his weapon in his hand, his finger was on the trigger and he flagged her more than once. The end result was sadly predictable. 

I pray she is able to fully recover from this incident. I also hope that her partner receives the remedial training he so obviously needs. 

***A warning to all parties involved in this discussion.***

Ensure that your posts are limited to the topic at hand. The policy on TGO is and remains that generalized cop bashing is not allowed. Normally threads critical of LE must be related to TN, but I’m allowing this thread to go forward because I believe that we can all learn lessons from this incident. The reminder of what happens when folks get complacent is never a bad thing. 

Still, be careful with what you say and how you say it. Keep it topical and keep it respectful. You can be critical of LE (obviously I am) but ensure that your posts provide value and intelligent discourse beyond “cops are bad, mmmkay?”

• Like 1

Sorry if anyone took this as cop bashing or about cops in any way.  The story really has nothing to do with him being a cop.  The only reason that is even relevant is that he was at work when this occurred.  Imagine if this was a husband wife pair that were clearing their house after they heard a noise.   Imagine how the conversation would be different.   Nothing I said would change.

Do y’all remember when Tex shot himself and we talked about that video.  Well this is the Same thing.   

• Like 1

The story says the gun discharged when it hit the door as they were trying to get out. I think we can all agree if he had his finger on the trigger it was his fault; if he didn’t, it wasn’t.

The good news is the Officer is out of the hospital and expected to fully recover and return to work.

51 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The story says the gun discharged when it hit the door as they were trying to get out. I think we can all agree if he had his finger on the trigger it was his fault; if he didn’t, it wasn’t.

The good news is the Officer is out of the hospital and expected to fully recover and return to work.

I know I never said that it wasn't his fault.

20 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Can we agree he shot his partner? If so, that should not have happened unless his partner somehow became a lethal threat to him.

I agree that he shot his partner and that it was his fault. I never said that it wasn't his fault.

What I don't agree with is people who have NEVER done the job, never have been in any similar situation, or their only experience with gun handling has been on a range, bashing the guy and saying that he's held to a different standard.

8 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

I agree that he shot his partner and that it was his fault. I never said that it wasn't his fault.

What I don't agree with is people who have NEVER done the job, never have been in any similar situation, or their only experience with gun handling has been on a range, bashing the guy and saying that he's held to a different standard.

Take the uniform off of the guy.  Now how do you feel about it?   Just an average Joe walking through his house with his gun in his hand and he shoots his wife or kid in the back.   Do your feelings change?  Cause mine don't.   The only standard I'm holding him to are the four rules of gun safety.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Capbyrd said:

Take the uniform off of the guy.  Now how do you feel about it?   Just an average Joe walking through his house with his gun in his hand and he shoots his wife or kid in the back.   Do your feelings change?  Cause mine don't.   The only standard I'm holding him to are the four rules of gun safety.  

My initial response in this thread was to a member who said that the officer is being held to a lower standard because he was a cop. If you accidentally shoot your wife because you hit a door while your finger was on the trigger it's no more, nor less, of an accident because you weren't wearing a uniform. The uniform has nothing to do with it.

16 hours ago, SWJewellTN said:

My initial response in this thread was to a member who said that the officer is being held to a lower standard because he was a cop. If you accidentally shoot your wife because you hit a door while your finger was on the trigger it's no more, nor less, of an accident because you weren't wearing a uniform. The uniform has nothing to do with it.

If you hit a door while your finger is on the trigger then you were by definition violating the four rules of firearm safety.

Negligence.

14 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Really? Duh!

You said it was an accident.   Beebee said it was negligence and you agreed.   Which is it?   I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as an accident.   Only negligence. 

56 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

You said it was an accident.   Beebee said it was negligence and you agreed.   Which is it?   I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing as an accident.   Only negligence. 

If you look up the definitions one doesn't preclude the other. Accidents are often caused by negligence which is why you can take tort actions. Accident essentially means unintentional. One is mindset whereas the other is lack of due care. What I find offensive is not people saying it was negligence rather that the cop is held at a lower standard than the rest. I can see just about everyone on the forum doing the same thing if a dog was coming after them. Unfortunately, there are some self-righteous vultures on here that can't see the same. 

18 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

If you look up the definitions one doesn't preclude the other. Accidents are often caused by negligence which is why you can take tort actions. Accident essentially means unintentional. One is mindset whereas the other is lack of due care. What I find offensive is not people saying it was negligence rather that the cop is held at a lower standard than the rest. I can see just about everyone on the forum doing the same thing if a dog was coming after them. Unfortunately, there are some self-righteous vultures on here that can't see the same. 

I still don't see the difference in standards. I said that if I shot a co worker, I'd no longer be employed. This officer did just that, yet is still employed. Where's the higher standard?

I screw up a lot. Everyone who does anything productive does. Some screw ups cost a lot more than others.

22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I still don't see the difference in standards. I said that if I shot a co worker, I'd no longer be employed. This officer did just that, yet is still employed. Where's the higher standard?

I screw up a lot. Everyone who does anything productive does. Some screw ups cost a lot more than others.

It wasn't you who said it but you commented on it as if you supported it.

EDIT: You even liked the post where it was stated.

Edited by SWJewellTN
Clarity
On 1/15/2019 at 6:12 AM, DWARREN123 said:

He is going to have a problem finding a new partner. Maybe they were partners off the job, too!

The way he was calling her baby....yep...2 young officers working together....it is what it is.

Hope she makes a speedy recovery and he learns to keep his booger hook off the bang button.