Ruger SR9/40/45 family is no more

Capbyrd

For 2019, Ruger has decided to cease production of the SR family of striker fired pistols.  

Personally, I think they made a big mistake.  I guess they wanted to push the American but I think the SR would have done better if they released it in a "pro" model without the safety.  

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I bought a sr9c from a buddy as a favor and then let him buy it back when finances improved. I shouldn't have. I liked it. 

Sometimes the decisions are less about good guns and more about marketing and profit. 

Absolutely.  I don't think the American has performed like they thought though.  The Security 9 on the other hand seems to be doing well.   But I think price has as much to do with that as anything else.   

I bought my wife an sr9c several years ago. She carries a M&P Shield 9mm now but she still has the Ruger. I still enjoy shooting the sr9c when we take it out. It has been very reliable and even though the Shield is more comfortable by a small margin, it’s a pleasure to shoot and always goes bang. Hate to hear they’re shutting it down though. Wonder if the Shields popularity has anything to do with this decision?

5 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

I bought my wife an sr9c several years ago. She carries a M&P Shield 9mm now but she still has the Ruger. I still enjoy shooting the sr9c when we take it out. It has been very reliable and even though the Shield is more comfortable by a small margin, it’s a pleasure to shoot and always goes bang. Hate to hear they’re shutting it down though. Wonder if the Shields popularity has anything to do with this decision?

Absolutely not.   The shield competes with the EC9.   

6 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I bought a sr9c from a buddy as a favor and then let him buy it back when finances improved. I shouldn't have. I liked it. 

Sometimes the decisions are less about good guns and more about marketing and profit. 

I foolishly sold an SR45. One of the best and softest shooting, non 1911, pistols I've shot.

Love my SR9 because it feels right in my hand. Because of that I shoot it well but...

I dislike the loaded chamber indicator. I have an early model and it's like a big fin sticking up. Also the trigger has the feel of a staple gun.

They came out with a simplified version without the "fin" and I plan on acquiring one someday. No rush and until then my older SR9 suits my needs fine. It's been a good gun. Ruger should have kept it unless sales were bad.

22 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Love my SR9 because it feels right in my hand. Because of that I shoot it well but...

I dislike the loaded chamber indicator. I have an early model and it's like a big fin sticking up. Also the trigger has the feel of a staple gun.

They came out with a simplified version without the "fin" and I plan on acquiring one someday. No rush and until then my older SR9 suits my needs fine. It's been a good gun. Ruger should have kept it unless sales were bad.

Sales tanked because they brought out the Security 9 at a lower price.  

And I've never understood the complaint about the LCI.   I never notice it when shooting.   

3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Sales tanked because they brought out the Security 9 at a lower price.  

And I've never understood the complaint about the LCI.   I never notice it when shooting.   

Fin was a bit large on the first ones. Even though I never noticed while shooting either I just thought it was excessive. Never handled a newer one with smaller fin, or the budget version with a viewing slot.

Another safety feature was the mag disconnect. I read where dry fire will damage gun because of it,

but it was easily removed thanks to a youtube vid. Again I feel it was/is a fine weapon.

10 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Fin was a bit large on the first ones. Even though I never noticed while shooting either I just thought it was excessive. Never handled a newer one with smaller fin, or the budget version with a viewing slot.

Another safety feature was the mag disconnect. I read where dry fire will damage gun because of it,

but it was easily removed thanks to a youtube vid. Again I feel it was/is a fine weapon.

Yeah I removed the mag disconnect immediately.  Its never been shot with it installed.